Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

I've got part of a bus side mirror that has 'VWOA' stamped on the back of it, but not the usual VW stamp on it.

This is the first time I've seen this stamp, as being in the UK it must have come over on a US market T2 bus?

Were there many other VWOA stamped parts?

I will post up a pic of the mirror when I get the chance but was wondering what other VWOA parts there were, and were they just for T2's, or did bugs get VWOA parts as well?

Thanks.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

Definitely Bugs got VWOA parts. My 71 Super Beetle has bumper over-riders that are VWOA parts.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

VWOA was a brand of dealer supplied options, not made by VW, but apparently approved by them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

That would surprise me, although for tax and other reasons I suppose it was possible. Autobahn was another odd brand that was sanctioned at dealers.

Common for bumper guard rubber to be marked VWOA. This could be for import reasons (overriders and large bumper guards were often tagged as "USA Ram Protection" or similar), or even for balance of trade agreement reasons.

Anyone got more on this?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

https://www.zippia.com/volkswagen-group-of-america-careers-43830/history/
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

I don't see a connection between the link posted and the parts business.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

example. I have an orange factory service manual for my 1977 VW bus. It was printed in English on European sized paper in Wolfsburg Germany by Volkswagenwerks Aktiengesellschaft. (Volkswagen Incorporated as a Public Company). The factory dealers in the United States, who got their inventory from VW Group of America (VWOA), did not sell it to the public. What VWOA did was contract the publication to a company to copyright and produce here in the United States. So if in 1975 you walked into a VW Dealership and asked to purchase a "factory service manual," you got the VWOA version that was printed by the printing company they contracted to, Bentley Publishers. The early Bentley manual I have says Volkswagen Group of America on it. I don't know if the late ones do or not. The early Bentley manuals were almost identical to the factory manuals that VW in Germany printed. Volkswagen Group of America (VWOA) and Volkswagenwerks Aktiengesellschaft of Germany (VWOG) are two different companies. VWOA answered to the parent, VWOG but they did not do things 100% the way VWOG did. If VWOA wanted to market a parts line of high volume parts, that the factory did not want to be involved with, they could market those parts under VWOA's name. Example, VWOG buys mirrors from someone each year who bids on them to VWOG's specs. Maybe there is a shortage and VWOG tells VWOA we can't get you the quantity you need. VWOA says, will you let us buy them from another manufacturer who also bid on them so we don't run out? If VWOG says yes, then the part is sold in a VWOA parts box with a VWOA stamp on it. If it goes bad then VWOG isn't stuck paying to replace it, VWOA is.

Another example of sorts, today you might buy a new part from Classic VW DE. That company is owned by VWOG but it is a separate company. The part you get might be an original part VWOG made or contracted to have made, or it might be a reproduction. It will probably have a VW stamp on it and come in some kind of VW packaging.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

all of your 3rd party accessories were VWOA, like a/c units, trim kits etc. they are 100% legit parts and sometimes highly sought after.

just an example are floor mats, sliding door steps, a/c units, roof racks, antennas, radios etc

google VWoA accessories, they still exist today. You can buy a Thule roof box under the VWoA name for example.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

Hello,
FunkyOldPatina wrote:
I've got part of a bus side mirror that has 'VWOA' stamped on the back of it, but not the usual VW stamp on it.

is it a special mirror? Bigger or convex to be an special accessorie?
Any photo with details?

The original VW mirrors have a small VW sign and part number in the foot of the screw connection to the door (invisible if mounted).
Most of us will have today a replacement without this from Brazil or OEM companies as Hagus etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

most of these VWoA (Volkswagen of America) special models for US market only (as "Wild Westener" T2 or "Sport" bumble bee Karmann-Ghia) or accessories have a "ZVW" part number on the original package - put not on all the single parts. Also ordered in the US, these are not mounted in production in Germany, these are mounted afterwards in the US. The basic US models are produced in Germany completely also with specials like engines only for the US.

Here some examples of my collection for T2 VWoA add-ons:

ZVW 203 225 A/C

ZVW 146 201 Dashboard Kit:

ZVW 146-234 Wild Westerner Body Stripe:

ZVW 201 709 Speed Control

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

It's not entirely clear to me that "Volkswagen Group of America" and "VWOA" are the same entity.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me that "Volkswagen Group of America" and "VWOA" are the same entity.

Yes. They are.

As per VW's linked in site....and I paraphrase a bit....

Founded in 1955 Volkswagen of America Inc is an operating unit of Volkswagen group of America.

Understand that VW is and always has been hard-core on advertising and marketing and their image.
Volkswagen "group" of America as a name....did not really speak to "Americans" at that point in time.
In fact it did not exist. VW did not acquire Auto Union until 1965....so the term "group" was later.

Autobahn parts and VWoA parts are straight up VW parts.

A lot of this was done....making an American subsidiary entity of VW of Germany.....for everything from tax differences to the fact that US models were so different in so many subtle and not so subtle ways....parts wise.....that some later models had entirely different ordering codes for bringing in parts from Germany.

Notice I said "ordering codes" and not part #s.

Also I had read somewhere long ago that there were legal and industry issues in Germany regarding where parts were produced and sourced from. Much of it HAD to be from Germany by law. At least a specific percentage.

This was not the case in North America and these parts were pulled from places all over the world where VW produced parts.

Autobahn parts had actual made in Germany parts, Czech parts, Mexican and brazil8an parts and even a few US and French made parts. I found the quality was overall excellent.

I would suspect that changing the name to Autobahn from actual VW was probably a way to insulate the Marque from any potential issues.

https://www.linkedin.com/mwlite/company/volkswagen-of-america-inc

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yes. They are.
Founded in 1955 Volkswagen of America Inc is an operating unit of Volkswagen group of America.

Of course they are related, but your answer indicates they are not the same entity; one is a unit of the other, as I suspected.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yes. They are.

Of course they are related, but your answer indicates they are not the same entity; one is a unit of the other, as I suspected.

Yes....but it was created by VW and not just a renamed vendor or acquired vendor.

While they may not be the exact same legal entity, they are the same ownership. VW created VWoA and Autobahn and owns them

Its really no different than Ford and Motorcraft. Ford actually OWNS Motorcraft....but...being that they are technically seperate entities owned by one company....Motorcraft has the legal freedom among its factories to produce parts for other car manufacturers like Mazda. The other internal parts line "Ford Genuine parts" does not manufacture for other companies.

There were Autobahn accessory parts that were also made for BMW and other cars.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

KtPhil - companies do this all the time. When you go to Costco and buy a Costco Kirkland labeled product someone else made it. VW doesn't make all their parts. They buy them and put their label on the parts. Think Bosch for example. If VW sets up and owns a company in the USA, that company can buy a Bosch part thru VW or directly from Bosch. It is still a Bosch part, and VW makes a profit when it is sold whether it is VWOG or VWOA that sells it.

You and your spouse may own a business. You may decide to set up another one in another state as a separate corporation to protect yourself from lawsuits and legal issues at that new company. If it fails it can go BK without your present company being directly included. Companies do this ALL the Time.

Example:

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
KtPhil - companies do this all the time. When you go to Costco and buy a Costco Kirkland labeled product someone else made it. VW doesn't make all their parts. They buy them and put their label on the parts. Think Bosch for example. If VW sets up and owns a company in the USA, that company can buy a Bosch part thru VW or directly from Bosch. It is still a Bosch part, and VW makes a profit when it is sold whether it is VWOG or VWOA that sells it.

You and your spouse may own a business. You may decide to set up another one in another state as a separate corporation to protect yourself from lawsuits and legal issues at that new company. If it fails it can go BK without your present company being directly included. Companies do this ALL the Time.

Example:

Hmmm....that picture says a thousand words ...and is really the equivalent of a contact tracing chart...of the spread of herpes at a gang bang..... Wink ....but from a media and television point of view.... Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

from the VWOA website

Quote:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWGoA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, one of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers and the largest carmaker in Europe. VWGoA houses the U.S. operations of a worldwide family of distinguished and exciting brands including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Volkswagen, as well as VW Credit, Inc. Volkswagen Group of America Chattanooga Operations, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of VWGoA, operates an assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Founded in 1955, VWGoA’s headquarters are in Herndon, Va.; the company has approximately 6,000 employees in the United States and sells its vehicles through a network of approximately 1,000 independent dealers.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

I am banging my head against a wall here. I'll try not to be insulting, but it's getting harder...

VWOA is not Volkswagen Group of America. Notice the extra word, "group." Related, of course. But not identical. Got it?

Furthermore, we are talking about the relationship 50 years ago, not today. Got it?

Not my first rodeo. I've been following this parts and the VW, et al, corporate setup for 50 years, and I don't need pandering web quotes that are totally irrelevant to the topic, which is the parts heredity 50 years ago.

So repeating the same crap that does not address this is like talking to a telephone "press 1 to..." system with no exit, and I long for a sentient human being.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am banging my head against a wall here. I'll try not to be insulting, but it's getting harder...

VWOA is not Volkswagen Group of America. Notice the extra word, "group." Related, of course. But not identical. Got it?

Furthermore, we are talking about the relationship 50 years ago, not today. Got it?

Not my first rodeo. I've been following this parts and the VW, et al, corporate setup for 50 years, and I don't need pandering web quotes that are totally irrelevant to the topic, which is the parts heredity 50 years ago.

So repeating the same crap that does not address this is like talking to a telephone "press 1 to..." system with no exit, and I long for a sentient human being.

What is not to understand? Volkswagen Group of America is responsible for the sale of automobiles that fall under that umbrella. Those brands being Volkswagen and Audi. At one time it included Porsche but not anymore.

VWoA is an entity within that group. They sell VW cars, VW parts and VW branded parts.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

KTPhil, you are making this harder that it has to be. VWOA and VWGOA are the same organization. VWOA is a DBA of VWGOA.

Here is an excerpt from a court case:

"Federal Trade Commission, Plaintiff, v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., a corporation, also doing business as Volkswagen of America, Inc., also doing business as Audi of America, Inc., Defendant."
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: VWOA - VW of America parts - are they legit? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: