Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toyota Tacoma - real life experience
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

cantdrv55 wrote:
I don’t get why Toyota bulked up the Tacoma. The old small Toyota trucks were great. I had an ‘82 and it was rock solid reliable and fun to drive. I gave it away when it had 255,000 miles but before that, many landscapers in the area offered to buy it from me.

All the manufacturers "bulked up" their trucks. Do you see any new Chevy LUV equivalents? Or Hi-Luxes? No. New mini pickups like the ones from the '70's and early '80's are long gone. We'll wait and see if they ever return. I doubt it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

cantdrv55 wrote:
I don’t get why Toyota bulked up the Tacoma. The old small Toyota trucks were great.

Tacoma got larger for 2004 year, and Nissan Frontier got larger for 2005 year. These larger trucks won't fit in my garage readily, why I have 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, and 2004 Frontier.

Even GM Canyon/Colorados grew, as did new Rangers. You watch: someone will come out again with compact pickup, and be hailed as innovative....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
cantdrv55 wrote:
I don’t get why Toyota bulked up the Tacoma. The old small Toyota trucks were great. I had an ‘82 and it was rock solid reliable and fun to drive. I gave it away when it had 255,000 miles but before that, many landscapers in the area offered to buy it from me.

All the manufacturers "bulked up" their trucks. Do you see any new Chevy LUV equivalents? Or Hi-Luxes? No. New mini pickups like the ones from the '70's and early '80's are long gone. We'll wait and see if they ever return. I doubt it.

For many years, light trucks did not need to meet "regular car" safety regulations in the USA. Is this still the case, or has that sunseted? If they need to meet crash tests those mini-trucks probably have no chance, at least not without bulking up, making them less efficient and more expensive... and hence a failure in the marketplace.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
cantdrv55 wrote:

For many years, light trucks did not need to meet "regular car" safety regulations in the USA. Is this still the case, or has that sunseted? If they need to meet crash tests those mini-trucks probably have no chance, at least not without bulking up, making them less efficient and more expensive... and hence a failure in the marketplace.

They are still the same size inside, but since the doors and pillars are a foot thick for crash protection the outsides look bigger.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Karami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

I have owned a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road. I bought it new, waited for it almost a year because I wanted it specced out exactly the way I imagined it, figuring it was going to be a keeper. I am a longtime Toyota enthusiast and I even visited the Toyota factory in Texas where it was built.
I owned many vehicles (and brands) before the Taco and still have a 1977 Toyota truck (Hilux) which I dearly love and never sell.
I really wanted to love the Tacoma but after two years of owning it I sold it and spent the money on an old VW van (yes I know lol)
It just didn't do it for me. Yes it's reliable and yes it holds its value but I just didn't like the way it drove. And every time we needed to travel, we drove our other car (a BMW) and every time we needed to do truck things, we opted for the Hilux.
There are a couple of things that stand out during my ownership.

The gearing is just not right. I get that it needs tall gears for fuel economy but the combo with the V6 is off, it shifts u way too quick making it lug. A slight incline will make it shift down again but it is just a nice driving experience. The engine itself is powerful enough but it seems inaccessible. It all felt unbalanced and fuel economy wasn't great to boot.

The truck was nicely specced which was to be expected for the $ (Apple Carplay, surround camera's, keyless entry/start, leather etc..) but it all felt dated and like it was afterthought. The camera resolution was low, the electric seat adjustment had no purpose, lane keep assist was annoying, etc..
The cabin also feels dated and cramped. Just can just feel that this generation has been around way too long and tweaked too much to keep up with the competition.

So in the end I sold it (without much depreciation) and I moved on. I don't miss it. Just for the record, I am not bashing Toyota or a Tacoma and I understand that there are many enthusiasts out there, but I a sadly not one of them.

Here is a picture of both trucks. (the white one is a stayer Laughing)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

Karami wrote:
.......and every time we needed to do truck things, we opted for the Hilux..........

With a stablemate like that it's no wonder the new one didn't meet your expectations, just because the new one is shaped like a truck doesn't mean it's not really a plush car in disguise. Wink
You got spoiled by having an actual truck to compare it to. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

My first Toyota truck was 1986 and it was small and primitive. Five speed with 22R engine didn’t come with rear bumper or radio or AC. Not much payload capacity but it was cheap and reliable. Replaced that with a 99 Taco same slow 5 speed 4 cylinder. Next a 2000 SR5 6 cylinder automatic with all the options. Better I thought. Then I went nuts and bought 5 of the 2006 models. Not all at once but I had another 4 holer 5 speed. An X-Runner which was Toyota’s version of a sport truck with the 4 liter 6 tied to a 6 speed manual factory lowered with some suspension tricks., useless as a real truck. The rest were all SR5 or Sport models some of which were pushing over 200k miles. I still got a low mile 2007 which I may keep forever. Not interested in anything newer than 2015. The last redesign from 2016 going forward is plagued with issues and complaints with model years 19 and 20 being the shittiest of all. People don’t like the downgraded 3.5 mini van engine and the automatic which has a host of shifting problems. Don’t take my word for it look at consumer reports or even Tacoma world forums where they discuss these issues in detail. Call me old fashioned but I ain’t paying between 40 to 60k for the latest models. If you need a truck with payload better look elsewhere they still don’t cut it in the real world.

The good news is some folks have come up with programs to alter the engine and transmission parameters to make drivability concerns less annoying with zero help from Toyota. Toyota is well aware of the issues and has attempted to fix via service bulletins. Some customers happy but more seem to say NOT. So you gotta just dig through the web site to find the tuners over at www.Tacomaworld.com

The bad news new Tacoma’s continue to be in short supply most often selling well above MSRP, even used ones are way high. So you will pay up to be that cool guy driving a Toyota truck. Really do take the time to research the service bulletins and quirky problems common to these vehicles. Some might be deal killers for the faint at heart.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma - real life experience Reply with quote

2002 tacoma, v6, 5spd, 4wd, 400,000 miles on original engine that has had no substantial work (timing belts, alt, plugs only). Got the free frame about 5 years ago, just before the program ended. I pound the shit out of this truck, never garaged, in northern snow/road salt climate. It just wont die! Im aiming for 500,000 miles and beyond.

its a real hoop-di looking rig, but im a northern redneck, so its perfect.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: