Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lazy Mary; Part Tre
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

I moved up to Fruitport so it took some time to get my workshop setup again. Hopefully ill run into you one of these days.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

The case is finally at the machine shop. Good thing is that their first impression of it was it looked to be in good shape. I guess they don't do the work in-house which is actually kinda too bad because I'd like to talk to the actual machinist who does the work. However, they told me the guy is a local racer and nearing retirement and does it out of his home. Most people in the area run his engines apparently. I'm kinda curious if he was one of the people I called before deciding to go to this place? Anyway, it sounds like it's in good hands. They will be align-boring and doing a hoover mod. Then it's back home so I can order bearings and start doing my own machining to the case which I'm really excited to get into.

Trying to decide whether I will use the original flywheel I had on this engine that appears to be a forged one piece unit or possibly the dual weight flywheel from CB. I want to run a heavy flywheel. I just have to weigh my old one. If the old one is 13lbs or more then I'll have to get it resurfaced.

I'm going with the serpentine system with sand seal from CB as well. It's one of those things that's kind of a luxury for someone like me, but I've always thought they looked cool and I like the reliability boost it will give my engine as well as a small efficiency improvement. Despite being told to save my money I'm also considering going with straight cut cam gears.

A lot of parts I'm holding off on purchasing until my case gets bored so I can order it all at the same time. I'm just hoping I'm not waiting too long for everything in the end. Some other parts I need to make up my mind on are a good cam and lifters to use and whether I want to invest in new heads.

If I get a cam it's gonna be a "what's available" type of scenario and I'm not crazy about making decisions based on availability. However, I really don't know what I want anyway. I've been told Web-cam and ENgle are good bet right now. I'd like CB but they don't have cores to build cams from.

If I get heads they'll be Tims stage 1's. From what I read they are the best out of the 'box' and at this point I don't want to buy heads that need more work before they're good.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

My buddy put one of the CB serpentine systems on his '67 street Bug. After a while it started eating and pitching belts. We found the idler bracket had bent where it has an arm that goes to the stud at the far side of the generator stand. So he took it off for a while and went back to stock. But he has since bought a new bracket and belt, so we'll see how it goes. We could NOT figure out what caused it to bend. The new bracket looks a little different though. Maybe they had trouble with that issue.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that as that bracket was the thing that had me thinking about it for awhile. It's kinda odd looking. You definitely want a solid idler otherwise what's the point?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

Today my case comes home from the machinist. He didn't have anything bad to say about the case. He took it to the next size up on the mains and corrected the thrust surface. They talked me out of the Hoover mod I asked him to look into.
I ordered the rest of my goodies from CB including a serp system and new tins. I am ordering a set of stage 1 plus heads from Tims.
Once I get my new pulley from CB I can take my assembly in to have it balanced. In the meantime I can work on getting the bearings set up and clearancing the case for the stroke.
Before all that I really need to set up my workspace. I just completed my electric brewery project and things are a mess.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy Mary; Part Tre Reply with quote

So I have my case back and things don't appear right. The machinist warned me about popular bearings that " tend not to fit on the O.D." so he sold me a set of Mahle 1.50 over EXT mains he had on his shelf. When I got it home first thing I did was try to pop the Main in on the transmission end (front?, not sure of the numbering off the top of my head) and the thrust measurement of the bearing is too small. I still need to measure the difference but it appears he did not test his bearing in my case before selling them to me. The other's do not sit in their journals. I haven't tried pushing them in because their tight enough to feel like if I forced them into the journal I would probably do damage getting them out.
This is annoying on two levels. I'm not in a hurry by any means but now I have to travel 45 miles to bring it back and the machinist works from home so I won't even get an immediate answer to what's going on.

I want to get some measurements on everything before I take it back just so I have an idea of what I think is wrong to compare to what I'm told. I just bought a Fowler bore gage and a 2-3" micrometer to get my measurements with. I'm not real familiar with using a bore gage so that will take some fingering out and I'll need to bolt the case halves together all which I haven't had a chance to do since the wife got into a head-on collision Sunday and this isn't as important right now.

Another thing about the machine work is my thrust surfaces have a pin on "spacer" attached to the flywheel side. I'm not sure what that is all about as I haven't seen anyone mention this in any of the builds I've read/watched. It's made up of two steel halves of a ring and one half has two holes at the ends to accept two approx.~1/16" roll pins stuck in the thrust surface facing the flywheel. The machinist did not remove these yet they are clear to see and it is terribly obvious by the thrust clearance of the bearings he gave me that these "spacers" were not a part of his calculations for that journals width. How could they be since they had me take them with me after I dropped it off? I kinda knew that would end up being a problem. I just figured this guy has done this a magnitude greater many times than I have and will know what to do. I wish I knew his name lol. If your him and you recognize this situation feel free to speak up. I'm not upset, just learning. Maybe I'm wrong and not seeing something?
I guess I'll find this all out when I take it back but in the meantime, if anyone's got any suggestions or tips let em fly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: