Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Finishing touch with the rubber boots.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where about did you get the rubber boots from ?
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
OK, the engine cranks over fine, but does not fire at all. 8 month old gas should still make fire. If it were 8 years old, that would be different.

Time to check for spark. My guess would be that the points have corroded a little and are not making proper contact. That, or the inside of the distributor cap is corroded and needs to be cleaned or replaced. These are simple things that cost nothing.

Still won’t fire up. Dist cap, all wires to the coil are clean and I have an electronic ignition. Baffled…sometimes I turn the key and it only turns over once even with a new battery (voltmeter shows 12.5v). Also, tapped the bowl as suggested. Nothing.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
OK, the engine cranks over fine, but does not fire at all. 8 month old gas should still make fire. If it were 8 years old, that would be different.

Time to check for spark. My guess would be that the points have corroded a little and are not making proper contact. That, or the inside of the distributor cap is corroded and needs to be cleaned or replaced. These are simple things that cost nothing.

Still won’t fire up. Dist cap, all wires to the coil are clean and I have an electronic ignition. Baffled…sometimes I turn the key and it only turns over once even with a new battery (voltmeter shows 12.5v). Also, tapped the bowl as suggested. Nothing.

OK, gotta back up again.

"turns over once". So the engine turns over once with the starter, then stops turning? Or it fires once, then nothing? Big difference.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Sorry. It never fires. Sometimes it cranks and cranks and cranks and nothing. Sometimes it cranks once and nothing. Either scenario it seems like the new battery runs out of juice but when I check with a voltmeter I have 12+volts.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 Dove Blue Kombi Reply with quote

kiwipip wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
Finishing touch with the rubber boots.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where about did you get the rubber boots from ?

WW has them

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111951195A
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Sorry. It never fires. Sometimes it cranks and cranks and cranks and nothing. Sometimes it cranks once and nothing. Either scenario it seems like the new battery runs out of juice but when I check with a voltmeter I have 12+volts.

12 volts at the battery? What about at the coil (key on)? Also at the starter while hitting the key? Something ain't right. I am predicting a bad ignition switch. Could be wrong.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

12 volts at the battery? What about at the coil (key on)? Also at the starter while hitting the key? Something ain't right. I am predicting a bad ignition switch. Could be wrong.

12.4V at the battery, 10.4V at the coil (key on), grounding straps clean, dist. cap clean, I have an electronic ignition and a hard start relay kit to boot. I am stumped...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

12.4V at the battery, 10.4V at the coil (key on), grounding straps clean, dist. cap clean, I have an electronic ignition and a hard start relay kit to boot. I am stumped...

That coil voltage may be too low to fire the electronic ignition. Did you test the coil voltage while cranking the engine? Gotta have a helper for that one.

Electronic ignition may have failed, too. Have you checked for spark at the coil wire or a plug wire while cranking? I have had those units fail on me twice, while on road trips. Glad I had a few sets of points with me.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Dubskii wrote:

That coil voltage may be too low to fire the electronic ignition. Did you test the coil voltage while cranking the engine? Gotta have a helper for that one.

Electronic ignition may have failed, too. Have you checked for spark at the coil wire or a plug wire while cranking? I have had those units fail on me twice, while on road trips. Glad I had a few sets of points with me.

7.7V at coil while cranking. No spark at the cool wire. Must be elect ignition. Do those have a habit of just not working one day?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Must be elect ignition. Do those have a habit of just not working one day?

Yes. Yes they do. Install a set of points and a condenser. If you wanna put a new electronic setup in there, always keep a set of points in the bus, and the tools to swap 'em in.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
7.7V at coil while cranking.

Which side of the coil did you check?

Try a jumper wire from the battery + to the coil + then crank it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Dubskii wrote:
7.7V at coil while cranking.

Which side of the coil did you check?

Try a jumper wire from the battery + to the coil + then crank it.

This is a good point. just remember that when you jumper the coil, you cannot turn the engine off at the switch, gotta yank that wire off.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Gas in tank.
New battery.
New coil.
Spark at the distributor.
Spark at the plugs.
Ignition switch is not corroded and connections tight.
Hard start relay fuse is good.
Bridged the battery + to the starter and it spun perfectly.
Jumped battery + to coil +.

I get one turn of the engine and that is it.

Had a neighbor hook up jumper cables and still only one turn of the engine.

At a loss...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Gas in tank.
New battery.
New coil.
Spark at the distributor.
Spark at the plugs.
Ignition switch is not corroded and connections tight.
Hard start relay fuse is good.
Bridged the battery + to the starter and it spun perfectly.
Jumped battery + to coil +.

I get one turn of the engine and that is it.

Had a neighbor hook up jumper cables and still only one turn of the engine.

At a loss...

Something is amiss in the starter circuit. You mention the hard start relay FUSE, but what about that relay? Does it click when you are getting no crank? It is a cheap and easy thing to replace.

EDIT: just a thought, try pulling the spark plugs to see if the engine spins freely with no compression. If not, definitely a starter issue or the engine rotating assembly is binding up somehow. If so, it points directly at a starting circuit issue.

Last edited by cdennisg on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Have you tried shooting starter fluid down the carb throat while cranking? Are you sure your float bowl is full? I had a situation where my float bowl was nearly dry and my pump wasn't primed(had run dry). Didn't have any extra gas to fill bowl so had to keep engine running on the starter fluid briefly until the engine pulled enough vacuum to fill the float bowl.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Have you tried shooting starter fluid down the carb throat while cranking? Are you sure your float bowl is full? I had a situation where my float bowl was nearly dry and my pump wasn't primed(had run dry). Didn't have any extra gas to fill bowl so had to keep engine running on the starter fluid briefly until the engine pulled enough vacuum to fill the float bowl.

If the starter isn't spinning the engine, no amount of starter fluid will help.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Ok sorry you hadn't been very clear about that. One place I thought you said it did crank. In your last post you said one turn of the engine, which is hard to distinguish whether you mean crank or firing. If you can only get one crank and nothing else then you don't even need to look at spark or fuel or air.

If you take the starter off see if it spins freely with power. If it does then the starter gear and flywheel are binding or your engine has partially seized or too tight.

Edit: read that last post again, when you said you bridges the battery and it spun perfectly do you mean the engine cranked over and over fine without issue?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

If you turn the engine using a wrench on the pulley nut what happens?
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

The engine spins freely when doing the above.

As for the relay...I ordered a new and should receive in the next day or two. Will update once that is checked off.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Kombi Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
BarryL wrote:

The engine spins freely when doing the above.

As for the relay...I ordered a new and should receive in the next day or two. Will update once that is checked off.

Other than days like today, that relay is readily available at any local parts place. Probably under fifteen bucks, too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: