Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wet dist. hard to start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

On my 1971 bug, all stock, had a heavy rain last night, car was left out side,
this morning hard to start, back fire etc. took a long time very rough running, but when engine did warm up everything went OK, and still is.
I suspect rain water on dist. and coil ???? is there a spray you can spray on the dist. and coil to water proof them from the rain and when washing the car to prevent this ?

Anyone else ever have this prob.? Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Well, there is WD40, which stands for Water Displacement Formula 40, and its intended purpose is actually what you are talking about here, NOT a lubricant.

1971, does that not still have the rain tray on the decklid, or did that end with 1970?

Do you have the sealing disc inside the distributor?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Yes it’s called hairspray. Aqua net or equivalent. This is an old trick used by people running exposed engines, think Baja 1000.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Did you pop the distributor cap off and dry it out.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

You could reach out to Nextgen (Joe Cali) and order a set of these magnetic vent covers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the complete set for something like $45 shipped.
They cover the rear window vent, decklid vents, and front hood vent on later cars.
My 67 will have a vert decklid later this year. So that's why I bought the complete magnetic cover set.

All the other wet ignition fixes has been covered above.
Although, I have never heard of the hair spray trick. It makes sense!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Did you pop the distributor cap off and dry it out.

No, I did not, I don't see how any water could get inside the dist. ???
Maybe I should have tried that, it did finely start, but ran really rough until it built up enough heat to dry everything out, ran well after that.

67rustavenger,
I would prob. forget to remove them and do more damage to the engine.[overheat etc]
Maybe if they were painted bright yellow or had a remove before flight tag on them, I don't use check list anymore. Wink
But that might work for some. Thanks.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

"Anyone else ever have this prob.?"

Sure.

Forget the spray and keep the water out.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Next time it happens pop the distributor cap and check That's how you learn.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

This happens to me when it rains a lot. The bigger problem is when you run it and the go somewhere. When you come back out it is harder to start. You can pop the cap and dry the inside out. This should help.

If you do nothing it will eventually go away.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Are you using the stock air cleaner? I had that problem with an aftermarket paper filter on a later car with decklid vents. Rain would soak the filter. When you would try to start the car, it would suck water into the engine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

I've had lid standoffs on my 1970 sedan since 1976, and I removed the rain tray of the inside of the engine lid decades ago. Sure, I live in Arizona, but we do get some heavy rainstorms here.

Yes, everything like spark wires, distributor, coil would get soaked. Just ONCE did my VW fail to start/run during/after such rain, and of course was fine the next day.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Some outfits used to sell rubber "distributor condoms" that sealed the cap on baja bugs. I can't seem to find them now.

Use some dielectric grease on SP lead ends to help them seal better. If your wires are more than a few years old, replace them.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Listen to KTPhil . There is also boots you can put on the spark plug resistors .VW came out with the boots in 1972 to cure the moisture problems on the cars with rear deck lid vents.
Kumiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

The backfiring means that spark is jumping from one wire to another.
Make sure that you don’t have any wires making a cross “+”. They shouldn’t cross at a 90° angle.

With the engine running, use a spray bottle with water and lightly mist your spark plug wires. Mist individual wires and you should be able to quickly find where the suspect is. If it starts to stumble you have a problem with the wire insulation and it/they need to be replaced.

It’s likely, IMHO, that you have spark jumping due to humidity and poor insulation.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wet dist. hard to start Reply with quote

Thank you all, great information. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: