Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low down Hillbilly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

You'll notice in the pics that there is a seemingly random hole/patch in the rear wall of the interior. I wonder if this was the reason. My neighbour has one of these HillBilly bodies and never mentioned that his has a tendency to overheat.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

After completing some other projects I've re-arranged my workshop so I can keep all the buggy work confined to one area. I need to finalize the fit and attachment of the body before I can fab/mount the seats, steering wheel, gauge cluster, air switches, etc. I bought a new gas tank, cap and other parts on Black Friday sale so I'll be able to build the front framework soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

For the first time in the nearly 20 years I've owned this body, its finally solidly mounted to the frame! It bolts through some marine grade plywood spacers into an angle iron perimeter frame, which in turn bolts through nuts welded to the heavy gauge floor pans. The tabs are drilled out to 1/2" to allow for some lateral adjustment. The rear inner fender clearances are a bit tight when laid out which will require increasing the body lift to 1.75", rather than switching out to narrower tires or differently offset wheels. The tabs will eventually be hidden behind carpeted plywood covers.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Working on the seats at the moment while waiting for the steering wheel + adapter to arrive. I have both seats fabricated now. Today's project was to cut the seat belt slots and add the lower front section which continues the speed hole theme. The seats still need some cosmetic finishing but are otherwise done. The seat sliders/bases are done, risers and mounting are next.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Base for one seat finished and welded to the seat, waiting for cosmetic finishing. The seat track is attached, ready to bolt in the passenger side. Drives side is next up, then the steering support can be fabricated.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

And then there were two... I'll be drilling mounting holes for the seats/belts shortly. Once bolted down, I'll start sourcing materials for the upholstery. I've got wind lacing coming to line the seat edges and a 1" dimple die to add some more holes to the project.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

First part of the steering wheel/column support fabricated today, it'll be much easier to move around the workshop now. The missing dash panel will be notched for the '73 column, then glassed back in once the weather gets warmer. Still waiting on my steering wheel adapter to arrive from the US.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Nice to know the windshield wiper assembly and the dash panel fit with the new column support in place. There will be no gauges above the steering column, they will be in the centre of the dash and down the vertical console which will soon be entering the CAD mock-up phase.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Finished the cardboard mock up, then transferred the measurements to 16ga sheet metal and cut out the face of the console. Plans are to fill in the buggy's dash, mount the gauges to the console behind and cut out new openings for speedo + air-ride gauge/controls on the upper section. The middle will have two pairs of gauges and the lower section/sides will have more speed holes. The console will be spaced slightly away from the fiberglass dash and will be welded to the steering support hoop and main tunnel.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

OCD, I admire your craftsmanship. Those seats are beautiful. Cool

Take this with a grain of salt as it's your build... but have you sat in your buggy yet? It doesn't look like there's much leg room between the steering column support and the center console. I'm a 3X kinda guy & it makes a difference to me.

Keep up the good work! Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Paul:

I'm a small framed European guy, lots of room for me. I can see the challenge a 3x person would have, but this is tailor made to fit me. The console is narrower than the tunnel and will be 3" deep so there is more room for your feet than it looks. The pedals on a VW are always crowded. The seats are 18" wide.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Small update: The adapter for my steering wheel came in and it looks great! I think it adds to the vintage racer feel. When I modified the column to take a u-joint, I shortened it overall to tuck the wheel closer to the dash like on old European sports cars. Looking forward to finishing the console and seeing the gauges in the middle.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

This is an early test fit, but once the console is finished I'll have central control of the air system instead of four Schrader valves.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Starting to work on the pads for the seat upholstery. Using the centre part of the jig from fabbing the seats as a template, I cut the pad bases out of plywood.

Here are the seat upholstery bases with the corners rounded, sanded, bolted in, ready for foam and molded leather covers.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Went to the local foam store who saved me a lot of trouble but cutting out my pieces on their foam saw. Just needed a little cleaning up/rounding off with the die grinder.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Decided to punch a few more holes in the seats before considering the fabrication done. Still need to polish, then matte clear the seats and wrap the foam bases.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Upholstery update: completed the 2 piece bucks which help to mold and shape the leather seat coverings.

Glove leather is the grade I'm using, it's an off cut from the bargain bin at the local leather store. The material was soaked in water for about 20 minutes, wrung out, then molded to shape by hand. The outer sections of the bucks were then pressed down while trying to pull out wrinkles, clamped and left to dry for 24 hours.

These are the molded leather pieces over their shaped foam. After another coat of paint on the seat bases, they'll soon be ready to mount. If there is enough leather pieces left over, I'll likely try to wrap the trim around the seats too.

syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

looking great! so much work but so much fun. I'm stuck waiting on snow to melt so I can even get to some of my projects. at this rate and with the amount of snow it will be June!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

The seats are done for now. I oiled the pieces with a good coat of saddle soap, the colour should lighten a bit once it absorbs.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Today I trimmed the edge lacing and seat belt holes with leather. A little more surface work, a shot of clear and done. Working on the battery hold down next.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: