Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding glass
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Sanding glass Reply with quote

I had a piece of glass cut for the rear window of my SC. The glass co. had it tempered for me. Although I gave them the original as a template it is a tad too big. It along with the Wolfsburg West rubber seal do not want to cooperate with the opening. I know you can sand the edges of laminated glass but tempered scares me. I have a 3" belt sander. What grit should I use or any tricks I need to know?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

I’d take it back and tell them to do it right.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I had a piece of glass cut for the rear window of my SC. The glass co. had it tempered for me. Although I gave them the original as a template it is a tad too big. It along with the Wolfsburg West rubber seal do not want to cooperate with the opening. I know you can sand the edges of laminated glass but tempered scares me. I have a 3" belt sander. What grit should I use or any tricks I need to know?

Did you take off for the thickness of the rubber?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

If they cut it bigger than the template thats on them. Id take it back and tell them to replace it or sand it. You can sometimes edge sand it, but it often does shatter anyway, and that risk should be on them, not you.
If you're already SOL and have no choice but to try yourself, then use a med to fine grit, gloves, glasses, and keep it cool.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

The new rubber is thicker than the original you need to soften her up a bit , massage silicone grease(but not spray on!!!) into the seal leave it for 1hr then soak it in hot water for 20 min just before fitting the window.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

Don’t sand or grind tempered glass. It has surface tension from being tempered. Tempered glass is super tough until the surface is attacked.

Modify Tempered glass and it will blow up.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I’d take it back and tell them to do it right.

When I posted it was already 2 counties away, over an hours drive.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I decided to call the glass shop and ask. The owner (he's owned the business over 50 years) said to use 120 grit and don't get it hot,just do a little at a time.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding glass Reply with quote

Don’t be surprised when the glass blows up. It is generally accepted that you can remove half of the thickness of tempered glass before it blows up.

By sanding it or removing glass you are cutting into the surface tension. You have nothing to lose except the glass.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: