Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loss of power under load Feels like taking of on 3rd gear.SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Harsh one. I'd be suspicious of a bad connection in the wiring harness. I had a motorcycle that had a broken connector that was inside a vinyl type plug. The vinyl plug would hold things together some of the time and I think vibration would be enough to create a gap sometimes then it didn't want to charge. It was a brutal one to find but stuff like that happens with connectors and connections. I think I would try checking all the engine grounds and connections for the fuel and ignition systems. Also a had a chevy truck with a bad wire from the coil to distributor, it would randomly stall. That one took awhile to figure out. Good luck.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Assuming clogged exhaust, you can remove the oxygen sensor and test drive. This adds an exit for the exhaust gas without unbolting the exhaust. If driving improves despite the noise, you may have a restriction.

I watched your tps video. You need to improve how you connect the meter leads to the terminals. I’ve pack ratted some old Bosch type male and female wire connectors with pig tails just for testing.

The switch does have continuity. You can’t adjust the resistance out. You can only adjust where it opens and closes. I refer you to the manual for adjusting the switch. It does make a difference in drivability when adjusted to spec.

Not sure the tps is the problem though.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

I don't see where you've checked the vacuum advance/timing...
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Socal Vip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Assuming clogged exhaust, you can remove the oxygen sensor and test drive. This adds an exit for the exhaust gas without unbolting the exhaust. If driving improves despite the noise, you may have a restriction.

I watched your tps video. You need to improve how you connect the meter leads to the terminals. I’ve pack ratted some old Bosch type male and female wire connectors with pig tails just for testing.

The switch does have continuity. You can’t adjust the resistance out. You can only adjust where it opens and closes. I refer you to the manual for adjusting the switch. It does make a difference in drivability when adjusted to spec.

Not sure the tps is the problem though.

I was able to adjust to get 0 ohm last night. Still have the same issue. Still have a few checks on my list to do this week.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Guys--All these thoughts are very good things to check out.

But why does the car show no problems in reverse, but are terrible when trying to drive ahead?

It seems that until this quirk is resolved, the others may all be red herrings.

Duncan
Socal Vip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Guys--All these thoughts are very good things to check out.

But why does the car show no problems in reverse, but are terrible when trying to drive ahead?

It seems that until this quirk is resolved, the others may all be red herrings.

Duncan

If I can get home from work early this week. I will do my best to video my drive on forward and reverse out on the street. To get longer drive than my driveway.
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Definitely need to circle back on Duncan's feedback. Could it actually be in third gear?

If your shifter tabs are worn out or your linkage rod is out of adjustment 1st gear can be very hard find. My van suffered from worn out tabs and it was almost like I had two 3rd gears (one where 1st should be and one where 3rd actually is).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:

If your shifter tabs are worn out or your linkage rod is out of adjustment 1st gear can be very hard find. My van suffered from worn out tabs and it was almost like I had two 3rd gears (one where 1st should be and one where 3rd actually is).

Get the car to an incline. With the engine warmed up and running, depress the clutch and put the car in 2nd gear and let it roll downhill until you get to about 7 MPH. Then release the clutch and see if you can get it to drive normally from that point on. If yes, the it's the linkage. If no, then try it somewhere else where you can get a coasting speed of 35 and try it in third gear. If OK, then its the linkage.

Duncan
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

The catalytic converter can be tested by taking temperature measurements on the intake side and the output side with a touchless infrared thermometer. the output should be a couple hundred degrees hotter than the input. also I'm not sure what year your van is I'm assuming it's a 2.1 maybe I missed that in my reading. The shoe box diagnostic shows you a lot of the things you're trying to figure out like the oxygen sensor reading, the temp II sensor showing the correct value, and TPS function. as for getting your van into first gear you can crawl under the van and move the shift selector by hand and put it into first gear.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Socal Vip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Socal Vip wrote:

DuncanS wrote:
How can reverse be OK? Have you tried to back up as though it were in first gear and you were trying to drive away?

Socal Vip wrote:

I checked the O2 wire and everything looks good. Also hooked up correctly.

Was that a visual inspection, or did you check to make sure there was no leak to the grounded sheath?

When warmed up does the low power situation still persist?

Duncan

When I back up on the drive way. It accelerate with no power loss and or hesitation. That’s after running the engine up to temperature. On the Shoebox monitor it is saying negative on the O2 ground. I am pretty weak on electrical knowledge so I have to look that up.

1. The O2 sensor wire has a grounded sheath to keep RF from interfering with the signal the ECU sees. If the wire becomes compromised and the sensor wire in the center grounds out to the sheath, then that's the issue you are looking for. Check continuity between the inner and outer wires. It MUST read no connection.

2. How is it possible that going forward is an electrical problem when backing up isn't. Yes, I know the reverse gear is lower than first, but not enough for the symptom you are describing. If the car backs up the drive OK, turn it around and try to drive up in first. You may have a wire which is dangling and on a hill in reverse isn't causing the problem.

I recently had a no-start, but HAD to use the car as I was already late. Opened the engine hatch and wiped my hands all over the wires including the coil and off I went. You very well may have something loose which is inclination related.

Duncan

I just got done testing the O2 wire and there’s no connection between the grounded sheath and signal wire.

I also try made a video of me going on forward 1st gear and reverse. You will se that reverse is strong and has no hesitation at all. I also drove around the block and cycled to 2nd and 3rd gear. Never made it to 4th since I don't have the power or speed for it. Can it be a shifter shaft issue? Is it possible for a gear to not completely go in and course this symptom?

Link
Socal Vip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
Definitely need to circle back on Duncan's feedback. Could it actually be in third gear?

I just replaced my shifter tab and bushings. I am able to cycle to all gears from what I feel. Perhaps I have it not aligned right? Now I have to check it again to make sure.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

listening to your video, not being there in person and doing armchair diagnosing, it sounds like you have a dead cylinder!!! since your compression numbers are good, i'm calling it a bad fuel injector!

easy to check by pulling each injector pair and observing fuel spray.

or try the lazy method.... with the engine running, go around and tap each injector body fairly hard with the handle of a screw driver multiple times. listen if there's a change in the engine and then test drive!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Socal Vip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
listening to your video, not being there in person and doing armchair diagnosing, it sounds like you have a dead cylinder!!! since your compression numbers are good, i'm calling it a bad fuel injector!

easy to check by pulling each injector pair and observing fuel spray.

or try the lazy method.... with the engine running, go around and tap each injector body fairly hard with the handle of a screw driver multiple times. listen if there's a change in the engine and then test drive!

Just replaced my injectors a few days ago with Mansi Injectors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

This may be way out in left field, but I had a bug once that would go great in reverse but would simply not move in forward gears. Turns out one of the brake shoes had come partially loose and would bind up in the drum and not let it move forward, but in reverse it didn't bind so things worked perfectly. Just another possibility. Since it is free advice....well you know!
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Have you done a leak down test? A bad lifter or sticking valve?

Duncan
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

I hear a couple things in this video.
Exhaust a bit loud? Leak?
Not firing well, even in reverse, bc it's geared low, it prolly compensate things.
Fuel pump is buzzing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
This may be way out in left field, but I had a bug once that would go great in reverse but would simply not move in forward gears. Turns out one of the brake shoes had come partially loose and would bind up in the drum and not let it move forward, but in reverse it didn't bind so things worked perfectly. Just another possibility. Since it is free advice....well you know!

Seeing the video I think I would certainly check the brakes and the transmission. On my Bay about 15 years ago, I installed new shoes and within a few dozen miles could hardly drive forward. Turns out the linings were crap and creating huge amounts of dust that was wedging between the leading shoe and the drum, thus forcing the trailing shoe hard against the drums. INstalled a different brand of shoe and the problem was solved. A bearing failure on the ring and pinion can cause the gears to run cocked and thus bind.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

Pull a plug wire off one at a time while running and look for an even rpm drop on each one.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

That sound like a cylinder not firing 100%. Either that or your exhaust is leaking.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power under load. Feels like taking of on 3rd gear. Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to toss out an idea with so many good ideas already mentioned, but the difference from reverse appears to be notable. Why does it die in first but thrives in reverse?

- It's not in first: I'm not buying that since you seem to know your way around a Vanagon.
- Rear brakes dragging in forward but not reverse? That seems like a good possibility (I've experienced it myself). Drive the van around the block a few times and measure the brake hub temps and compare to the fronts to see if they're hot. Depending on the day, I wouldn't expect to see temps much over 110*F. Or, apply the parking brake to see if it makes a difference.

dieseltdi wrote:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: