Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson Longevity and how to make it last
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Judson Longevity and how to make it last Reply with quote

Just wanted to reach out to everyone that has asked the question (how good are the Judson Superchargers?).
I have had a true problem with the engine in my 62 Beetle these past few days and had to completely tear it down because of blowing oil from the oil filler vent pipe. While I had the engine disassembled,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought it would be a great time to check every part of the engine including the Judson. I still haven't found the reason for the blow by that caused the tear down I had to post a picture of the rotor and vanes of the supercharger.
The rotor is a part that had to be purchased several years ago during a rebuild. I purchased the hard anodized coated rotor from Ricardo in Argentina. The parts to rebuild the Judson were not cheap but I can truly say they are worth the extra price. The rotor has been used now for over 6 years and thousands of miles and the rotor still looks new. My oiler was set at one drop of oil every 6-8 seconds at idle which is probably a little on the heavy side. Marvel oil is cheaper than rotors.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Longevity and how to make it last Reply with quote

Well you have the judson apart check the port inside the judson where air would flow to the manifold that looks like 👉 ◇◇◇ 👈 if there cracked judsons no good ...that's why I'm not a fan of those judsons I bought 2 complete sets of judson from some ahole guy years ago paid good money 2 do to the fact I was like OK these you hardly see around well I tore them down to find cracks in them ... I emailed Ricardo from Argentina showed him pictures and asked if there were fine and he said no there junk I even thought and asked what if I cut and ◇◇◇ port so it would flow the air better he recommended not to since the vanes would scrap and Bing and cause the vanes to ether break or wear ..but I think it wouldn't I think it would allow better flow to the manifold ....but he's a way better experts so I didn't really wanna push the button and just left it as that ....yeah so after that I couldn't find the seller that sold me those junk judsons they were nice though looked restored, paint was all nice on those things. screws where all nice pulleys all polished up carbs where fully restored ...so he took my $$$ and ran even changed his # right away ....but than again I was a kid he said he don't know crapp which I didn't lol and yes my fault on not having a pro check the inside of them for me ....so ever since than I wasn't a fan of those judsons what 1 moron would do to someone to not like those judsons lol I guess when I see them its just a reminder " like bang remember you got robbed when you bought 2 complete sets from that guy that where junk " lol ...sorry for the rant ..but if every thing looks good maybe it's something else that's causing your problem..I don't think it's the judson if oil coming out the vent on the oil filler try adding a breather box kit and see if that would help sounds like your engine needs more venting...a judson does add stress to the engine and is 🥵 maybe need more venting like I said but check everything else first and go from their ....
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Longevity and how to make it last Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I checked the housing for cracks, and all is good. The seller that sold me this kit also said it was super low mile and in perfect shape. Mine had a rotor that was junk as well as vanes that were shot. A thousand dollars later I finally had a working Judson. The problem with the engine blowing oil has yet to be figured out. I have been building VW engines since around 1980 and have never had this issue.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Longevity and how to make it last Reply with quote

Why can't you sleeve them with a stainless sleeve?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Airleg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Longevity and how to make it last Reply with quote

I ran out of oil years ago in my Judson 56 Beetle. I was
rushing for work and grabbed my Beetle when the Ford wouldn't start ...typical..noticed oiler was low and forgot to fill up going home from work..ouch. Cracked Judson housing, I had it thermal plasma sprayed and honed out....no issues and have done about 6000 miles with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: