Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold weather starting question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
40 years ago when that chart first appeared 10w30 was the best winter oil for much of the country and the best selling oil world wide, but today it is fairly dated.

10/30 is 10/30 weather it was born today or 50 years ago. He's looking for low viscosity, not high. today he has the option of 5 or 0/30 but zinc is going to be the issue if he's chasing that.

synthetic is a bit better imho

a 900.00 winter beater would solve a lot of problems here.

Yes 10w30 is still 10w30, but just like a Ford Model T was once cutting edge technology, 10w30 has been surpassed by a more modern products. As I said "Today's oils, especially synthetics have much higher viscosity indexes" which means today you can buy oils like 0w30, 5w30 which have HIGHER VISCOSITY INDEXs than a 10w30, or 30wt. I didn't define the term viscosity index (VI), and just have to live with what others came up with no matter how confusing it may seem,higher viscosity index oils have a higher spread than do low viscosity index oils. If I were seeing temperatures below 10 or even 15°F these days, I would be running something like a 0w30, 5w30, or a 5w40, to give me high cranking speeds, in fact spending time in the low elevation deserts of the SW during the winter any more I still run a 5w40 synthetic as it will handle the winter temperatures of the mountains should I head to the high country and the summer valley heat without having to worry about changing the oil to suit.

Note that hydraulic lifters tend to like thinner oils. I let my 83 1/2 with a 2.1L transplant sit for 6+ months and when I fired it up the lifters didn't make a single click as with 5w40 synthetic in the engine they had not leaked down at all.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

I live in upper Wisconsin and run 10w30 year round. When I lived in Northern NY I ran 10w30 year round.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

I was able to shovel up 20W/50 off a 2 degree angled slope at about 20 degrees F when the cold oil blew a pipe off my oil cooler at over 110 psi.
It gave me time to collect it before it ran into drainage ...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

Kblack1101 wrote:

In that case, I might as well not even put any oil in the thing... Rolling Eyes Temperature is temperature. Has nothing to do with anyone's opinion over "harshness" or geographic location.

I am not at all worried about taxing my charging system. I want to protect the cam, all bearing surfaces and ensure the engine is operating with good / correct oil pressure.

NEXT!!!

pretty dick reply. he has a point. a good strong battery is going to be better for you and your charging system and prevent flooding while you attempt to start it.

any oil will protect just fine. I mean think about it. The whole inside of the engine is coated in it.

That said if you want to keep any zinc in the oil you'll be hard pressed to find anything thinner than 10-30.

0-30 synthetic will work fine as long as zinc content isn't a concern.

right from the '77 owners manual. take your pick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey no need for name calling. ( I earned it though) I admit that was a shitty response from me and I whole heartedly apologize for that. There was no need for my rude response when someone was just trying to help. Sorry about that. Original response has been edited to acknowledge my rudeness.

Last edited by Kblack1101 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
40 years ago when that chart first appeared 10w30 was the best winter oil for much of the country and the best selling oil world wide, but today it is fairly dated.

10/30 is 10/30 weather it was born today or 50 years ago. He's looking for low viscosity, not high. today he has the option of 5 or 0/30 but zinc is going to be the issue if he's chasing that.

synthetic is a bit better imho

a 900.00 winter beater would solve a lot of problems here.

I don't need a winter beater. It will be another thing to deal with, register, insure etc.... My Toyota will be out of the body shop by the end of December. I'm honestly just looking for a quick way to get to work for 2-3 weeks without disrupting my entire family. The weather outlook is mild all things considered. I wanted to ask about the oil only so there is minimal wear and tear on the bearings while I get through this.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Both of my T1 ACVWs have Kats VW-15 sump heaters, they are total game changers and I highly recommend one.

Here’s one I found doing a quick Google search for a T4 engine.

https://germansupply.com/sump-heater-for-type-4-engine.html

That is a good idea and would be nice to extend the driving season of my air-cooled vehicles. If only Wisconsin didn't use road salt. It just destroys vehicles here.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
I live in upper Wisconsin and run 10w30 year round. When I lived in Northern NY I ran 10w30 year round.

I used to live in Upstate NY also. Originally from Saratoga Springs. Where did you come from in NY? Where are you now?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

Run whatever oil makes sense. Go through all the usual maintenance and tune up stuff…the basics. Wash the undercarriage thoroughly when you get your daily driver back. Does your windshield washer fluid thing work? You will need it. It’s a game changer for winter driving. Put the battery on a tender at night for winning starting conditions…charged cell phone, AAA membership up to date. You’ll be fine.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Run whatever oil makes sense. Go through all the usual maintenance and tune up stuff…the basics. Wash the undercarriage thoroughly when you get your daily driver back. Does your windshield washer fluid thing work? You will need it. It’s a game changer for winter driving. Put the battery on a tender at night for winning starting conditions…charged cell phone, AAA membership up to date. You’ll be fine.

All of this is great advice all around. Washer fluid / squirters work. Although my wipers have a hard time making good contact with the windshield. I should get that sorted out ASAP.

Battery on the tender for sure. AAA is a good call. I no longer carry their service with my insurance offering roadside.. I will have to look into the advantages of AAA again.

Thank you!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

Quote:
Although my wipers have a hard time making good contact with the windshield.

it's a physics thing. The wipers are moving faster than the bus so the bus can never catch up with them..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing It is also why they are always in front of you and never behind except when you are backing up. I think that means a bus goes faster in reverse than forwards......
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Although my wipers have a hard time making good contact with the windshield.

it's a physics thing. The wipers are moving faster than the bus so the bus can never catch up with them..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing It is also why they are always in front of you and never behind except when you are backing up. I think that means a bus goes faster in reverse than forwards......

Perspective! Laughing Laughing Laughing I never thought of it that way. I can just drive in reverse when the windshield gets dirty.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

Kblack1101 wrote:
crownline wrote:

I used to live in Upstate NY also. Originally from Saratoga Springs. Where did you come from in NY? Where are you now?

We were in Queensbury close to lake george. Now in Hayward.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather starting question Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Kblack1101 wrote:
crownline wrote:

We were in Queensbury close to lake george. Now in Hayward.

Small world for sure! We lived closer to each other in NY than we do in WI though. Hayward is great. I do a lot of musky fishing on the Nam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: