Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I don´t know if anyone else can answer that for you, iowegian -- the original service booklet (and the other papers you mention) are gold standard, at least to my thinking. If you check out drpete´s certificate above you´ll get a good idea of what your certificate might say, and see if that´s any different to what you have/know already.

You might want a certificate just to round out your already good documentation, in case you learn something you don´t yet know, or for another reason . . . you can see that plenty of people think they are silly, and lots of others prize them for various reasons. Only you can say what it means to you.

My mother didn´t save of her original documentation from 1966 -- we had opposite philosophies regarding such things -- and I´ve always been sorry not to have that early paperwork, so naturally the certificate was appealing to me, though it didn´t change anything I knew about my beetle´s actual configuration. You may feel quite differently!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Volksfolken wrote:
I don´t know if anyone else can answer that for you, iowegian -- the original service booklet (and the other papers you mention) are gold standard, at least to my thinking. If you check out drpete´s certificate above you´ll get a good idea of what your certificate might say, and see if that´s any different to what you have/know already.

You might want a certificate just to round out your already good documentation, in case you learn something you don´t yet know, or for another reason . . . you can see that plenty of people think they are silly, and lots of others prize them for various reasons. Only you can say what it means to you.

My mother didn´t save of her original documentation from 1966 -- we had opposite philosophies regarding such things -- and I´ve always been sorry not to have that early paperwork, so naturally the certificate was appealing to me, though it didn´t change anything I knew about my beetle´s actual configuration. You may feel quite differently!

Thanks for your input. We have owned the car for 18 years and I've looked at the Service Booklet many, many times---but just now, looking at the photos I posted, I saw some things I never noticed before. The Warranty Voucher is stamped "EXPORT TOURISTENWAGEN" so that verifies that it was built to U.S. specs.
Also, the "Delivery Inspection" predates the Warranty Voucher ("this warranty commences at the date the VW automobile is delivered to the original purchaser") by 6 days. So "Delivery Inspection" at 6 miles must have been the actual "build" date Perhaps I will order the certificate just to see what they have to say about it.
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I always think you can´t go wrong with *more* information, iowegian, so I can only encourage you!
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

jabbiate wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good to know. I wonder if maybe the Tourist Delivery for West Coast had to go through Panama canal and then got this odd Country of Destination. If anyone else has figured this out, I would love to hear about. Thanks Everett

Concerning your doubts regarding Panama as Country of Destination, I am no Authority on this but I see some logic on your thinking:

Volkswagen at that time had many US distributors so unloading cargo on the East coast (that arrives much faster to the US from Germany) and having all the hassle and cost to move it by road/rail through the country to reach the West doesn't sound that great practice. Following on this, maybe even some of the VW distributors had Florida and Central America markets also, then, I guess the following could make a case; let's consider that VW in Germany finds a good reason to dispatch a batch of vehicles on a shipping vessel into Panama (Panama Channel port) that will unload a partial cargo there and then either moves up (Vera Cruz port) or down, to any other location to the South?
The vehicles unloaded in Panama Channel port will sit in a platform for a few days until a new vessel arrives to load them to their destination.
With this strategy VW could dispatch vehicles to the West Coast through vessels that didn't have the Panama Channel crossing in their itineray or vessels that only had partial or small availability of cargo slots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I have purchased several Birth Certificates over the years with zero issues when ordering. When the 3rd party took over for the Museum a few years ago, things seemed to be going much smoother, and the Certificates were mailed out faster.

My current experience has not gone as smooth. The website won't allow me to progress past the "shipping" page. I've been in contact with the museum, provided my credit card information for purchase when they asked for it to place my order...and it's been 2 weeks with ZERO contact despite me sending them a few polite emails to ask if they need any additional information from me.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this recently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62RagTopBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I received the VW birth certificate back on my 62 ragtop and it’s listed as a “steel sliding sunroof” is this correct?
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

62RagTopBug wrote:
I received the VW birth certificate back on my 62 ragtop and it’s listed as a “steel sliding sunroof” is this correct?

WTF???
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

The new guy is in charge. Shoot me now.
62RagTopBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
62RagTopBug wrote:

WTF???

Their sending a new one, lol
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I've all but given up on receiving my birth certificates. Weeks and weeks of emails, given my credit card information for purchasing TWO birth certs. And nothing... I haven't seen a charge to my card. So that's good!
It's really too bad, because I've used their service several times with absolutely zero issues.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I've all but given up on receiving my birth certificates. Weeks and weeks of emails, given my credit card information for purchasing TWO birth certs. And nothing... I haven't seen a charge to my card. So that's good!
It's really too bad, because I've used their service several times with absolutely zero issues.

The AutoMuseum has nothing to do with birth certificates since years!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Correct…they have a 3rd party handling the certificates. When they took over a long time ago, they were doing a great job. I can’t say that they are anymore. I’ve been buying Birth certificates since the VW Museum was doing it
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I only mentioned it because you wrote

"I've been in contact with the museum, provided my credit card information for purchase"

The museum has nothing to do with it, "VW Classic Parts" stands for itself. They provide original spare parts you also sometimes buy through BBT or WW or...
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Birth Certificate arrived today. Shouldnt M Code stuff have appeared in the info? It was def a France delivered deluxe samba bus. Made 8/31/65 and delivered 9/9/65. L555 Tizian Red with L472 Beige Grey up top. 70 Mesh Platinum interior. More pics once it gets metal work done and gets shipped. Certificate showed up in less than a month!! Ordered 2/7/23 and arrived today 3/3/23!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

obus wrote:

Birth Certificate arrived today. Shouldnt M Code stuff have appeared in the info? It was def a France delivered deluxe samba bus. Made 8/31/65 and delivered 9/9/65. L555 Tizian Red with L472 Beige Grey up top. 70 Mesh Platinum interior. More pics once it gets metal work done and gets shipped. Certificate showed up in less than a month!! Ordered 2/7/23 and arrived today 3/3/23!!

Yes, was that part blank or ?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

These were the only pages
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

For some reason that I just don't understand, VW seems to not know what MANY of the M codes are. Even in a couple of my later 70's vehicles there are some that can't be identified. Usually though, they will at least be listed on the page
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

obus - I would ask them why no M-codes were listed.

I'm not familir with the The "special configuration Please see attached pages" but it makes me think something is missing if the only thing attached was the normal specs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

i emailed them about that now and see what i get back
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

There should be another page included that looks similar to the birth certificate that shows only the M codes. Odd that they didn’t include that page.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 61

Jump to: