Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese Diesel heater..
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slorider02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Wondering where folks have placed the diesel tank for these. I really can't think find a place to secure it and be able to fill it too. Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

I really don't recommend this approach, but until I engineer the swing-down sliding carrier I have in mind, this will do. It's been like this for most of 2020.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thankfully diesel isn't volatile.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

I have been looking at area underneath van, but have not found tank solution yet...

Last edited by FloAK on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
slorider02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Casey,
Thanks for sharing your temp solution..I too have been looking at a design for under body tank.. I look forward to see what you guys come up with.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

What is this Chinese Diesel heater you speak of? Got a link to a product or a thread. THanks.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

I'm guessing one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Motor-Homes-Thermos...amp;sr=8-3

Looks intriguing...
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Joshwa has a thread about his install here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732863&highlight=

Finding a spot for the diesel tank can be tricky, but I really don't think I'd recommend putting it above the battery in the engine compartment. That's like four levels of not great.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

diesel fuel is flammable not combustible.

ie. it's not explosive so it's relatively safe there above the battery
now if you rear end a semi and jamb the battery & 2gals of diesel into the back end of a semi at highway speeds, there may quite likely be some conflagration as the battery shorts and erupts through the diesel mist..

definitely a worse case scenario

any other normal incident won't impact that high..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Won’t rear ending a semi make your shag carpet smell like diesel?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Hmmm I'd bet that's not diesel stinking up the shag in that event. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Diesel stains seem kinda moot in that event.

y u rune klassik?
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
diesel fuel is flammable not combustible.

Flammable, yes. And any leaking diesel fuel sitting directly above the battery means potentially fires in the engine bay, which is bad.
motochica04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I really don't recommend this approach, but until I engineer the swing-down sliding carrier I have in mind, this will do. It's been like this for most of 2020.

Hey. I'm also trying to figure out a good tank location. Did yo ever engineer the "swing-down sliding carrier"? curious what the the idea behind that is Smile

on a related note...where did you install the heater itself? I have an '02 Weekender and considering mounting the heater behind the drivers seat.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

motochica04 wrote:

on a related note...where did you install the heater itself? I have an '02 Weekender and considering mounting the heater behind the drivers seat.

Here’s my install

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732863&highlight=diesel+heater
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

motochica04 wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Hey. I'm also trying to figure out a good tank location. Did yo ever engineer the "swing-down sliding carrier"? curious what the the idea behind that is Smile

Nope, it's still sitting on top of my battery. I mounted the heater in an old metal tool box below the van. The heat is plumbed into the rear heater plenum, so there's no need to cut a hole in the van floor. This setup has worked exceptionally well since I installed it a few years ago.

y u rune klassik?
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel heater.. Reply with quote

So, I couldn't resist picking up a diesel heater to install in the van. It was $75 and delivered in 4 days. I've been looking at a couple of spots to install the heater. For me, I will install the heater inside the van. I'll seal the opening through the floor and run the exhaust rearward.

Which leaves the fuel tank. I absolutely do not want the diesel tank inside. I'll probably put it where Zeitgeist put his above the battery. I even bought a similar tank since the big flat square tank included with the kit won't fit anywhere I can see outside. This will let me run the heater and gauge how much fuel I tend to use and how often I need to refuel.

But, while looking around underneath for a tank location I noticed a promising spot. Directly below the existing gas fill flap it looks like I could drill a hole and put a diesel fuel fill port. The diesel fill pipe would run through the same path the existing gas pipe runs to a tank mounted on the drivers side just in front of the fuel pump/filter. It's not a large spot but sure would make filling easy. Has anybody considered this spot?

BTW, I have a 2003 so I can't say if other years have a similar view underneath.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: