Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maico disk brakes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

I wish someone would make repops of these disc brakes ..come on guys..
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

That would be cool. Heck, I'd like a wide-5 front disc brake option for K&L Bugs that fit behind 14 inch wheels. I watch this thread because a set of Maico brakes would get me to fit 15 inch wheels on my buggy! They so unusual that they cannot help but be cool.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Manufacturing brakes is a huge liability investment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I bet if empi made kits everything would be good ...
Let's all email empi and demand these annular brakes to be back on the market...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Let's all email empi and demand these annular brakes to be back on the market...

You be the first to load your family in the VW and take it for a drive on the interstate. Let me know how that works out for you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

You be the first to load your family in the VW and take it for a drive on the interstate. Let me know how that works out for you.

You swear that they are worst than drums brakes..and I know a quite a few folks that drive with drums brakes so what's the difference...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

This is an old post of porsche 356 guys and the annular brakes ...👇👇👇👇

https://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?t=19307
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Figure I can actually chime in here now.

Had my set on the car 6ish months. Fairly intensive work required to recondition the calipers. Bought off a member here and shipped halfway around the world.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You'll notice my alloy hub section appears to be a more basic casting shape, similar to the steel version sold in the USA. I've yet to come across another set the same.

They don't feel worlds better than the stock drum setup. But they do seem to avoid fade for a lot longer than drums when pushed

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Fishynos72 wrote:
Figure I can actually chime in here now.

Had my set on the car 6ish months. Fairly intensive work required to recondition the calipers. Bought off a member here and shipped halfway around the world.

You'll notice my alloy hub section appears to be a more basic casting shape, similar to the steel version sold in the USA. I've yet to come across another set the same.

They don't feel worlds better than the stock drum setup. But they do seem to avoid fade for a lot longer than drums when pushed

So if you have survived for 6 months driving on them than they are not junk like others may seem to say ...
Your kit seems to look more like the 356 version of the annular brakes but with cutouts maybe someone before you did some modification to them?? I could be wrong but that's what they seem to look like .....
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

So if you have survived for 6 months driving on them than they are not junk like others may seem to say ...
Your kit seems to look more like the 356 version of the annular brakes but with cutouts maybe someone before you did some modification to them?? I could be wrong but that's what they seem to look like .....

They're not junk by any means. They're complicated in their design by modern standards. For Instance the slider setup to allow the caliper to stay central is average at best leading to uneven pad wear. Asides from that and their difficulty to bleed, they're fine in use.

While being cut up Porsche brakes would be a cool aspect, I can confirm they have maico numbers cast into them.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Fishynos72 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

They're not junk by any means. They're complicated in their design by modern standards. For Instance the slider setup to allow the caliper to stay central is average at best leading to uneven pad wear. Asides from that and their difficulty to bleed, they're fine in use.

While being cut up Porsche brakes would be a cool aspect, I can confirm they have maico numbers cast into them.

Only really downside that I've heard about these kits is finding the parts / pads and cost from what I researched ...seems audi in 1988 went to these style of brake kits audi ufo brakes ....
Keep us updated on them please..only real info are folks who have these kits on the road with real experience good or bad we want to hear it ...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

You swear that they are worst than drums brakes..and I know a quite a few folks that drive with drums brakes so what's the difference...

You missed my point, if they were made today and by EMPI, they would be low quality... like most of the crappy aftermarket parts available. Now if Brembo or Wilwood made them, it would be a different story.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Fishynos72 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Only really downside that I've heard about these kits is finding the parts / pads and cost from what I researched ...seems audi in 1988 went to these style of brake kits audi ufo brakes ....
Keep us updated on them please..only real info are folks who have these kits on the road with real experience good or bad we want to hear it ...

Yeah no stress.

I had discs that were so heavily corroded that were junk, but they made a good stencil for me to have replacement laser cut.

Pads I had new material bonded onto my original backings.

Ideally a source of new pads or backing plates would be nice.

There are some NOS pads around if you go looking.

More -pusch has a whole NOS setup of maico for sale

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

Empi now days seems not to be the old empi from the past the owners now days seem to be about there good quality ..and no I'm not a spokes person for them...it was just a simple suggestion on having a person make repops and if any company could make repops why not ...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Empi now days seems not to be the old empi from the past the owners now days seem to be about there good quality ..and no I'm not a spokes person for them...it was just a simple suggestion on having a person make repops and if any company could make repops why not ...

I'm yet to be convinced that EMPI is all about quality.

When I converted to front disc, I used Ghia spindles, Ate calipers, Brembo rotors and FAG bearings. Not taking any chances.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Shocked

are we taking about the same Empi? Cause the safe bet is that they would F it up.
dinsdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Fishynos72 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I have been running Maico brakes on my Oval for a few years and like them. They brake better than drums but the biggest improvement is the brake feel - much more progressive.

The only significant issue so far was a leak from one of the cylinders. A hone and new seals fixed it. The company who refurbished them didn't have any issues getting seals but I got the impression that is was an 'old guy' fix as they said there was only one person in the company who did work like that.

The biggest downside is the complete lack of any spare parts. If the piston gets damaged or worn you are SOL. If the rotors wear you are going to have to get some made etc.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

dinsdale wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Fishynos72 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I have been running Maico brakes on my Oval for a few years and like them. They brake better than drums but the biggest improvement is the brake feel - much more progressive.

The only significant issue so far was a leak from one of the cylinders. A hone and new seals fixed it. The company who refurbished them didn't have any issues getting seals but I got the impression that is was an 'old guy' fix as they said there was only one person in the company who did work like that.

The biggest downside is the complete lack of any spare parts. If the piston gets damaged or worn you are SOL. If the rotors wear you are going to have to get some made etc.

Thank for your input...I would love to get my hand on a set one day soon I hope ....yeah like I said if we can find a company who is and was dedicated in making the exact kit replacement parts would be available..but that's easy saying than doing ...
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Maico disk brakes Reply with quote

My Maico disc brakes along with magnesium BRMs.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: