Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

Other than sandblasting, which in theory would probably be the best way, but how do you guys do work on those vents? Basically, I'm taking the car down to metal, because it's had a couple of crappy resprays, and this section seems to be the hardest/trickiest, most time consuming. Any tips or advice?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine, I drilled the spotwelds out from the in the engine compartment. Then just pull that inside vent area out and was able to make it super nice. Then I could focus on fixing the outer vents accordingly and when I painted, I could just worry about the outside. Then did the inside in a seperate session. Used a panel bond to put it back where it went.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

I just did this. Here are a few photos. Still need to weld the vents back in ... Hoping to take it real slow and not bubble any paint.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5ysTeDdDYikbHp78
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

gzaharatos67 wrote:
I just did this. Here are a few photos. Still need to weld the vents back in ... Hoping to take it real slow and not bubble any paint.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5ysTeDdDYikbHp78

I just did this job on my 52 this summer, and had to do it over because I didn't check a few things well enough. The curve of the inner piece determines the curve of the outer vent section, and more importantly, it has to match the curve of the deck lid. I had mine reinstalled, welded and ground and then discovered that it didn't exactly match the curve of the deck lid. D'oh!!!
Back out it came, which sucked.
Clamped and ready.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But with the clamps like this there isn't any good way to hold the lid up to check that the curves match. You can screw the piece in, and then weld up the screw holes, or make a template of the curve. I used a template and then. screwed the piece in place. Removed the screws one at a time and welded through the hole to secure the panel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In short, I'm just saying it can be much more involved to take this path than it appears. For me it was worth it as there was extensive rust to repair, but wow. Doing it twice sucked!
SD
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

Great advice ... Thank you!
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

Any advice for masking off the inside of the vents to prime and paint the roof and outer vents? Not nearly as accessible as I thought it may be. I thought I could stuff rags etc in there but that's not gonna do it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

When I did my car, we primed the car, then immediately painted the inside of the vents. We didn't care about runs on the outside. Then we blocked the car and sanded the outside of the vents as usual. When the car got painted we only cared about the outside and what got inside didn't matter too much. They turned out well.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

Well I had an idea today. Lemme know if you think it'll work.

I ordered these magnetic sheets: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...m-e9Up480I

I'm gonna cut them into strips and see if they cling to the back side of the vents. I can't get my hands in the vents to tape em, but I bet I can slide these in from the sides and if they'll stick to em that'll block off the inside that I just painted!
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

If that doesn't work, maybe you could take a disposable kitchen can bag, tuck it inside the vent area and starting at one side, slowly fill it up with Great Stuff foam. If the Great Stuff melts the plastic bag, get an old pillowcase instead.

Just another idea...

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

On second thought,
Both of these goofy ideas might be pretty difficult to remove.

Never mind...

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

If your worried about overspray getting in there..
A, it'll be minimal and barely noticeable, if at all.
B, if you're still concerned, you can just shove wads of balled up paper in from the sides, or bubble wrap, or whatever fits. Just something thats easy to poke out later
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

Yeah it's overspray that I don't want in there. Esp from primer and sealer.

Magnet sheet idea no good. They aren't strong enough to stick to the metal backside of the vents. But they do have an adhesive backside to them and I bet with some paint sticks or something I can press them up against the backside of the vent and get them to stick. If I do I'll include a few photos.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding, priming, painting engine vents below rear window? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
When I did my car, we primed the car, then immediately painted the inside of the vents. We didn't care about runs on the outside. Then we blocked the car and sanded the outside of the vents as usual. When the car got painted we only cared about the outside and what got inside didn't matter too much. They turned out well.

Seems like the most logical and effective approach.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: