Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi camber compensator center bushing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Hi gang,
Is there a source for replacement center mount/bushings for the Empi camber compensator? Mine is about done.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2361516
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Here's a thread on how to make one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591199&highlight=camber+compensator+bushing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

If you have an early empi compensator no one that I recall makes the center rubber..most likely you would have to make it yourself or have a company make it ...I have 2 empi compensator and there also bad ...I also need to look for them or have them made....
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Hi gang,
Is there a source for replacement center mount/bushings for the Empi camber compensator? Mine is about done.
Thanks

Can you show us a picture of your camber compensator center mount/bushing? There were a few different styles made. Tunnel or split case trans:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Mine is the tunnel style. Your top photo.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Mine is the tunnel style. Your top photo.

Ok cool.

You'll have to do some hunting and comparing dimensions, but there are vibration isolators on the market that will work with some minor modification. The one in my picture above is a new "Vibration Isolator" I found, that had similar dimensions to an original isolator I have on my bus CC.

Global Industrial is a source that has these isolators.

Dimensions are 1.5" dia x .75" tall, with female threaded hole. You'll need to drill hole thru rubber, so bolt can pass all the way thru (see Empi patent drawing for reference).

The one I found fits great and should work fine. I have not mounted it yet, waiting for a new transmission. In the picture, you'll see a nut and washer on top of rubber isolator. I'm not sure this is necessary.

Hope this helps.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

one more thing...

The original rubber isolator by Empi had a diameter that allowed it to pass thru the hole in center bracket, once bolt was loosened. This allowed the CC to swing to the side, allowing you to drain transmission fluid. I was not able to find an isolator of this diameter. It might be a little tougher to change trans fluid with larger isolator, but shouldn't be too bad.

Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Thanks Erik. Excellent information.
escott427
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Any Idea where to buy the bracket for the Split Case transmission ? I've got a 58 stock, non synchro trans
Didn't read the fine print before I bought the EMPI unit, going to switch to the CB /original Empi style but no one seems to offer the split case unit
Thanks
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

escott427 wrote:
Any Idea where to buy the bracket for the Split Case transmission ? I've got a 58 stock, non synchro trans
Didn't read the fine print before I bought the EMPI unit, going to switch to the CB /original Empi style but no one seems to offer the split case unit
Thanks

No one makes a reproduction. If you see one, buy it, they go fast.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

I thought I saw a tread for Empi replacement parts for camber compensators?
I have 4 of them, and in desperation for the rubber bushings and support straps,
Anyone know of a source for replacement parts. Thanks

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

There's an ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1211950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
I thought I saw a tread for Empi replacement parts for camber compensators?
I have 4 of them, and in desperation for the rubber bushings and support straps,
Anyone know of a source for replacement parts. Thanks

I used to make the straps but have been unable to source the rubber strapping. On my 64 bug, I purchased the kit mentioned above a few years back but haven't had a need to use them so I have them as back up. For the center bushing, I used a rubber expansion plug (what they use on chevy V8's) and it's worked out great. This link is just for reference purposes https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-570-012-Expansion-Plug/dp/B000CZ3IVQ
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

Thank you good info

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for an empi camber compensator mount for an early crash case I made two for my 50 split many years ago. The silver one pictured is the spare. Simply need to drill a hole for the bushing stud.

Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

There is a third style Empi mounting bracket that attaches to the frame horns.
It uses the same bushing as the other brackets.

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

does anyone have the dimensions for the split case center bushing?
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

I have a split-case EMPI camber compensator.

Unfortunately I suspect the center bushing and hardware may not be original.

Here's some photos and some dimensions, in case it can help.

The rubber bushing:
* Diameter - 35mm at it's widest point (it may be smashed and thinner in other areas)
* Height - 12mm (again, maybe smashed)
* Height of wider part of rubber bushing - 7mm
* Height of thinner part of rubber bushing that passes through bracket hole - 5mm
* Diameter of hole in bracket - 16mm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi camber compensator center bushing Reply with quote

^^ The rubber bushing and large washer look like what's commonly used on a shock absorber with a stud mount.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: