Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Roof Repair
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheetahking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

Hello all -
I recently inherited my parents 1978 bus. They have had it painted (with some poor bodywork) a few times, and it was stored outside, in Laguna Beach. As such the rear portion of the roof has some pretty good rust issues - it has gone into the hinge support as well.
I really want to get this fixed and workable to keep the bus on the road.
I have never posted on the Samba but have read through a ton of information here. I'm hoping someone can point me in a good direction for a few things:

1. I'm looking for some photos of how the rear roof structure actually is set up (I haven't cut the roof section out yet).

2. I see that Heritage Parts in the UK has a rear third roof section available (and they don't ship it I don't think), but I haven't been able to find anything in the US. Is there a source for this piece?

I'm looking forward to the next phase of this car's life, as I grew up in it.

Thanks for any help!

James
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

Get ready to be in shock. Rust never sleeps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

welcome. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear what you want to hear from any of us. The good people here who have been thru these things know what a job you will be undertaking.

A bay roof is a pretty serious repair. If you are used to autobody work you can probably pull it off but if not it may be a challenge for a novice. They often rot from the inside out because some of the sections are sandwiches of metal - the rust gets in between the layers and eats outwards. In that case all the structure involved has to be replaced. Your easiest solution is to see if Interstate VW, in 29 Palms now, has any donor sections that your body shop will need.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

I have that section, super dry Southwest donor. It is shippable ( won't be cheap).PM for details
Cheetahking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'm not discouraged - I appreciate honesty and even differing opinions. Areomech - that looks a lot like what I'm dealing with. Did you do your own work on that - or a body shop? I'd pay a shop (I realize its not cheap) but I hear so many horror stories with shops and older cars I want to understand my options. If anyone has a recommendation for someone to tackle this I would take that as well.

I've done bodywork - but nothing that extensive (I have a 1972 Datsun 510 as well so I understand rust!). I'm just trying to get a handle on what I'm looking at and how its put together.

Manfred - will reach out.

Any more photos would be appreciated (or if someone knows a build thread to point me to as well.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

This bus belonged to my customer. He took it to a body shop in San Diego. It ended badly but the bus was finished at some point and eventually sold.

Be very careful who you hire to do this work. Many are liars and drug abusers.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cheetahking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

Yes - that's what I worry about. I think most of the quality shops make their money on insurance claims and the true restorers who have knowledge and are honest are harder to find. Thanks for the info!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

Cheetahking wrote:
the true restorers who have knowledge and are honest are harder to find. Thanks for the info!

not really

but the issue is they are about 4x as much and 2.5 times "slower" than your average body shop

not only that, but they usually work on stuff with an "open checkbook" mentality especially if it's a bizarre repair, like that roof section.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

With that bus being near the ocean all its life and un-protected, I'll bet there is a lot more rust in it than imagined. It gets really humid at night near the ocean so things get wet internally too from condensation. Add in the salt in the air... I've lived near the ocean several times in my life and corrosion is always present in things left outdoors at night.
Cheetahking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Cheetahking wrote:
the true restorers who have knowledge and are honest are harder to find. Thanks for the info!

not really

but the issue is they are about 4x as much and 2.5 times "slower" than your average body shop

not only that, but they usually work on stuff with an "open checkbook" mentality especially if it's a bizarre repair, like that roof section.

You could be correct. I'm only going on what I read - not from direct experience. I'll see what/who I can find!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

think of it this way. A guy wants to make $90K a year after expenses. If he takes on 3 buses a year he is pretty aggressive on rust repairs because each owner wants it like it was when it left the factory. Each bus owner has to pay $30K plus expenses, parts and materials to cover that guy's time. That is what you are up against. It is not like an 8 hour repair. But if the repairs take so much time that he can only do two buses a year, which includes the time chasing parts etc., then the price goes to $45K a bus plus parts, expenses and materials. No bus owner will pay that so there is no market for it unless you are dealing with someone who lives in a rural area of the USA where real estate costs are low, where he likes to putz around working on things rather than take a job in town. That isn't SoCal unless you can turn the hands of time back to 1960.
Cheetahking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

I understand completely. It's a tough needle to try and thread. I'm keeping my eyes open....
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roof Repair Reply with quote

what you're asking isn't impossible, it will just take the right shop/person to get it done.

any time someone reaches out for work like that, or any other major (expensive) work I always ask "is this your forever bus?" because if it isn't and you plan on selling in a few years then it just isn't worth the expense.

as long as you realize that and you're really and truly ok with spending the money then that's fine...

I have actually talked about 4-5 people out of doing stuff because they felt like they were just going to drive it for a season or 2 and move on....that's fine. we all pretty much know we'll never recoup the $$ we pour into these but for many it's about the memories, new or old and being able to keep making them with kids/grandkids etc.

I always make it crystal clear before someone starts in on something like this.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: