Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L-Jet troubles
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: L-Jet troubles Reply with quote

OK Im resurrecting this ancient thread. Im not working with a T2 but a 914.
Regardless it shouldn't make a difference.

Problem:
2056 was running Carbs but is now switched to a L-Jet system from the 1.8L 914.
AFM has been opened & altered from OE settings.
Only other non-stock elements are new injectors (SMP) 2.0L intakes (to match 914 2.0L heads) & new GoWesty throttle body.
Everything else in new (hoses lines) or tested to be in spec. (CHT, AAR thermo-time)
I smoke tested the motor & its sealed up with no Vac. leaks.
When the motor was rebuilt it did have a non-stock cam installed & I think this is a significant part of my problem.
It has either a Raby 9530 or 9580 cam installed which both have significantly more duration that a stock cam.
I timed the motor to spec & am now fighting to get it to IDLE or adjust it to pull smoothly through gears under load.
I've got a an LM-1 installed so I am able to monitor (while driving) the AFR.

Symptoms:
once motor is warmed & idle is adjusted to 1000-1100 RPM it seems to taper off & stall every time.
If adjusted up enough to stay lit & driven it encounters a couple of "flat" spots...but when monitoring the LM-1 the motor is going VERY RICH when that is encountered.
Overall the AFR is rich at idle & isn't too far off under load (14.-16.)
I've been going back & forth & chasing my tail...

I'm hopeful there are some of you that have BTDT~
& can provide some guidance.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: L-Jet troubles Reply with quote

Post in the Bay window forum as there are a lot of L-Jet pros there. A cam usually requires a different timing point than stock. Have you checked the quality of your spark (Blue not Yellow) as there are a lot of bad condensers out there from China.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet troubles Reply with quote

yup non fuel injected cam, always causes that problem
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet troubles Reply with quote

The cam probably has too much intake duration to keep the air flowing smoothly at low (idle) speeds. So it is causing a bit of back flow, reversion until the higher speed momentum of the air just smooths out the flow.
As a short term fix and possibly trouble shooting tip, might try to just set the valves a LITTLE loose. As much as .008-.010" lash would lower the duration a little. much more an you will hear clatter, which may or may not cause damage.
Keep in mind some HP American cars used as much as .030" valve lash. (365/375hp Chevy 327s and DZ 302 Camaros.)
Actual 912E's used an AFM that had a DAMPER in it. (Bosch guy told me this. that's all I know)
912E was the ONLY 2 liter type 4 Porsche spec motor with L-Jet. others used D-jet. Manifold pressure.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: