Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve gap and compression
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetbabyjane1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Valve gap and compression Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the process of adjusting the valve gap we noticed the rocker arm screws have to be retracted quite a bit. See photos. The original heads were replaced with a rebuilt set. We suspect the new heads were machined causing the cylinder and head assembly to be shorter therefore making the push-rod extend farther into the valve rocker assembly. Is the operation of the rocker compromised or should we be worried that compression ratio is now too high? Are there any other issues we should be concerned about?

As always your valuable information to help with this restorations is greatly appreciated. You all have been great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap and compression Reply with quote

Can you get a .006 through there? Is the stem being hit off center? Does the engine turn over without any interference issues?

Those would be my questions. If you think that they need to be further from the valves….. it may be the cylinders are too low. Run your numbers through CB Performances compression calculator. I typically run that during my pre assembly mock up. That way I can get shims if needed, or machine some part before final assembly.

http://cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Sweetbabyjane1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap and compression Reply with quote

Yes to all your questions. We are concerned about the compression ratio being too high or any other potential issues.

Thank you for all your help, as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap and compression Reply with quote

What is your cylinder diameter?

What is the stroke of the crankshaft?

What is the interior volume of the cylinder head combustion chamber? If you are unsure how to measure it. I did a brief write up of it in my 2127 engine build, on my 70 Bug.

Here is an example, from the Cb Performance page.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: