Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

Hi all,

During an oil change I noticed that the passenger CV boot was torn, and most of the auto-knowledgable folks I talked to recommended replacing the axle shaft/CV joint/boot while I was in there instead of replacing only the boot.

From what I've read on here (and other sites) it "should" be a pretty straight-forward part swap, and take about an hour? I'm trying to budget what little good weather we have left this year, barring any unforeseen catastrophe, does that sounds reasonable?

Any steps or items to be aware/take note of?

Cheers
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:
Hi all,

During an oil change I noticed that the passenger CV boot was torn, and most of the auto-knowledgable folks I talked to recommended replacing the axle shaft/CV joint/boot while I was in there instead of replacing only the boot.

Here is a posting covering my experience in replacing passenger side transaxle on my 1995 EVC. The one unexpected issue I ran into was having to remove the ABS tone ring. (Thought I had ordered one for a non-ABS set up.)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757480

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoo2VdSIFVI

Outer CV joint and boot -- avoids dealing with the inner joint.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:
Hi all,

From what I've read on here (and other sites) it "should" be a pretty straight-forward part swap, and take about an hour? I'm trying to budget what little good weather we have left this year, barring any unforeseen catastrophe, does that sounds reasonable?

Any steps or items to be aware/take note of?

Cheers

I have a conditional disagreement here. Some of the aftermarket axles, particularly the "rebuilt" ones are of questionable quality. If the boot is only recently torn, and the joint still has grease, and isn't full of road debris, replacing the boot makes a lot of sense. If it's full of road grime, or is making weird noises, then absolutely replace it.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

@Saturn - I saw your post earlier, but you never know who's still lurking about or not Wink Thanks for posting that.

The initial tear I found on the inner CV boot, but I've since found one on the outer boot as well. I think I'm going to go the same route you did and replace the entire transaxle/joints/boots at once. How was easy/difficult to mount it to the transmission?

Also, is the "passenger side" considered the right or left side Rolling Eyes

Saturn wrote:
KillerGriller wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a posting covering my experience in replacing passenger side transaxle on my 1995 EVC. The one unexpected issue I ran into was having to remove the ABS tone ring. (Thought I had ordered one for a non-ABS set up.)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757480
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

1994Karuso wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoo2VdSIFVI

Outer CV joint and boot -- avoids dealing with the inner joint.

Thanks, I subscribed to his channel.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

I have a conditional disagreement here. Some of the aftermarket axles, particularly the "rebuilt" ones are of questionable quality. If the boot is only recently torn, and the joint still has grease, and isn't full of road debris, replacing the boot makes a lot of sense. If it's full of road grime, or is making weird noises, then absolutely replace it.

I don't think the tear in the inner boot is recent, but the one in the outer boot is newer. The inner boot looked to have debris in it, no weird noises yet though
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:
I think I'm going to go the same route you did and replace the entire transaxle/joints/boots at once. How was easy/difficult to mount it to the transmission?

Also, is the "passenger side" considered the right or left side Rolling Eyes

Make sure you have the correct triple square socket (M10) for removing the six bolts. This is what I ordered from Amazon for this operation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3D4ZGN/

Access to the bolts not a problem, thought you might need to clean out the bolt heads if they are extremely dirty/greasy. I initially loosened two at a time then rotated the assembly to get to the next pair. This was from the front side allowing for the most perpendicular purchase into the bolt head, and not at an angle. A 3/8" extension was used and removed each of them by a ratchet not with something like an impact gun. Reassembly is pretty straight-forward, the mounting bolts were first installed by hand until finger tight and then torqued down. Again this was working on a couple at a time then rotating the axle to get to the next ones.

Passenger side = right side Well, unless I was working on a RHD vehicle.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

Mike Rule #1 about CV replacement is there is no such thing as too much grease in the joint. Mike Rule #2 is pre-assembled axles don't ship with enough grease. If you buy pre-assembled axles, get extra grease and pack them more. It should be a plain moly-type CV axle grease in the assembly and you can add same. At least, that's my limited experience.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Mike Rule #1 about CV replacement is there is no such thing as too much grease in the joint. Mike Rule #2 is pre-assembled axles don't ship with enough grease. If you buy pre-assembled axles, get extra grease and pack them more. It should be a plain moly-type CV axle grease in the assembly and you can add same. At least, that's my limited experience.

Yeah, there is such a thing as too much grease. If you put too much, it puts outward pressure on the boot, and if you're lucky, it'll spew out at the clamped end, which is a mess. If you're not, it'll lead to the rupture of the boot. You want the inner volume of the joint packed solid, and a bit more in the boot. The service manual will tell you how much to use if you're starting from empty.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

I think what's most important is that the part you buy hasn't been mislabeled and/or put in the wrong box...

Good thing I checked this in depth before pulling the van apart. For those of you who aren't familiar with these, the transmission end should have a flange with bolt holes that you bolt directly to the transmission instead of the cylinder bit on the right (with the sticker on it).

Supposed to be getting a proper replacement this afternoon, but we'll see what happpens
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan CV - Axle Shaft w/ CV Joint and Boot Replacement Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Yeah, there is such a thing as too much grease. If you put too much, it puts outward pressure on the boot, and if you're lucky, it'll spew out at the clamped end, which is a mess. If you're not, it'll lead to the rupture of the boot. You want the inner volume of the joint packed solid, and a bit more in the boot. The service manual will tell you how much to use if you're starting from empty.

Yes thanks for clarification that I was talking about "in the joint." That's what I was referring to, the inner volume, the specificity is appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: