Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eriba Pucks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

I should post some updates on my Puck. We've had a full summer using it pretty much every weekend. I'll maybe try to get on that soon.

I did want to reply to this though:

Daddybus wrote:
The front door of the Trucker fridge has a removeable panel. I painted the trim aluminum and I painted the panel blue like the stove & sink.
I used one of these
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/1514157

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/11886

As it turns out, that particular line of Rust-oleum isn't available in Canada. I even emailed the company to see if any of the colours were the same in any other lines, but no luck.
We did a road trip through Idaho and Washington in July and stopped at at least 6 or 8 Ace Hardware stores hoping to get a can, but struck out. It seemed like there are product shortages, since half of the paint shelves were bare. And of course, none of the stores had the Maui Blue or Harbor Blue cans. Just my luck. So that will have to be a next year project when we make it back to the US.

I also spent more time than I care to admit working with a sign printing shop, hoping to have a sheet of vinyl cut to cover the fridge door. No luck there either. We would get close, but when compared to the sink and fridge, it just wasn't close enough and didn't look right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Greetings Folks,

I was very glad to find this thread. I spent most of a day by the fire reading through it from beginning to end. It was both educational and entertaining.

I have been the proud owner of a '67 Puck for 15-20 years. I bought it off eBay from a NYC police officer who lived in NJ. There is a furniture manufacturing company in my hometown. They send furniture everywhere and they also back-haul different items. Lucky for me they were able to pick up the camper in NYC. So, at around midnight, at the end of the George Washington Bridge, with help from a rollback belonging to the city of NY, my Puck was loaded into a semi trailer. Many hours later, it finally made it home to me.

It came with an original sales brochure. According to the brochure, it was imported by Eriba Travel Trailer Importers, Inc. of Glendale, NY. There is a stamp on the brochure from L. O. Gould, an authorized Airsteam dealer in Bloomsbury, NJ. I can only assume that was where it was bought new. Not sure though.

I have always towed it behind my '79 Superbeetle. The convertible was my first VW. I have owned it for going on 36 years. Together, we've gone on many camping adventures.

The Puck wasn't perfect when I got it. It's still not perfect. I doubt it ever will be. The stove still works and so do the interior and exterior lights. The water pump is still operational. The cabinets are in good condition. I would like to find a couple of small items that it didn't have when I bought it. Over time, I have had the cushions reupholstered, had new curtains made, replaced the bearings/seals, and bought new tires. It came with a heavy, blue/white striped awning and some wooden poles. I have since purchased a new awning and poles. The canvas needs replacing and the headliner is coming loose. Both are on the to-do list. I'll have to seek out a professional shop to do the work. The convertible has the original top, padding, and headliner. They also need replacing as they are showing their age. I'd like to find a shop that would be willing to do the car and the camper.

I have never seen another Puck on the road, at a VW show, or in a campground. People, as you all know, are always curious about the little camper. They don't know what it is, where it came from, or anything else about it. It makes for good conversation. I've met lots of interesting people. VW owners are generally interesting in our own right. A rare breed you might say.

I added a couple of pictures of the two together. They were taken in the Cades Cove area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I've also added a link to an album with more photos of the Puck inside and out along with some pictures of the brochure.

I'm glad to have found some other Puck owners. Hopefully, someday I'll get to meet some of you. That is, if I haven't already and just don't know it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92451820@N00/albums/72157648595315953

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

That's a nice looking Puck! It's nice to see you get lots of use out of it. The brochures you have are great- are you able to add them to the gallery here to make sure they're always available to view? There's not a lot of that kind of info out there.

When you decide to replace the canvas, get in touch with Matt's Soft Tops in the UK (https://matts-soft-tops.co.uk/). Amazing quality, and probably cheaper than having one made locally.

You're not alone if you've never seen another Puck! I previously owned a Troll, and the guy I bought my Puck from has a Pan, but that's it for me. I've heard legends of 4 other Pucks within Montana, Alberta, and BC, but they are pretty few and far between for sure.
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
That's a nice looking Puck! It's nice to see you get lots of use out of it. The brochures you have are great- are you able to add them to the gallery here to make sure they're always available to view? There's not a lot of that kind of info out there.

When you decide to replace the canvas, get in touch with Matt's Soft Tops in the UK (https://matts-soft-tops.co.uk/). Amazing quality, and probably cheaper than having one made locally.

You're not alone if you've never seen another Puck! I previously owned a Troll, and the guy I bought my Puck from has a Pan, but that's it for me. I've heard legends of 4 other Pucks within Montana, Alberta, and BC, but they are pretty few and far between for sure.

Thanks CanStan. Good to hear from another Puck owner. I am planning on adding the brochure pictures to the gallery. I'm just not sure what category they fall under. VW parts and accessories or VW literature or something else? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the heads up about Matt's Soft Tops. I think I saw something in one of the threads about it and I saved the link.

At one point, I had two Pucks and a Familia. The Familia was too big to be towed by my Superbeetle and I really didn't need two Pucks at that time so I sold them. I think the Familia went to Arizona, but I can't remember where the Puck ended up.

Take care.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Nice puck and story!

The literature section is fine for the brochures even though it's not "VW" literature, that section is for any sort of VW accessory or add-on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice puck and story!

The literature section is fine for the brochures even though it's not "VW" literature, that section is for any sort of VW accessory or add-on.

Thanks Everett! I'll add the photos to the gallery today.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

I hope this link was not previously posted but I'm trying to determine if some pucks were lighter than others. According to this link they weigh 1.1K lbs. According to my 2013 Honda Fit Sport I can only tow up to 900lbs. Are there lighter pucks?

https://www.bugpuck.be/en/eriba-caravans/eriba-puck.htm
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I hope this link was not previously posted but I'm trying to determine if some pucks were lighter than others. According to this link they weigh 1.1K lbs. According to my 2013 Honda Fit Sport I can only tow up to 900lbs. Are there lighter pucks?

I have a '67 Puck. I think it weighs around 660lbs. My convertible has a stock engine and pulls it fine.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

I think that’s bad info in that link. Maybe they got the pounds and kilograms mixed up?
I can’t see any possible way to double the weight of a Puck unless you loaded it with bricks.

My old Eriba Troll posted a few pages back in this thread was only about 1800lbs and is literally 3-4 times the size of a Puck.
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice/information. I have a '67 Puck. I have never used the dining table because I was unable to attach it to the rear shelf. One of the brackets on the rear shelf is missing and one of the brackets on the table is missing. Are these still available anywhere? Does anyone have any ideas on what I could replace them with?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Professor39 wrote:
Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice/information. I have a '67 Puck. I have never used the dining table because I was unable to attach it to the rear shelf. One of the brackets on the rear shelf is missing and one of the brackets on the table is missing. Are these still available anywhere? Does anyone have any ideas on what I could replace them with?

I know you can get used hinges (maybe new ones as well?) from EribaSar in Germany.
For what it’s worth, my old Troll was missing the proper table hinges too, and the previous owner just screwed on some residential interior door hinges. There was a loose fitting pin that was easy enough to slide in and out as needed.
A bit of a hokey setup, but it did work just fine. And it wasn’t noticeable.

Home Depot has a huge selection of cabinet door and other styles of hinges. Maybe there’s something you could find there?

That said, getting the proper hinges from Germany likely won’t be very expensive.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with a solution to mount bag awning to the side of a Puck?

I have an aluminum case awning for my bus that I thought about trying to mount to the Eriba, but there would just way too much weight pulling down and outward for the rain gutter to handle.

I picked up a light-weight bag awning, which seems like it would work well. The issue is brackets. The GoWesty style have an arm that comes down and braces against the body. That won’t work on the thin, hallow walls of the trailer. At best, it would make a dent. At worst, it would push right through the aluminum.

Has anyone found an existing bracket that would work for this?
I could probably have something custom made, but the cost would be prohibitive for one set. Maybe if there were several people interested in them, it could be worthwhile.
But ultimately, it would be great to find an off-the-shelf solution.
Professor39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Eriba Pucks Reply with quote

Quote:
I know you can get used hinges (maybe new ones as well?) from EribaSar in Germany.
For what it’s worth, my old Troll was missing the proper table hinges too, and the previous owner just screwed on some residential interior door hinges. There was a loose fitting pin that was easy enough to slide in and out as needed.
A bit of a hokey setup, but it did work just fine. And it wasn’t noticeable.

Home Depot has a huge selection of cabinet door and other styles of hinges. Maybe there’s something you could find there?

That said, getting the proper hinges from Germany likely won’t be very expensive.

Thanks! I actually found the missing/broken piece. It appears to be nothing more than a simple lift-off hinge. I'm going to take the broken piece to a hardware store to see if I can find a match. If not, I may contact the supplier in Germany. Take care
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96
Jump to:
Page 96 of 96

Jump to: