Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Eurovan Engine block removal of automatic transmission?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: 1995 Eurovan Engine block removal of automatic transmission? Reply with quote

If you've been following this saga of my 1995 Eurovan you'll notice I haven't posted in a very long time. I had an accident in the ocean with a big wave that pretty much bruised most of the upper part of my body. So for the last handful of months have been healing and I haven't had the strength to work on this Eurovan problem.

If you want to review the back story of this camper saga please look at my other posts over the last almost 2 years.

Right now I need the amazing Samba Eurovan skilled engine maintenance and repair gurus to help me out with solid advice. At present, the camper engine is not in the van most of it is actually sitting in the cab behind the front seats. The problem with the engine is it blew a piston and damaged one of the cylinders of the block and caused a little melting to the head valve on that cylinder. Why is the engine out of the camper? Long story short, a shop quoted the repair for around 3000 until they got the engine out and suddenly became 15,000.

To sum up, the state of the repair when I have them stop work. I have a replacement block (no cylinder head), brand new replacement STD Pistons, and current cylinder head Needs to have a little machine shop work done on it.

Now, what I need is advice and help with is the engine they removed. I am posting pictures of the original damaged engine that needs to be repaired to this post. In the pictures, you will see that the block it's not completely separated from the other components. A friend of mine believes at the largest component that is still currently attached to the block is the transmission.

So here are my questions:

1. Can someone please confirm that the large component still connected to the block is in fact the transmission.

2. To remove/lift our the engine (also seen in the attached picture) from the cab. Will a 1 Ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane be robust enough to do the job? If so is this something that I can do on my own or how much assistance will I need?

3. If the large component that still attached to the block is in fact the transmission. What is the difficulty level of unmounting the transmission from the side of the block?

a. Is this just a matter of unscrewing the bolts connecting to the block?
b. or once I remove the mounting bolts are there various components that may just kind of fall out?
c. If I am able to easily remove the transmission intact from the block, is it as easy just to rebolt on without affecting the transmission itself? (that was rebuilt seven years ago)

The reason I am inquiring about this. Is I have a parts shop down in LA that specializes in VW engines (specifically the Eurovan) that tells me he will give me a flat rate to send down the two blocks, replacement Pistons and, the damaged heads to rebuild it. Then send it back. The big benefit to working with this guy is that he has extra European ACU engines lying around for parts. (By “European ACU” means that these engine heads don't have a secondary smog pump attachment hole). However, he only wants me to send down both blocks and damaged head with nothing else attached to them.

I as well have a mechanic in my area that is familiar enough with the Eurovan, to put the engine back in once the block is fixed. However, because of being a small shop and lack of available labor time he can spare. He tells me I would have to put the transmission (if that is what it is) and any other components currently attached to the block back on before dropping it off. His logic being then all he would have to do is check everything out tune it up and install it.

As of right now having him rebuild the block seems to be the least risky, least expensive, and the quickest option I have in front of me. That is all depending on the advice I receive here.

My only other option is a mechanic that has been working on VW rebuilds for around 4years he says, but I can't find much information on him for references. Also in southern LA, that tells me he can rebuild the engine, put it back in, and get it running. For also a flat rate a little less than the quote from the shop that originally took the engine out. If I wasn't that worried about how long it would take. However, I would need to tow the full van down to his shop in LA and eat the cost. My concern is there may be other parts with wear and tear or that might be damaged during repair that maybe very difficult for him to find (unlike the other shop that has bunches of engines laying around). Another is he tells me it is a mostly outside shop, so I'm worried it's not ideal if it's sitting outside for a very long period of time being that it's over 25 years old.

If there is another option in Northern California that I am unaware of for ACU engine rebuilds then please let me know.

Otherwise, I am very much looking forward to advice (hopefully positive) about my first.

Please let me know your thoughts thanks!!! Daniel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by gottrond on Tue May 31, 2022 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Engine block removal? Reply with quote

The transmission is still attached. It's in the foreground of your photos. You should be able to pick it up with a one ton crane by yourself though you might have to slide it towards the door to get enough reach. For a manual transmission, disconnect the starter, coolant pipe, intermediate shaft support, and then the bell housing bolts (including the hidden one next to the differential). It looks like you have an automatic so I'll let others chime in for additional steps with the converter. It's all just bolts--would be easiest with an impact wrench to take the crusty ones apart and definitely use a torque wrench to put it back together. I think your plan sounds OK.
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Engine block removal? Reply with quote

That is good to hear, thank you!!!

Yes, the transmission is automatic. I hope someone can confirm that it is the same process.

I picked up the:

"Milwaukee M12 FUEL 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool) with Rotary Tool"

Just to use to work on the van. Does the Impact Driver in the kit look like a good one for this job?
markopolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Engine block removal of automatic transmission? Reply with quote

Hi did you ever get your van back on the road?
I just pulled my failed Automatic Transmission out of my 1995 Eurovan Winnebago Edition Camper. I am in process of replacing it with a Manual Transmission. So I have experience with both transmissions.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Engine block removal of automatic transmission? Reply with quote

1. Can someone please confirm that the large component still connected to the block is in fact the transmission.

--------> yes it is the transmission, should be 098 321 107 L

2. To remove/lift our the engine (also seen in the attached picture) from the cab. Will a 1 Ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane be robust enough to do the job? If so is this something that I can do on my own or how much assistance will I need?

--------------> i used a 2 ton because i was aggressive, 1 ton engine stand is sufficient

3. If the large component that still attached to the block is in fact the transmission. What is the difficulty level of unmounting the transmission from the side of the block?

----------------> unbolts off the block, there is a mount on the back for the passenger cv axle, sppedo cable, shifter cable and some electrics as well. once you get is off remove the flywheel from the crankshaft and make sure you do not lose the two washers with it!!!!

a. Is this just a matter of unscrewing the bolts connecting to the block?
------------->yes, more or less see above

b. or once I remove the mounting bolts are there various components that may just kind of fall out?
------------>nothing will fall out various component listed above

c. If I am able to easily remove the transmission intact from the block, is it as easy just to rebolt on without affecting the transmission itself? (that was rebuilt seven years ago)

-----------> my advice would be to rebuild it if it has any miles on it or preferably swap to a 5 speed which is what i did.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: