Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BS nitrogen tire fills topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

drier gas is most important, but I doubt it's worth paying extra for nitrogen to get it.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
drier gas is most important, but I doubt it's worth paying extra for nitrogen to get it.

Oh for sure on the street.....it's pretty much worthless....unless...... you are driving some kind of super car whose tires....or active suspension.....has a sensitivity to 1-2 psi variation that it cannot compensate for.

That last part is "kind of" ....or part of what I was getting at in my last post. In real road racing.....Le Mans,, Daytona ....F1 level cars....real race cars....1-3 psi can mean real handling issues the way those cars are tuned.

The vast majority of street/passenger cars....no.

But there is an ARTIFICIAL problem created here with LOT of new luxury level cars. If they havd a lot of HP and are tuned stupidly high....think like some of the AMG Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc. A lot of these all wheel drive, 6-8 speex or CVT luxury sport "sleds" ....their active suspension can react and tweak things based on very small tire pressure variations.
Part of this is active tire pressure sensing (that in itself is not new)....but along with differential speed sensors, ride height sensors, wheel rotation speed sensing by ABS sensors....and most importantly, because of a ridiculous shit ton of software and code.....it can cause odd handling.

Does this mean unsafe driving? Maybe.....but it would be noticeable, especially as tires wear, suspension parts wear or in bad/wet/slick weather.

This issue alone.....the overly "sensored" luxury sport sector.....is probably what has driven the cottage industry of "Nitrogen tire filling" at the street level because you get powerful cars that can be overly sensitive to tire pressure, driven too quickly by people with no extraneous driving skills who only want to look good going to the country club with no drama.

And.....the crowd I am describing....has the disposable cash to drop on stuff like nitrogen in the tires. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

I've worked at places that offered the Nitrogen service. It was sold as more of a tire protection insurance than pressure stability/tire life.
We had a realtor that was always getting nails in her Buicks tires. It literally paid for two sets of 4tires over a 3-year period of her services. Think it was 49.95 a year.
Quite a few more that tires were either replaced or repaired "free" of charge. There was a cap on payout of repairs or replacements per incident.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

I see no connection whatsoever between nitrogen fill and tire punctures!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

Quote:
some dealers have the machine that sucks down the tires, then nitragen fills them then sucks them down again and refils again, they can set the up&down exchange to 5 times from what a acura teck budy told me this weekend.

Despite all the math and science, I still think I'm a fan of the suck-and-blow method.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

Yeah but leaks are inevitable.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I still think I'm a fan of the suck-and-blow method.

I agree
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

I think some of you are missing the point of why nitrogen is used for many things.
Fractional distillation of air to separate oxygen and argon ect..... and liquid nitrogen, pressurized nitrogen could be a waste product of that process, thus costing virtually nothing but the tank to hold it.

Smoke it if you got it, but if it isn't easily available then don't worry about it.
Air is available and free everywhere, so you won't run out.

Or another way to look at it is you would be far better off to sell the oxygen and agron in your tires. Tires would work 1% better AND you would profit, but you just don't have the equipment to do it. Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point of why nitrogen is used for many things.
Fractional distillation of air to separate oxygen and argon ect..... and liquid nitrogen, pressurized nitrogen could be a waste product of that process, thus costing virtually nothing but the tank to hold it.

Smoke it if you got it, but if it isn't easily available then don't worry about it.
Air is available and free everywhere, so you won't run out.

Or another way to look at it is you would be far better off to sell the oxygen and agron in your tires. Tires would work 1% better AND you would profit, but you just don't have the equipment to do it. Laughing

Oh yes! In several sectors of my industry ...we use nitrogen in processes like UV curing as an anti-oxidization blanket against the ozone created by the lamps and electrodes to protect the substrate.
In others we use nitrogen as a "cap" inside of containers or in machines to prevent oxygen contact with certain chemicals and solvents. Again....anti-oxidization.

I think this is also what several people in this thread stated is the sometimes advertised purpose of nitrogen in tires.....to prevent oxidation of the rubber.

Of course this should work....
But it begs the question.....that unless your tires are going to be in use for say....a decade.....if otherwise they oxidize in the short term enough to matter.....what does that say about the quality of the tires you are buying? Ray
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

Not to mention the oxidation that continues at a furious pace on the outside of the tire.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Not to mention the oxidation that continues at a furious pace on the outside of the tire.

Well.....that's why shortly....I will be marketing my patented "Nitrogen and spf 50,".... tire ointment specifically to prevent the oxidization on the outside!

Only $65 a bottle...treats 4 tires and a spare! Available at a Porsche, Audi, Mercedes or BMW dealer near you Laughing

Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

this thread is so funny. reading the cheepass vw mentality point of view on something that cost $$ and is not oe vw. somethings cant be fixed.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

Ray, I think we have a buyer for your tire balm. I'll get the net ready.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I see no connection whatsoever between nitrogen fill and tire punctures!

There really isn't.. but when you buy the Nitrogen tire fill service, it usually includes and tire hazard protection plan that is good for one year.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: BS nitrogen tire fills topic Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ya, I have 3 tandem trailers, 2 single axle trailers and a boat trailer in the yard. The only one with tubes is the tandem we built in the late '60s out of 2 '54 Buick front ends. I replaced the tires on it last summer and they had to have tubes because the rims back then were not designed to hold air for tubeless tires. Two of the original tubes were still good but the other two had to be replaced.

Yes bikes and motorcycles still use tubes.

Bicycles are moving more and more towards tubeless now for quite a few years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: