Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Had my wife start it while I was at the light….car started on cold start and died. No light at injector wire.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

NOID light should pulse light during the cranking. Chase that issue down. The question to answer is why do the injectors not trigger? Is a hot side or the ground side or the computer?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Noise light should pulse light during the cranking. Chase that issue down. The question to answer is why do the injectors not trigger? Is a hot side or the ground side or the computer?

Sickies claims there's power from 88b, now the question is does it make it to the resistor pack?, and then to the injector plugs? There's a good place to start, check for voltage at the injector plugs when the key is on, best if you disconnect all 4 injectors so you can test individual circuits, one of the two contacts in each plug should have power.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

I tested the center wire of the resistor pack with a test light and it lit up. (88B at relay is lit as well) I will unplug all of the injectors and test each one with the Noid tonight. Thanks you all for trying to help me with this! On a good note I never worked on a FI bug before and now I have some knowledge of how they work!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Sickies Garage wrote:
On a good note I never worked on a FI bug before and now I have some knowledge of how they work!

That's how all of us learned, keep it up and you'll be pro in no time! Very Happy

Let's make sure the power is indeed making it all the way to the injectors, if it is then we'll explore the trigger circuit more.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Pulled all of the injector wires…. Going across both terminals I’m reading anywhere from 8-11volts depending on which injector I’m at. Guessing the voltage diff is due to the resistor pack? I tested with the Noid lights and still see nothing!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Voltage is good, but don't expect any action from the noid light testing static, that only can happen when the distributor is turning.
The system supplies constant positive power to the injectors through the resistors when the key is on, the grounding is done by the ECU when it's time for a squirt of fuel. The trigger to ground the injectors (they all fire at one) comes from the white #1 wire attached to coil terminal #1, it's the same terminal the green points wire is (or should be) on.

You say the grounds on top of the alternator are spiffy clean and securely attached, as well as the single brown wire on the battery negative terminal, that leaves the single wire to the coil. I think it was you who said they tested it for continuity to the big ECU plug and made sure the contact on the board was clean and shiny and the terminal wasn't squished or damaged, there's a few threads I'm involved with and they kind of blur together.

Слава Україні!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Ok so,something didn’t seem right because I went back and tested the Noid light with my 12v battery and it lit up so why didn’t it light up at the injector wire? I went back and looked at my digital V meter and had it set on the wrong setting! I’m not getting any voltage at any of the injector wires…once the meter setting was correct!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

And responding to the coil wire to the ECU, the brown ground wire from the battery to the DR, and the three ground wires by the alternator, and the ECU terminals looking good, yes….I’ve checked the, all several times. The car came with three DR’s and they all test as they are good.
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Question about the trigger wire….I thought that the coil sent the trigger to the ECU as the points fired to send voltage to the injectors? That being said why will there be voltage at the injector wire when the car is not running?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

There will (should) be voltage on one terminal as long as the key is on, but no ground on the other, that's pulsed by the ECU when the distributor is turning (points opening and closing).

Слава Україні!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Ok you just clarified the question I had about the injector plug…..where is the ground picked up? That makes perfect sense.
So I just was going over voltages at the resistor connection and I have 12v on each terminal. (Center hot and one for each injector) I’m assuming that’s correct. So does it make sense that I can’t get any injector voltage because rather “trigger”, or ground, from the coil isn’t making it to the injector?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Sickies Garage wrote:
Ok you just clarified the question I had about the injector plug…..where is the ground picked up? That makes perfect sense.
So I just was going over voltages at the resistor connection and I have 12v on each terminal. (Center hot and one for each injector) I’m assuming that’s correct. So does it make sense that I can’t get any injector voltage because rather “trigger”, or ground, from the coil isn’t making it to the injector?

Possibly. It may be a burned out driver in the ECU, but that would be a 1 in a 1000000 shot!

Ohm the wire from the 1 side of the coil to the ECU connector. What do you have?

When I was wrenching. I had a spare distributor on my work bench. I would plug it into the coil, ground the body, turn on the key and spin the distributor shaft as I watched the NOID light.

You could try that, but that would mean removing your distributor, and that may lead to other issues.

Also, here is a great resource.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...r_1974.pdf

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

You can get the injectors to trigger by repeatedly poking the #1 wire at a ground like the engine case while the key is on, on/off/on/off......., watch the noid light.

But if there's an issue in the wiring that test won't do much.

Слава Україні!
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

When I purchased the car it had an electronic distributor in it. I pulled it and put the one that came with the car back in it thinking that may have been the problem……way before I started into this efi stuff!
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sickies Garage wrote:

Possibly. It may be a burned out driver in the ECU, but that would be a 1 in a 1000000 shot!

Ohm the wire from the 1 side of the coil to the ECU connector. What do you have?

When I was wrenching. I had a spare distributor on my work bench. I would plug it into the coil, ground the body, turn on the key and spin the distributor shaft as I watched the NOID light.

You could try that, but that would mean removing your distributor, and that may lead to other issues.

Also, here is a great resource.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...r_1974.pdf
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Maybe we should go back to square one and consider the ignition system, obviously it's doing something if it runs for a few seconds, but does the action continue after the key is released?, maybe the "quitting" is really an ignition switch problem? And what's the battery voltage while all this is happening?, L-jet doesn't tolerate low voltages very well.

No ignition action means no injector trigger signal, does a test light connected between the coil's primary terminals blink while cranking?, does the blinking continue even during that 1/2 second when it quits and is spooling down?

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maybe we should go back to square one and consider the ignition system, obviously it's doing something if it runs for a few seconds, but does the action continue after the key is released?, maybe the "quitting" is really an ignition switch problem? And what's the battery voltage while all this is happening?, L-jet doesn't tolerate low voltages very well.

No ignition action means no injector trigger signal, does a test light connected between the coil's primary terminals blink while cranking?, does the blinking continue even during that 1/2 second when it quits and is spooling down?

Most EXCELLENT! Yes, ruling out voltage supply is critical.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

I sat back and thought this was an ignition switch issue

Click to view image
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

Think I may hav ruled out ignition early on by keeping the starter engaged throughout the cold cycle start up…..it still died.

I will go at it again today and physically ground the trigger wire as busdaddy recommended.
Sickies Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 VW Convertible will start but immediately dies Reply with quote

I checked voltages on the injector connectors and I’m getting 12v on both pins??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: