Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Cargo Doors
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i do know that the doors on the brazil bus are differnt than these doors above. there is no extra key hole and the inner supports are similar to post barndoor but there are stamping for the inner lever box on both sides.
52 deelux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widehatch,

The photos of the doors on the 82 bus are NOT suitable for barndoor. The inner frame design is completely different.

The early Brazilian doors do fit the aperture on barndoor buses, but in my experience, the swage lines don't line up. Also the belt line pressing profile is a different shape, so it doesn't match the adjacent shape on the body.

Another detail is the left hand Brazilian door requires the small striker piece which the right hand door latches against. The depth of the mounting area on the right hand doors lock mechansim may also be different, making it incompatible with a genuine left hand door.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch. thats the info i wanted. the guy with the brazilian bus is pressuring the shit out of me to buy so he can go buy a 72 project bus. when i first looked at it 6 months ago i noticed the doors and thought they look alot like barndoor. now the guy has decided its too much of a project and hes ready to sell it for scrap next monday so he can get money to buy a 72. the cargo doors and rear suspension are really the only good things left on it. i didnt want to spend money i dont have to begin with to buy some doors for a bus i dont even own. i just wanted to save some barndoor doors before they got turned into a toyota prius. thanks
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Cargo Doors Reply with quote

Here's one on Facebook for sale at the moment. Says it's a 73' ....I don't find it super crazy that they used these down there in the 70's. To me what IS weird is that they seem to be randomly used. Doesn't seem to be any good reason as to why they just sporadically used Barndoor parts, mixed with 60's and 70's.
Is there any literature that suggests they had 'levels of trim' back then in Brazil?
Did some roll out of a shack spec'd as 'standard' vs 'commercial' vs 'deluxe' ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: