Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuild kit Neal turning brake
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

Is there any source for rebuild parts for my Neal turning brake cylinder?
It has CNC dust boots so I was wondering if there was a CNC kit that would work
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

When I was at Race Ready Products last year, Bob showed me his selection of reproduction CNC rebuild kits he had put together. You might call Race Ready in Chula Vista and see what they have to say.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

I rebuilt one many years ago using a CNC kit. What I remember is most of the parts were the same including the seals.
Neal Products was started by Bill and Chuck Neal. They parted ways and Bill kept Neal Products and Chuck started CNC.
A FYI, The pedal assembly that they made was a copied and modified with improvements pedal assembly from a 1950s Ford Anglia.
Before they started making their steering brake most were not as compact or well designed.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!
I opened up the turning brakes and they are 5/8" I will call race ready.

EDIT, they said they had nothing that would work on a Neal..
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

I guess I will just give it a try, I don't know that it needs rebuilding, I would really like to use the original on this restoration.
Not a big deal if I have to go back and replace it later, although it looks like I would have to build new lines again as the replacements are a little different, again not a big problem.
I was hopeful after seeing the CNC dust boots, they are split so it would have been nice to replace them at least.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

KarTek in Corona, Ca bought up most of CNC stock when it shut down. They may have what you are looking for.
Both Neal and CNC used many Girling brake parts in the products.
And like I said, I used a CNC kit to rebuild a Neal single handle steering brake many years ago.
Many are to young to know the history and only remember the name CNC.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

Christoper at KarTek said they ran out of any CNC and Neal stuff some time ago. Sad
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

My rebuild kits for CNC master cylinders look like cups pictured in Girling master cylinder rebuild kits.
I will have disassemble a spare steering brake to see how the cups compare to what I have and what is pictured.
Wilwood sells a copy of Girling master cylinders and parts to rebuild them.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

Thanks, I have given up on the master cylinders and am replacing all three with Wilwood, they are not visible unless the hood is removed so not a big issue with the restoration.
If the turning brake leaks I may just by-pass it, not like this FAV is ever going to run any Baja races, well maybe after the estate sale but that will be someone else's problem.
Are there any tricks to bleed a system with turning brakes?
ALSO is there a "standard" way to hook up a single handle cutting brake?
I wish I took more pictures, I thought mine was set up for pull left, push right but now looking at the fittings I am not sure....l...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

This what it looks like inside a CNC 5/8” single handle steering brake. The cup seals look the same as a picture of a Girling master cylinder rebuild kits I have found online.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This a Neal steering brake in my Wampuskitty

Later CNC steering brakes added a bleed valve on the top to help

What I use is a vacuum bleeder but have to make sure wheel cylinders are above steering brake to get all the air out of the system with the ones without the bleed valve on steering brake
Motion Tire Motorsports
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

I’ll probably catch flack for this but I also have some CNC cylinders that needed rebuild. I used Latest Rage rebuild kits. I think they were like 10 bucks. Most of lates Rages stuff is CNC or Neal rip off anyway. They were ok. They fit and are holding for now. Not sure how long they will last but the parts seemed to fit OK.
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Neal turning brake Reply with quote

Thanks!! I have only found kits for the Latest Rage 3/4" my Neil is a 5/8"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: