Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jill's Type 34 Ghia.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

Nice, clean, well thought mod. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

I have to agree, very clean and nicely laid out so it can be serviced. Something not always seen today. Wink Looks well thought out, and it looks like you've thought ahead of any potential problems down the road that you might have. Looks damn good. Cool Keep us updated how it performs in the long term.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

sweet setup, thanks for posting. as electric a/c compressors have gotten better I've dreamed of doing similar. geeez that thing aint cheap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
sweet setup, thanks for posting. as electric a/c compressors have gotten better I've dreamed of doing similar. geeez that thing aint cheap

No it's not, but if you've ever driven any long distance (from fuel fill up to fuel fill up) it gets damn hot inside, especially in the summer months. A T-34 is more like a greenhouse than any other type 3 I've ever driven. I think a lot of that is because of the amount of glass in them. The front and rear glass do a sort of wrap around on the ends, and the windshield and rear glass are pretty tall as well. That lets in a lot of sun light. I remember coming back from Colorado Springs, and had a water bottle laying on the tunnel next to the e-brake handle. By the time we got to the Colorado-Kansas state line, it got warm enough that if I had some instant coffee grounds or a tea bag I could have made instant coffee or hot tea with that water. Between not really being seen by large SUV's and semi trucks, the heat inside is what prompted me to sell it. Well that and I just couldn't get comfortable in the seats (sucks having a low back problem). I'd rather just open the sunroof on my Notch, and drive it instead, as it's more comfortable, and CAN be seen.
But yes, it's a sweet set up. That's why I asked John about keeping us informed about how it works long term.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

It is not that expensive of a mod in my opinion when you consider the cost for A/C option was for a Type III in 1973 adjusted for inflation.
I personally am watching this mod with interest and thinking about it for my 64 Notch. Living in Kansas and experiencing the joy of summer temps of 100 with humidity is not something I cherish. The only thing I see as off putting is the need and mods for the high amp alternator.

I had been considering a swamp cooler solution, but of a different style. Igloo cooler filled with ice and use fan pulling air out from the ice into a directional vent. It would be powered by 5V fans. (See diagram) I made something similar years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But honestly, Jill's Typ 34 A/C cost is reasonable to me, (The labor is intense though I can tell)
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

I was only talking about the electric compressor unit itself - that's quite a lot. I've been looking at compressors under $500 and that's why I deemed it more feasible now than in the past. $1600 for a compressor is a lot. The rest seems normal priced - I do have a 66 Impala wagon with aftermarket AC - it's not easy or cheap. Shoot I was looking at salvaging from a used EV Laughing
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jill's Type 34 Ghia..... Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I was only talking about the electric compressor unit itself - that's quite a lot. I've been looking at compressors under $500 and that's why I deemed it more feasible now than in the past. $1600 for a compressor is a lot. The rest seems normal priced - I do have a 66 Impala wagon with aftermarket AC - it's not easy or cheap. Shoot I was looking at salvaging from a used EV Laughing

Yeah, I paid about $800 for the RenCool unit two years ago. There were a lot fewer choices then. I am sure there are cheaper than $1600 units out there now.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
stonewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:

But I always liked these wheels made by Pacific Italia which most say their Performance Industries, their 15" x 5" and I've seen them on Type 1 KG and PORSCHE 914 but I've never seen them on a Type 34 KG. They seem to be readily available in theSamba Classifieds.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I love those rims but very hard to find I think.
I think they would looking great on a razor edge Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: