Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I needed to install the rear window on my recently painted '67. Most videos and instructions indicate two people are required. One outside to keep pressure on the glass and one inside the car to pull the string to bring the gasket over the lip. The one video I did see where the rear window was install with one person required having the rear quarter windows out. Since I had pop-outs I did try to keep pressure on the glass myself and pull the strings from outside the car. I was not successful.

So, I needed a way to keep pressure on the glass that did not require me to be outside the car. What I did is strap a 20 lb bag of cat litter to the window. I first positioned the window square in the opening, hooked together two cargo straps and put them through the pop-outs (although using the door openings would work just as well). I then put the cat litter on the window, lapped the strap over it and tightened with the ratchets. The trick was to have the straps snug enough to hold the bag against the glass so it would not slip off the window before the straps were tightened. Once everything was in position, the straps could easily be tightened thus holding the cat litter against the glass under a little pressure and keeping the window from sliding or moving when the string was pulled from inside the car. The lawn bag in the picture was used to keep the ratchet from scratching the paint.

About 5 minutes to get the cat litter secured and about 1 minute (or less) to pull the gasket over the lip with the string.

For those of you that do not have a cat (and, hence, no cat liter) a 20 lb bag of rice or other such stuff should work just as well.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

Creative. I wonder how much pressure was just supplied by the straps, and just having something to push against.

Either way, a clever solution for those of us that normally work alone.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

Now that's thinking outside the box!! Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Now that's thinking outside the box!! Laughing

Thinking outside of the cat box! Eh?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

litter-ally brilliant!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

It looks like you had fun doing that.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

The do make suction cups to pull on the inside.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

I just put the back windows in first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
The do make suction cups to pull on the inside.

I had the cat litter. I didn't have the suction cups.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Creative. I wonder how much pressure was just supplied by the straps, and just having something to push against.

Either way, a clever solution for those of us that normally work alone.

I didn't get the straps too tight. I didn't want to to crack the glass (if it was even a possibility to do so). I also thought the cat litter would help distribute the pressure more or less evenly.

chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

oddly enough this is how install glass in all my vws however, the bag of litter or whatever really isnt needed. you just need the strap to hold the window snug enough to get the seal over the pinch weld. the easiest one ive done yet is actually my bay window windshield
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

Well done! I've used the old straps over rolled towels method, but that is a great idea.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EASY One Person Install of Rear Window Glass (no cat required) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Well done! I've used the old straps over rolled towels method, but that is a great idea.

That also sounds like a great idea. I took this route only because I thought of the cat litter first, the straps second.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: