Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank??
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

My (Edit) 1995 EVC is remotely parked, and I am replacing the fuel pump to hopefully get it driveable enough to get to my spot next to my home and pull the cylinder head off. The black rubber vibration isolator blocks on the pump assembly have begun to break down into small black bits and black goo, so, I want to drain the tank and attempt to manually clean it.

My current idea is to hand pump the 5-10 gallons of old gas into 5 gallon buckets, then take them to our local hazardous waste center in Austin.

Once empty I plan to attempt cleaning with some long rubber gloves, and possibly Acetone as my solvent if needed. T

Looking for suggestions on how to transfer the fuel from my fuel tank (the fuel pump is already removed) I have one of those red Harbor Freight hand pumps and have also seen a youtube video of a guy using a cheap suction/siphon hand squeezed pump that he says is about $4.

Just looking for any input, thoughts, suggestions.

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

Pour it into another 5 gallon container though fine wire mesh then use it in another car. You can actually buy a funnel with mesh built in at your FLAPS
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Pour it into another 5 gallon container though fine wire mesh then use it in another car. You can actually buy a funnel with mesh built in at your FLAPS

This is my 95 with the dead cylinder #3. The van had been sitting for 3-4 years when I bought it Steve,...now another year since I bought it,....I did add fuel stabilizer and another 3 gallons or so of fuel and drove it a bit,....the fuel is old, stinky, and now black from the black pump vibration dampers decomposing, So I am just going to dispose of it all and start with fresh fuel.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
My (Edit)
Looking for suggestions on how to transfer the fuel from my fuel tank (the fuel pump is already removed) I have one of those red Harbor Freight hand pumps and have also seen a youtube video of a guy using a cheap suction/siphon hand squeezed pump that he says is about $4.

Brian in Austin

What about using a 5psi electric fuel pump? Hook that into the line going into the fuel filter and draw it out that way. Power it through the cigarette lighter or just leads to the battery. Amazon has simple pump set-ups for under $10. Not sure how long it will last if there is a lot of junk mixed in with the fuel.

Here is an example: (not a recommendation of this particular item, just showing what is out there. Amazon won't ship this particular item to California but I'm sure Texas is fine.)
https://www.amazon.com/Leadrise-Universal-Electric...amp;sr=8-1
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
bcolins wrote:
My (Edit)

Brian in Austin

What about using a 5psi electric fuel pump? Hook that into the line going into the fuel filter and draw it out that way. Power it through the cigarette lighter or just leads to the battery. Amazon has simple pump set-ups for under $10. Not sure how long it will last if there is a lot of junk mixed in with the fuel.

Here is an example: (not a recommendation of this particular item, just showing what is out there. Amazon won't ship this particular item to California but I'm sure Texas is fine.)
https://www.amazon.com/Leadrise-Universal-Electric...amp;sr=8-1

interesting idea,....with the in-tank fuel pump,....is the fuel filter down stream of the fuel pump? thinking it would have to be,.....if that is the case, then there wont be fuel available at the filter location since I have removed the defective fuel pump. (???)
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

interesting idea,....with the in-tank fuel pump,....is the fuel filter down stream of the fuel pump? thinking it would have to be,.....if that is the case, then there wont be fuel available at the filter location since I have removed the defective fuel pump. (???)

If you have the fuel pump out and direct access into the gas tank, then get several feet of carb-rated fuel hose (not FI rated) and just suck it out with the electric pump that way.

Just replaced the filter out in my 95EVC and that is something you will need to do in cleaning out your fuel system. The fuel filter is located down stream, underneath of the left side of the van and just behind the crossmember. This is the write up on replacing that out:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9917841#9917841

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

I ended up going with Saturn’s recommendation and buying the 5- 6 psi 12 V pump. Digging around in my shed I found I had a 12 V power cord with a male plug and about 10 feet of 5/16 diameter fuel hose so it was kind of a no-brainer for under 10 bucks. worked like a champ. I did zip tie a bit of terry cloth towel around the intake and of the hose in the fuel tank to keep debris out of the pump, I plugged the pump in to my lithium ion battery bank; perfecto. Now I have cleaned out the tank, and tomorrow will be putting in the new pump and installing a new filter and fresh fuel and hopefully it will start and run.

Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
worked like a champ. I did zip tie a bit of terry cloth towel around the intake and of the hose in the fuel tank to keep debris out of the pump, I plugged the pump in to my lithium ion battery bank; perfecto.

Nice touch with the first stage towel filter, don't think I would have thought of installing something like that to the set up. The 12V plug into the battery pack is smart addition, makes the pump more like a tool and easier to set up in the future.

With a couple other cars, I have jumped the fuel pump relay to transfer gas out of the tank in prep of it being scrapped. This has also been done this more than once while on vintage car events to help a car suffering from the vapors make it to the next filling station. This is helping get my friend's 1966 Volvo 122S get to Markleeville on the eastern side of the Sierras, its Weber carbs were a thirsty addition.

bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
bcolins wrote:
worked like a champ. I did zip tie a bit of terry cloth towel around the intake and of the hose in the fuel tank to keep debris out of the pump, I plugged the pump in to my lithium ion battery bank; perfecto.

Nice touch with the first stage towel filter, don't think I would have thought of installing something like that to the set up. The 12V plug into the battery pack is smart addition, makes the pump more like a tool and easier to set up in the future.

With a couple other cars, I have jumped the fuel pump relay to transfer gas out of the tank in prep of it being scrapped. This has also been done this more than once while on vintage car events to help a car suffering from the vapors make it to the next filling station. This is helping get my friend's 1966 Volvo 122S get to Markleeville on the eastern side of the Sierras, its Weber carbs were a thirsty addition.

Pics of one of my 122s back in the day

VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

take it off drain it and clean it with oven cleaner to remove any ethanol deposits. Clean fuel will keep your engine running well and your pump and injectors in good condition.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: replacing fuel pump, suggestions on how to drain fuel tank?? Reply with quote

VWinny wrote:
take it off drain it and clean it with oven cleaner to remove any ethanol deposits. Clean fuel will keep your engine running well and your pump and injectors in good condition.

See above to see how I drained the tank. New fuel pump and filter going in today or tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: