Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bearings for steering box rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

So I decided to take on the task of rebuilding the steering box for my 54 project, everything came out without too much hassle but the second bearing at the end of the worm fell apart when it was pressed out! Knew it was all happening too far too easily!

My question is, has anyone had any luck sourcing replacement bearings for the steering box? I've spent the last few hours searching on the net for an answer withou much luck.

Now I have a second oval steering box that I can salvage the bearing from, but I was planning to keep that one as a spare. Any help would be appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I did not find any bearings for my 54 box. I ended up buying a replacement box as the originals were notorious for leaking and often they were operated dry, wearing out the bearings inside. I've heard stories of those bearings going for a lot of money since they're so hard to come by.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

The rubber seals are off the shelf seals for both split and oval boxes so the bearing might be off the shelf parts too.

If the bearings are off the shelf bearings then they might be inexpensive if purchased from a bearing supply house. Even if they are off the shelf bearings, you will pay a premium for NOS VW just because they are VW sourced parts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I found this post in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/viewtopic.php?p=7564409&highlight=#7564409

Snort wrote:
Snort wrote:
Can I take this to mean that the lower bearing rests on a shoulder inside the bore of the body, and can only be removed by pushing it toward the inside?

Yes, this is correct.

Here is the bearing. It is FAG 47.05.01. The inner race is machined onto the worm gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried searching that 'FAG47.05.01' part number without any luck. Can anyone shed some light onto this?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

while the seals are off the shelf, the bearings are not.. At least when I tried to find some I couldn't.
They come up every once in awhile for sale. How bad are the bearings now?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I tried to find the same bearings for my 44. searched but no luck. you can replace the loose balls by measuring the diameter and buying loose bicycle crank ball bearings if the shaft (inner race) and outer race are not too badly galled. the solid rubber output seal was also unavailable so I found a close replacement in a standard wiper seal but had to bore the box body out to fit. If anybody can supply bearings I would like to purchase a set
David
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I took mine apart recently. Put new seals in and clened the races. Mine also came apart and I noticed some pits on the balls. I bought 100 bearings for $5.00 and popped them in.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

You could probably turn your box for a square bearing.
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I think my outer race could be salvageable, but my inner race is wrecked.

I have been on the phone with FAG Bearings to try and make sense of that part number, no luck with that exact one, but another lead has me onto another bearing numbered FAG200078C that could work.

They no longer produce the bearing though so I'll need to find a stockist with them still in stock, and then at least get a photo of it to see if I'm even on the right track!

Gotta love these early cars Rolling Eyes
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

OK it looks like I'm looking for the right thing, didn't even realise this page was only a few clicks away!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bearingref_t1_kg_t3.php

So that 200078 part number is correct, now its just a matter of hunting that down...
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I don't know if it's even possible. Can you send it to bearing company to match it up with one they still have available?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

As a starting point for research, they are single row angular contact ball bearings with no cage and the inner race is integral to the worm shaft. These are different from your average ball bearing which is referred to as a radial bearing.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I've managed to track down a couple FAG200078 bearings in the UK but none with the 'D' suffix. None of the suppliers can give me much more information about the bearing they have beside they fact that it's in stock which is annoying, I might just have to buy one and roll the dice.

I also found this NSN Document that confirms all the numbers match and this particular bearing's use for the 'steering shaft'. Can anyone shed any light on the other serial numbers on this page?

https://www.nsncenter.co.uk/NSN/3110-12-123-8422
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Just a quick update, I have sourced the bearings — and they didnt cost me a limb!

Both the FAG and SKF part number are for the same bearing and they're out there, but I had to get in touch with a number of places locally and internationally before I found them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

That's good news. Perhaps you could share the source of your new bearings for anyone else that might want them.
LOTYP3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Ended up getting it via Eastern Bearings locally, they sourced it from a UK company that I found but they were able to get a better price via trade rates than me going directly + shipping.

As far as I'm aware I got the last ones from those guys. They have a single SKF bearing in stock as well now too if someone is just looking for a single one.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Bump in hopes that someone has found a source for these bearings.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Just found a source, expensive but if you need them you need them.

https://www.vwnos.com/111-415-227
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearings for steering box rebuild Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
Just found a source, expensive but if you need them you need them.

https://www.vwnos.com/111-415-227

I'm currently manufacturing the brass worm gear as well for these. The bearings and the brass gear are the main wearable parts.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: