Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW transaxle in 356
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW transaxle in 356 Reply with quote

Sorry I never got any feedback on this. I've been inside the 356 box and would say its good for a 110hp as is. I don't know whats available to beef it up but I do know I can't afford it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
To fit a a VW trans in a C 356 without modifying the tunnel will be very tricky indeed. The problem is that the selector shaft will be above the torsion bar housing, rather than below. PreA cars can receive a split case VW trans without modification. It MAY be possible to fit a full synchro VW trans (or split trans, but why bother) to fit the linkage in the tunnel. It would require installation of the preA/A mouse trap, swinging gate linkage where the selector shaft enters the interior to lower the linkage in to the tunnel. A taller, largerA style linkage cover would also need to be fitted. Since the motion of the shifter is now reversed, a gear shift lever from a later 914 would be needed with mods to the tunnel where it bolts on. A custom shaft would have to be fabricated. I have not done this mod, nor seen it done, but think it could be made to work. Rolling Eyes

Ranch Transaxle has this nose cone now that you can bolt on a 60's VW trans for a single mount Pre A type to monkey motion. You have to clearance or hammer up at the top of the nose cone under the back seat a little.

Donut-Style Nose Cone Conversion
$395.00

This unique nose cone allows builders to install a full-syncro transaxle into a 1952 and earlier Beetle, 1959 and earlier bus and 1952 and earlier 356 when installing a full syncro VW transaxle. The install is straight forward bolt on and utilizes the early stock donut rubber mount. Additionally the new cone ensures that the engine remains in its standard location. Each kit comes complete with bushings and custom hockey stick pre-installed. RUBBER DONUT MOUNT NOT INCLUDED.

http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/donut-style-nose-cone-conversion/
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW transaxle in 356 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
hate to revive this, but I too would like to know just how much horse power can a 356 trans handle?

and whats avail out there to upgrade/strengthen it?

Depends on how you drive it also. I've picked a 912 motor with a stroker crank, high dome pistons with what looks like 1/2" spacers under the cylinders, bigger valves and some porting. The guy ran 48 Webers and had it in a Speedster. He said it had too much carb. Dude said it was pretty fast and could get rubber in 3rd gear.

If your going to drive it hard you could damage a expensive 356 trans. I was thinking of putting it in my 53 with a VW built trans.

Look on the 356Registry Outlaw and Main discussion boards and you can probably find some more info. Good Luck.
frikendelicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW transaxle in 356 Reply with quote

Hi, I’m fitting a beetle gearbox in my 58 356 using a bus nose cone running the shifter above the tunnel. I also use the original rear hoop and mounting rubber from Porsche. It seems that my box is a little to much to the rear of the car! Is hangs completely free, no rubbing or touching the body. The rear hoop is defining the lateral position.

Are the axles on the vw gearbox in the same location compared with the Porsche box if you measure to the rear belhousing? I assume you would want a 90 degree angle between springplates and axle tube?
Thanks,
Jeroen
deluxe hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW transaxle in 356 Reply with quote

frikendelicious wrote:
running the shifter above the tunnel.
Jeroen

Can you give any details of what parts/how you are doing the above the tunnel shifter? I plan on doing the same with a '57A with orig trans, less the monkey motion unit.

cheers
frikendelicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: VW transaxle in 356 Reply with quote

Hi,
I used a bus nose cone and it fits exactly through the original shift linkage hole.
I use a modified in length beetle shift linkage and a beetle shifter on a raised base.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: