Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Looking good.

If you really want to improve the drivability, lose the 009 & get an original SVDA distributor.

The vacuum advance & correct advance curve gets rid of the need to, what I call, “three blip slip” technique that everyone ultimately adopts to get a 009 equipped engine off the line. With a proper distributor, you just roll into the accelerator pedal, & the car just accelerates away without the bucking or hesitation.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
It looks fantastic all dialed in! Cool

I'm digging the 4 bolt smoothies, where did you get those?

Thank you! I actually got them from jbugs. They took about four months to show up, but they were well worth it!

1968 Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8965092#8965092
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Looking good.

If you really want to improve the drivability, lose the 009 & get an original SVDA distributor.

The vacuum advance & correct advance curve gets rid of the need to, what I call, “three blip slip” technique that everyone ultimately adopts to get a 009 equipped engine off the line. With a proper distributor, you just roll into the accelerator pedal, & the car just accelerates away without the bucking or hesitation.

Thank you for that feedback! I feel like the car has great drivability currently, but that's definitely something to pick up in the future.

1968 Beetle
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

A very different attitude, with it's lowered!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
A very different attitude, with it's lowered!

Thank you, and I agree! I'm a low car guy, so it's about time this thing was properly low!

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Little update..

Took the bug out for a Thanksgiving morning Starbucks run with my wife the other morning, and a day that started with a great cruise, ended with a driveway covered in oil and my dad and I pulling the brand new engine back out.

Left the car out in the drive when we got back so our family could see it when they were pulling in, and when we started it to move it back in the garage in the evening, it puked oil all over the driveway.

Even while it was puking, it was running very well for the 5-10 seconds it ran before we shut it off after we noticed. Looks like maybe the oil cooler or oil cooler seals were leaking? Best we could tell, the oil cooler vent in the fan shroud appeared to be where the oil was running down from..

Ordered a new cooler and seals, and we'll compression test it as well after we get it put back together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1968 Beetle
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Looks like it got over tightened. You do not bolt that cooler to its manifold straight away. There are shims typically placed in between the two pieces for a proper fit. Read the Bentley manual.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

That new driveway! Good luck on the diagnosis. Such a pretty bug. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looks like it got over tightened. You do not bolt that cooler to its manifold straight away. There are shims typically places in between the two pieces for a proper fit. Read the Bentley manual.

Thank Jimbo! Improper cooler installation is what it appears to be to us too. Thank you for the tip on the Bentley manual. I actually bought a copy of it last year so I will reference that for sure!

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
That new driveway! Good luck on the diagnosis. Such a pretty bug. Smile

Yeah.. my dad was pretty upset about that! Laughing

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Not much of an update. Engine is pulled and we're just waiting on a new rear main seal and the oil cooler/seals to show up. Any tips and tricks to get the new rear main installed properly?

Also, it's officially 4 years today since my dad and I bought the bug. She's come a long way since she left that lonely garage in Arizona and showed up on a truck in Indiana a week later.

1968 Beetle
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

I binged through the four years of this thread today. Congrats on the 2019 2020 life achievements, also congrats on reaching your car achievements!
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

riva wrote:
I binged through the four years of this thread today. Congrats on the 2019 2020 life achievements, also congrats on reaching your car achievements!

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'll update the thread after we get the new rear main and oil cooler/seals in. We're going to run the engine on the stand outside of the car first to test it, and then hopefully get it back in and get her driving by Sunday!

1968 Beetle
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

I just cracked your thread open for the first time. Wow, that dash was a mess, great job undoing all the hackery, looks so much better now. TIG is nice, ain't it?
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I just cracked your thread open for the first time. Wow, that dash was a mess, great job undoing all the hackery, looks so much better now. TIG is nice, ain't it?

Thanks man! The dash is one of my favorite parts of the car after repairing it.

Just waiting on the new flywheel shims to show up before we work on the engine. We'll be replacing the oil cooler & it's seals (engine builder did not use German parts on hardly anything. This is what we get for going with a "budget" motor build from the guy) along with the rear main seal just to be safe.

Picked up a starter adapter so we can start it and run it on the engine stand before it goes back in. Just to make sure we got that lil' oil puking issue figured out before we drive it down the road.

I'll update after we get it buttoned up this weekend.

1968 Beetle
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Ive just been though this with my oil cooler leak (although the seals were 25 years old in my case).

Dont just Believe "it needs spacers" or it "doesn't need spacers", it depends on if parts are original or not. The easiest way is to lightly hold the parts together on the bench with the seals in place and measure the gap between the little raised spacers on the cooler and the face of the flange (or any face you can measure to show the difference with and without seals. You want there to be about 35 % "squish" (difference between uncompressed seals and compressed seals) . Then when you torque the nuts down to the spec the cooler and the flange are solidly touching each other with the correct squish of the seals. You can also use bluetack to measure the final squish but dont get any into the cooler. Buy the best seals you can get.

If the seals will squish more than say 45% then you need to look at a spacer thickness that will give you around 35%.

Nice bug...
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Got the motor put back in today. Upon inspection, we could see that one of the oil cooler seals was pinched which allowed the oil to pour out. How this took 400 miles to leak is beyond me. Replaced the entire oil cooler for peace of mind, and replaced the rear main seal as well. I think of it as cheap insurance. Ran the engine for about 5-10 minutes on the stand without the fan shroud on it to make sure we could see if there was any leakage and we were solid.

Took the car for a freezing cold test drive after it was back in, and she ran great. Pulled well up to nearly 80mph and not a drop of leakage (beyond the normal territory marking). Glad to have her back!

1968 Beetle
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Awesome
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Awesome

Thanks man! Feels good to have it back on the road!

1968 Beetle
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Look in Good!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: