Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrade to Brighter Headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Great thread!

I installed $40 Beamtech H4 LED lights in my 2006 Prius and ran into the expected issues with the bulb holding bail and rear lamp cover. I ended up not reinstalling the lamp cover and still trying to decide how to modify that. I've adjusted the beams down a little and they do an impressive job lighting the road with acceptable light pattern defects.

I'm tempted to try a set of these in my 02 EV to see how they work. If that doesn't work, it seems like the $299 e-code BusDepot lights are a great upgrade with a little more work.

Had anyone gone this route recently with LED H4 bulbs?

Is the reflector pattern better on the BusDepot parts or is it just a lens difference?

Thanks! Alan
Motodreaming
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Thanks Busdepot for responding on this site!! I've ordered a relay and headlights- not being able to see well is one of the most frustrating parts about driving my van- and it's high time to fix it so I can see at night this rainy Oregon winter!
EurovanPete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Digging up an older thread but I recently added the relay kit to my 03 from bus depot , my van also has daytime running lights as well. I’ve noticed a strange scenario after installingit when I pull out on my light switch for turning on the fog lamps the high beams also turn on and the high beam light in the cluster comes on dimly sometimes flickers. When I turn the high beam switch on the fog lights turn off as they should and the high beam light becomes brighter. Has anyone ever reported this issue or did i do something wrong!?

Busdepot wrote:
The wiring is really simple. There are + and - ring terminals that go to your battery. There are also two sockets that connect directly to your actual headlight bulbs in place of the factory ones. There is a 5th plug that connects inside the passenger side headlamp to the factory socket that used to connect to the bulb before you unplugged it. That's it for wiring, it's literally plug-and-play.

You will have to notch the dust cap behind your headlight to allow the wire to pass through it. It's a tiny notch and I used a pair of wire cutters. It took me 5 or 10 minutes with a pair of wire cutters. A dremmel tool would be faster/easier but I weighed that time savings against the time it would take to remember where I put my dremmel tool. Smile The instructions show you pics of where the notch goes.

Most of the harness resides on the passenger side, except for the single wire that stretches across to the driver side to plug into that headlight bub. That wire makes a straight shot across the front of the engine bay, above the grill and just below the hood latch. You'll want to use a few wire ties or something similar (not included) to secure the wire and relays.

That's about it.
ebowk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I experienced the same exact scenario after installing the relay kit from Bus Depot to my 02 Weekender last fall. I installed according to the instructions (there isn't really any other way to do it) and have since checked the connections, relays, etc and am still at a loss...
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Last year I purchased the Hella relay kit off ebay and installed the 80/100 watt extreme white bulbs and it made a noticable difference to my 2001 EVC.

Hella 329.317-001 H4 Headlamp Headlight Relay with Wiring Harness: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273864753080

All beams and fog lights operate normally.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

^^ Nice. So did the eBay vendor include instructions? Did everything make sense to you?

(Electrically challanged individual here....)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wyotdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

FWIW-I installed the Bus Depot relay harness with zero issues. I thought the harness and connections were first rate and I'd highly recommend it. I have, however, removed the DRL relay since I've owned the van. Are you running any LED bulbs (headlight or driving lights) that might mess with resistance parameters? Just a random thought.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
^^ Nice. So did the eBay vendor include instructions? Did everything make sense to you?

(Electrically challanged individual here....)

The relay kit didn't come with any instructions but the connections should be identical to the bus depot kit. Basically: Positive, negative, signal connection to one of the original light bulb sockets and ground. The kit I received is just long enough to route all the wires along the firewall.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Give me old school sealed beams anyday....It's sad that both my 73 Thing and 76 Westy have such a simple single light bulb 7 to 10 bucks each and u get a new reflecter and glass lens.. progress is not all it's said to be..My kids say I'm stuck in the seventies and it's only because really are we really progressing or have they just fooled us and we all drank the Kool aid...Bill VT & PR
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I installed these HID lights last summer. They are a HUGE improvement on my 2003 Eurovan.

[/url]https://ledlightstreet.com/products/9003-hid-conversion-kit-35w-slim-ballast?_pos=1&_sid=0e709bf1d&_ss=r[url][/url]
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
I installed these HID lights last summer. They are a HUGE improvement on my 2003 Eurovan.

[/url]https://ledlightstreet.com/products/9003-hid-conversion-kit-35w-slim-ballast?_pos=1&_sid=0e709bf1d&_ss=r[url][/url]

Did you also change to the Euro housing or just the stock NA ones?

The 6k white 55w?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

All I had to install was the bulbs after wiring up the HID modules. The take the place of the existing bulbs. Easy install.
KRJoye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Just ordered a headlamp `direct wiring kit' from BusDepot, great Eurovan/Rialta supplier. Many thanks.
EurovanPete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

ebowk wrote:
I experienced the same exact scenario after installing the relay kit from Bus Depot to my 02 Weekender last fall. I installed according to the instructions (there isn't really any other way to do it) and have since checked the connections, relays, etc and am still at a loss...

I ended up removing it all, Not worth it to me. I’ve seen some other harness upgrades from across the pond and they seem a little better without having to cut up the plastic cover. Maybe I’ll try that some day . But they work and I’ll
Just keep them stock as I didn’t seem like o see a difference
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I feel the same as jjvincent said earlier in this thread. I have a long nose van so I can't comment on the short nose style of headlight. I've progressed through all the ideas here, first trying different bulbs, then added in relays, then upgraded headlights. The standard headlight lens really disperses the light instead of focusing it correctly. When adding brighter bulbs you make it brighter for yourself but you also add a lot of light pollution to oncoming traffic. The best improvement you can make is to fix the lens. This change can be dramatic enough to make standard bulbs seem bright enough. But I also added LED bulbs and adjusted my headlights properly so that I don't blind oncoming traffic. I can still see the sharp cut off of my headlights under bright overhead streetlights and on dark country roads it's really impressive.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
But I also added LED bulbs and adjusted my headlights properly so that I don't blind oncoming traffic. I can still see the sharp cut off of my headlights under bright overhead streetlights and on dark country roads it's really impressive.

I'm still playing with my headlight upgrades from stock. E-codes are high on my "to-do" list. Regarding your LED bulbs, does it interfere with your highbeams/foglights?

I tried some H4 LED replacements in the stock housing with the result that turning on the foglights automatically triggers the highbeams. The vendor gave me some free ballasts to solve the issue but they were rather large and I did not want to hack up the light housing or clutter up the engine bay with them. If your LEDs don't have this problem, please share your make/model.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I installed the busdepot kit in my 2001 weekender. Seemed very straightforward to me and I've had zero issues with it thus far. Everything works as it should.

I also replaced my US-spec lenses with European ones I purchased from an eBay vendor in Latvia. The original glass lenses were clear but I noticed the chrome bits on the inside the housings were starting to disintegrate so that's probably making for the best/bright light.

I added some LED's that had good ratings on amazon for brightness, color, and anti-flicker. They are Auxito brand and don't seem to be available any longer. Similar in appearance to these, but had 6000K (less blue) vs 6500K https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-H4-Brighter-9003-Replacement/dp/B0CLG3WZ8S

Subjectively, the new housings, LEDs, and harnesses seem to produce a much brighter light. I've viewed the beam cut-off projected onto my garage for new vs old and the new seem even more crisp. I don't see any dispersion nor flicker but have admittedly only driven for a little over a month before retiring Vanna to the garage for Winter repairs and upgrades.

My only complaint is with the noise of the fans inside the LED bulbs. When the engine is turned-off and the ignition and headlights are on, I can hear a faint hum from the front-end and this is the tiny fans running inside the bulbs. Barely audible but I can hear it. The harness and bulbs weren't expensive and seem like the best ROI. The new housings are also helpful but a bigger investment.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Regarding your LED bulbs, does it interfere with your highbeams/foglights?

I'm currently away from my van and won't be back for over a week yet. I'll investigate when I get back. I replaced my headlight switch with an import version. I actually like DRLs and wanted the added ability to turn off my headlights while keeping side lights on. So, this might affect my results. The whole weirdness between the high beams and fog lights doesn't make sense and I'm sure is frustrating.

VanGeek wrote:
My only complaint is with the noise of the fans inside the LED bulbs.

I was able to find bulbs without the fan. Of course, with Amazon vendors here today gone tomorrow, I can no longer find it. I think not having a fan limits the longevity since I'm on my second set. But I have different headlight assemblies and I didn't feel I had enough space to fit the bulbs with fans.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I had a chance to investigate the headlights with LED bulbs. Remember, I replaced my headlight switch but I think it works basically the same way. The main difference it that I have a side light only position. Another modification I made was to add relays to the headlight circuit. This had nothing to do with the LED bulbs, it was a leftover from my trials with high wattage halogen bulbs.

So, when I turn the switch to headlight mode and the low beams are on, I can pull the headlight switch to turn on the fog lights and all works well. The high beams are not on. When I next turn on the high beams using the stalk switch the fog lights turn off and high beams are on. This is as expected. I turn off high beams, back to low, and the fog lights turn back on. Also as expected.

I haven't looked at the wiring diagram but since the high beams are connected to the fog light circuit I wonder if the issue you are seeing is due to this 'feature'. Perhaps a relay on the high beam circuit that turns off the fog lights, or something similar. I noticed my LED bulbs are rated to pull 60W. That might be enough current draw to make things play nice. Kind of like adding a resistor to the LED bulbs, which by the way I would hate to do. I would rather use bulbs that use more current and therefore make more lumens. Hope this is helpful.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Thanks for the update bigfoot! I'm reasonably certain that my abnormal highbeam behavior is due to the lower resistance of my LEDs.

I'll investigate and perhaps swap for higher resistance LED replacement H4 bulbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: