Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plug reuse
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

I would believe that the crush washers on spark plugs are a once use thing. Are there replacement washers you can buy? They would have to be captive type so they stay on the plug and not fall off. I have several sets of new plugs I want to save if only I could get replacement washers. Any ideas?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Well, I can understand why the washers on spark plugs are of the crush-type but removing spark-plugs for service/checks is absolutely normal so no issues on re-installing them with the washers already crushed.
On the other hand, tightning torque checks is always absolutely needed.

NGK gives advices on how to do plug installations (on the package box) but anyways, I have here on my desk a very old Bosch plug [W175T1] and I do not think it had a crush-type washer...

I even do not know from where we can source crush washers with automotive grade for use in spark plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Back in the days of leaded gas I used to use a tiny media blaster to clean plugs, then re-use them until the next tune-up or two. I wondered about those crush washers. I just snugged them up again and used a tiny bit more force each time. I used anti-seize on the threads so I was really feeling it well.

I think there was a discussion about them and they have been hard to find and maybe questionable utility.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Typically...if you measure a few before and after the first use....and the 2nd re-use....you usually find that you get some more crush out of them teh second time but thats about it.

I find its already an issue with some cars. My 2012 Golf, with proper torque on new plugs with gaskets, they get just very slightly loose in about 20k miles. I mean like 5 lbs of torque to break loose. Second time around after gapping and retorque when I go to replace them at 35k miles....then they break loose at about 25 ft lbs.

So....looking around...I find that Champion makes steel crush washers for 14mm plugs. The champion number is HT77.

I found those at Summit.....1000 quantity for $123...special order Laughing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpn-n678?seid=s...J0QAvD_BwE

Also check the "green spark plug company"
https://us.gsparkplug.com/ignition/spark-plug-acce...utm_term=a

They also list the champion HT77. They say they have a US branch as well.

10 champion spark plug washers for $1.32....same cost each as Summit!

I have also found copper crush washers for 14mm aircraft sparkplugs.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Ray. The big question is how do the replaceable gaskets stay on the plug? Do they screw on lightly or have some sort of "tang" that retains them? It's a big headache on our engines to fish stuff out, but if they are steel gaskets a magnet could be used...but rather not have to go that route.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Thanks for the info Ray. The big question is how do the replaceable gaskets stay on the plug? Do they screw on lightly or have some sort of "tang" that retains them? It's a big headache on our engines to fish stuff out, but if they are steel gaskets a magnet could be used...but rather not have to go that route.

Bill

The replaceable gaskets are identical to the original gaskets. Or at least the few i have used over the decades have been. Identical size and shape.

The original gaskets...once they have crushed and expanded both inward and outward by a handful of thousandths, you cannot easily get them off the sparkplug without destroying them...which is fine.

Grasp them with the edge of a sharp diagonal cutter or tight needle nose pliers and twist the plug as you pull up and you will wrestle them off....or distort them and cut one edge.

Putting the new ones on...are just like the factory washers. They are only a couple of thousandths too large which is why they do not just fall off. Start the washers at a slight angle to match the threads...and I use a nitrile glove on both hands to give better grip....twist the washer gasket and it will ride down the threads.

If you need to take a brand new unused washer off of a sparkplug...same thing in reverse. But you will see that if the angle is a little bit too extreme...they jam up. Too shallow and the gasket will never catch onto the threads.

It kind of rides "across" the threads...so it leaves a few light marks on the ID of the washer which do not matter.

There are some washers out there...you can see pictures of them on the Green spark plug site....that have three very small tabs spaced 120* apart. These ride down the actual threads of the plug. These are very slightly oversized. They are a factory gasket but not really Bosch. Those will work....just a little different.

The Champion part # are factory style and size 14mm gaskets.

Then.....there is the whole philosophy of changing gaskets Wink

See....I go on binges to collect small wear item parts that I KNOW are going out of production that I will need to keep my car on the road once it ever gets back on the road.
Things like spark plugs, certain bearings, certain light bulbs.

When it became clear about 7 years ago that Bosch was discontinuing the W7DTC....superb plug for D-jet.....I started looking online and shops all over were selling BOXES of them. I bought something like 40 NOS W7DTC for about $2 each.
I will probably buy a handful of BP6ET's as well.

At the same time as I was buying a stash of plugs I was looking around at plug gaskets as well because the conversation came up at that very time. I could not easily find anyone with gaskets in stock.
Once I was able to secure a stash of plugs....so I would theoretically never need to replace gaskets....it kind of got back burnered.

Even with tons of plugs, I do not believe in wasting them.

So, there are only maybe three reasons why I would remove a plug...and not replace it....but use a new gasket instead.

1. If I am tuning fuel and ignition and driving over a period of a few weeks or so and have to keep removing the plugs to check the mixture....yep...thats a low miles plug I would not waste. It would be great to have new gaskets.

2. Since I use W7DYC triples with a hotter than factory coil.....effective mileage on these plugs is easily 50k miles .....with a re-gap at 25k miles. 30k tops for regap.
With 25k miles on them, I would regap and re-washer. At 50k miles they go into the spent box. With the W7DTC's....I just cannot bear to throw them away yet Laughing . With the plugs from my Golf..yep....in the recycle bin at 50k miles. New ones are still in production and cheap.

3. If the plug had to be removed for some kind of service reason and it had very low miles...like 5000 to 10,000 but there was no reason to remove them for quite a few miles until regap time....it would be ideal to have a new gasket.

And...if you cannot get the Champion HT77....you could try the other model that Green spark plug has....because right now they list out ofstock on the Champion HT77....or....

You could try these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122264570324

These are Cessna copper crush washers for 14mm plug for a lycoming engine. I cannot think of a single reason why these would not work. I do not know if they are oversized or the same as ours. Bags of 5 for $10.

And you got me thinking of this crap again. What if the basic stock style crush washers become unobtanium? It looks like the Champions may be special order only.

I just bought a bag of the Cessna copper washers. I will get to see them in a few days and test them!

They should be interesting. They are copper outside and asbestos inside!

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Ray,

Yes, for sure let us know about these copper gaskets. If they screw onto the plug and stay there that would work. If they fall off not so good. Harder to go fishing with a magnet and copper!

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,

Yes, for sure let us know about these copper gaskets. If they screw onto the plug and stay there that would work. If they fall off not so good. Harder to go fishing with a magnet and copper!

Bill

Just got a message from the copper Cessna washer company. They canceled my order because the parts were not where their stock said they should be.

They are looking for them. If they find them they will contact me and reinstate order.

Gotta say they have great communication either way. Ray
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,

Bill

Just got a message from the copper Cessna washer company. They canceled my order because the parts were not where their stock said they should be.

They are looking for them. If they find them they will contact me and reinstate order.

Flying off the shelves, literally.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,

Bill

Flying off the shelves, literally.

Very Happy they are actually back on the shelf and I will reorder this week. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Ray,

Did you ever receive those crush washers? If you did sure would like to know what you think.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug reuse Reply with quote

Here is what I ordered. A great solution when reusing spark plugs. I had to remove plugs several times to read the burn and get the mixture correct. These are 14mm Champion crush washers from Sparkplugs.com at around 50 cents a piece. They screw on and stay in place!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: