Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks to the Lazarus CBD energy pills, took one and just had enough to get:
Rear tail light bezel seals replaced
All 6 volt bulbs in except for the dash (swear bought them though not in the box) now replaced the 12 volt
Turn signal assemblies Clatter got me installed.
Leaving repairing the headlight wiring, replacing the headlight spring, putting in dash bulbs, installing the generator, installing 6 volt coil, and 6 coil choke (might have to go without, really expensive last time I looked) and its wiring. Going to be so nice not grinding the flywheel and have wipers at the correct speed.

Of course forgot to take pictures...

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

When it rains, it pours...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CB Performance says out of stock for the 2231 Grind, so now looking for suggestions for a mild camshaft grind for the stock 40 horse build.

This puts me an a jamb, because the lady who's garage I been using is moving do to her health (she is 96 and has been in really fantastic shape until just recently) and need to get the engine rebuilt ASAP, can't have a non operational vehicle over here. On the flip side, this means don't have to wait until February to have enough funds to build the engine, as her son in law going to loan me the money as they can't wait until then.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

You should be able to get your old cam reground locally.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You should be able to get your old cam reground locally.

Hey Eric, good seeing you! Very Happy

I been busy, didn't get a chance to edit. John responded in 43 minutes to my email! Shocked Buying directly, waiting to find out if my friend can send the funds by PayPal or if I need to (he hands me cash which I deposit tomorrow morning).

Tomorrow I will be reorganizing the storage unit, so can find my tool box with electrical connectors and ratcheting crimper, plus free my huge bench top toolbox, now next week will have a garage. That bench top tool box has all my good tools in it including some needed for the engine build, hopefully my ratchet set that went missing in the move.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Today was one of those days where every project you start, something happens to inhibit its completion. And being the first time of putting in a full day made it worse. However, did get done a few things:
Cleaned out and vacuumed the trunk.
Pulled the fuel tank and found the fuel tank weeping despite new outlet kit. Will have to find some fuel resistant sealant.
Put the steering damper back in (totally puzzled why removed and worse forgot to put back in).
Put the inspection plate back on (should have gone back in after the shift rod was back in).
Replaced the brake reservoir pad and secured the bracket down.
Put the washer fluid reservoir back in (again no clue why it was removed)
And tried putting the trim into the windshield rubber, though the fat trim had been sitting in it and widened the groove.

Would using a hairdryer relax the rubber? If not, is there an adhesive to hold it in? Hate to buy a new seal, it was an ordeal to get on the replacement glass.

The irony is the aftermarket trim is too fat to fit in the corners and the original trim is too skinny to stay in the straits. I can't win! Laughing

Anyone happen to know of a source or have these pieces of the heater tubes?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Today was one of those days where every project you start, something happens to inhibit its completion. And being the first time of putting in a full day made it worse. However, did get done a few things:
Cleaned out and vacuumed the trunk.
Pulled the fuel tank and found the fuel tank weeping despite new outlet kit. Will have to find some fuel resistant sealant.
Put the steering damper back in (totally puzzled why removed and worse forgot to put back in).
Put the inspection plate back on (should have gone back in after the shift rod was back in).
Replaced the brake reservoir pad and secured the bracket down.
Put the washer fluid reservoir back in (again no clue why it was removed)
And tried putting the trim into the windshield rubber, though the fat trim had been sitting in it and widened the groove.

Would using a hairdryer relax the rubber? If not, is there an adhesive to hold it in? Hate to buy a new seal, it was an ordeal to get on the replacement glass.

The irony is the aftermarket trim is too fat to fit in the corners and the original trim is too skinny to stay in the straits. I can't win! Laughing

Anyone happen to know of a source or have these pieces of the heater tubes?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

A while back, splashed out and bought new wiper pivots due to the damage to the shaft from the set screws.

Testing the feel of the new pivots, didn't feel smooth, so removed the clip and washer to find without grease. Wonder how many are out there without grease? Lubrication is critical. I will say neat of Wolfsburg West manufacturing in a way that they can be taken apart, doesn't seem the originals can be.

All back together except seems power needs to be applied to move the arm on the motor so the linkage will reach. Or did I do something incorrect?

Not good when you pull out one piece of upholstery and this mess comes out. Shocked Grrr...

At least the pack rat only ate the vinyl, not the tweed or the foam it is sewn to, I know of no source of the tweed (if did, might use it on the door panels).

Once again reminded not to let others control your life or allow them to take your time, especially when they are abusive. It is your life and time is not replaceable.

Antenna has sat unconnected since Fall of 1968, is the corrosion going to affect reception? I would think so. Not going to install the radio now, not sure why took it off been so long, just need to decide how to plug the holes.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Just install the antenna. If it needs to be connected to a radio it will clean up those connections by just slipping them together and apart a few times. A little dielectric grease would also help.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Those asbestos dealing rings are NLA, and I wouldn't use them if I had them. I don't know of alternatives... maybe wrapped aluminum foil layers, or some kind of metal mesh rings like they use for tailpipe kits.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Rat's... Man. Sorry to see that.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Just install the antenna. If it needs to be connected to a radio it will clean up those connections by just slipping them together and apart a few times. A little dielectric grease would also help.

A wire brush or steel wool will help. Just get rid of any metal fibers when done.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Okay.

matthew henricks wrote:
Rat's... Man. Sorry to see that.

Yep, loath them, especially as allergic to them (all rodents including hamsters and rabbits).

Thought finally don't have to deal with them, however, the new place has one in the attic, was in the living room wall. I think because two huge orange orchards were obliterated. Landlord says the exterminator taking care of it, however, not seen any traps. Hopefully when back at the storage unit find the traps used at the prior house, I got real good at killing, except one that could pull the bait off the peanut butter without setting off the trap. Shocked Yelled out after the third time, rat so long stay outside, you may live (I needed to vent). Besides, clearly s/he should pass on their genes as they are superior. Laughing

The two tricks I learned is put out unset traps with bait for a week so get used to them (especially as pack rats are very smart) and always wear rubber gloves when handling the traps so no human sent.

KTPhil wrote:
Those asbestos dealing rings are NLA, and I wouldn't use them if I had them. I don't know of alternatives... maybe wrapped aluminum foil layers, or some kind of metal mesh rings like they use for tailpipe kits.

Russ said so long as don't create dust, asbestos is not going to cause harm. Heater boxes also wrapped in it.

Wonder if could have a friend 3D print replacements. Think

KTPhil wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

A wire brush or steel wool will help. Just get rid of any metal fibers when done.

Don't have a fine wire brush, though got wire cups for the Dremel, handy for removing corrosion on small parts.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

Russ said so long as don't create dust, asbestos is not going to cause harm. Heater boxes also wrapped in it.

Materials analysis says those HE wraps are a fiberglas material, not asbestos.

Those sealing rings (and the little flat pieces on the rear "break" tin) are as well. Installation, heat cycles, and vibration all can cause it to move and chafe.

Me? I'd find/make an alternative. Your life, your choice...
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

Materials analysis says those HE wraps are a fiberglas material, not asbestos.

Those sealing rings (and the little flat pieces on the rear "break" tin) are as well. Installation, heat cycles, and vibration all can cause it to move and chafe.

Me? I'd find/make an alternative. Your life, your choice...

Interesting. So what holds the fiberglass matting together and coated with?

On my mother's side, everyone who grew up in that house got cancer, both my grandparents died of it. Built in the late 1950s with asbestos flooring (I suspect Oma's bathroom flooring also contained asbestos because of the sparkles and durability). So I rather do what I can to avoid cancer. I am sorry was not more clear, leaving in for now, as my friend with the 3D printer has not available. Do you know of someone with a 3D printer?

Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

[quote="KTPhil"]
Adriel Rowley wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

While this is correct, I wouldn't want to chance it. Psa, take any opportunity to not be around any asbestos product if at all possible. Slight vibration, road bumps, chafing, aerosolizing particles into the ducts. Not worth the risk.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

While this is correct, I wouldn't want to chance it. Psa, take any opportunity to not be around any asbestos product if at all possible. Slight vibration, road bumps, chafing, aerosolizing particles into the ducts. Not worth the risk.

That is why I handle the heater boxes with care. There is no means to replace the heater box covers and not rubbing my face in them.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I am tiring of this cold weather, even with thick wool socks most of the time can't feel my feet. Another reason, transmission oil flows slow.

Didn't help the plastic tube of the funnel had a kink (folded in half when packaged). The oil filled radiator by then was warm, so put the tube in the air cavity and set the three bottles on top of the heater. Got one coat of Firewall applied, by then the oil was nice and warm, made it so easy!

I really like this funnel, think if remember get a replacement piece of tubing a meter long, then can fill the transmission from the engine compartment even easier, maybe even with the engine in.

Got another coat of firewall on plus finished going through the storage unit, the battery tray has vanished. So when put in the Wolfsburg West order, add another one, need to get the welding done now.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Front half of the pans, firewall, and the rest of the back now all finished coating with Firewall. Forward front hood seal lip, firewall, around the tank, and a few places up front treated with Ospho. Hood seal mostly in, couldn't get the three nipples in either side and the skin has torn away from the underside of my nails on several fingers.

Also tried a hairdryer on the windshield seal, not sure if helped, so tried putting the trim in on the side and was like trying to force a toothpick into an ice cube (still very cold here). So spending the night at a friend's warm house and try tomorrow.

Puppy helping. Laughing

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Between the hair drier (I was concerned about melting the rubber with a heat gun) and it staying at friend's overnight, the trim gap mostly closed up, top still a little wide. I spent the morning straining my finger joints and pulling the skin under my nails even more off the nails, trim mostly in (ends keep popping out).

By the way, the green stripped cushion covers were the first covers I ever sewed, convinced me I love doing upholstery work (later recovered (in both meanings of the word) their six dining chairs.

Also got the emergency brake cables into the handle, though have yet to figure out how to get the rod with button back in (now popped out twice) and was time to go to lunch (the aforementioned friend treated me).

I did take the opportunity to pull one drum (nut finger tight with this in mind) and check the axle seals, not leaking.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Is it not sometimes the little big things that feel good?

Donald took me to welding supply, and it turns out they no longer sell tanks and only rent the large ones, requiring about $600 deposit.  Shocked  Meaning, I am fortunate to have a small tank, can get the welding done now. The smaller size has the advantage will fit any vehicle unlike the next size up.

Went to Harbor Fright, turns out clearing out the cylinder hones and had to go past where we were to the other side of Mesa, consuming an hour. Picked up welding clamps (expect them to be garbage though don't know how often needed), picks (because $.99 cents versus almost $2.00 and down to one), and a digital scale.

Oh and probably no work tomorrow, FedEx yet again delivered to the wrong address. Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 50

Jump to: