Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Other than tire rotation and periodic brake caliper pin lubrication, what service does Tesla call for?

um, water leaks, door handle issues, ADAS calibrations, module replacements I mean the list goes on dude. shit breaks on daily drivers. but when you have a base model golf cart like yourself I suppose there isn't much to break, but when it does it won't be cheap.

Quote:
Are we talking warranty claims? Alrighty then! I'm sure eurocarskilz will become a factory authorized warranty service centre. And gouge his customers.

just fair market value plus 10% for the big guy

I run a business, not a soup kitchen. I charge what I charge because by the time I see a car, it's been everywhere "trying to save money" so I have to un-fuck it before I can fix the original problem.

I'd rather have fewer high end clients than 10k low end bottom feeders. When I got into this trade in 1995, trained by GM in '96-'97 and worked for them until '99 when I realized the real money was in eurotrash. You won't get a Buick owner to spend Volvo/Audi/BMW money. Just like you won't get a Nissan owner to spend Tesla money.

everyone I deal with gets treated fairly and leaves with a repair that is RIGHT the FIRST time. In the rare occasion I have a comeback it's due to a defective part and that gets top priority. That said, I haven't had a comeback since I left the dealer

EDIT

Not true. Had squeaky brakes and had to warranty a set of pads

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Culture gap. Here we say out of warranty repair. Repairs for short.

Service is doing oil changes.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
The charging stations at work tell me how much I charge, and I know how much I drive. The base model Leaf doesn't give you that in a gui. (ETA: it does give you efficiency expressed as kWh/mile but I never looked at it.)

Typical round trip of 40 miles is 12kWh. OW is 6kWh. The outliers are more or less.

Here's a pdf with data (you'll have to trust me on the miles driven):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mrbGZiwRPL5Osn3kicrsLgo8YoaArjK1/view?usp=sharing

P.S. efficiency is everything.

Aaah, you're using a ChargePoint station at work. So that's how you get it so cheap! The company that owns the charging station can charge whatever they want per kWh (they can even, and sometimes do, make it "free" if they want). They just have to pay ChargePoint a commission for using the station, and also pay the electric bill, of course.

Ok, so from your point of view, you are getting 12 kWh of juice for a buck forty-four, and that gets you the 40 miles to and from work. That's a pretty sweet deal for you, no doubt about it!

But here's what's really going on: 12 kWh went into your Leaf battery, but more like 14 kWh went through the charging station. To get 14 kWh to the charging station, about 16 kWh were generated at the power plant, which required about 23 kWh of fuel (probably coal) to generate it. The company you work for then paid the electric company for those 23 kWh, which probably cost them somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.50. That's assuming 14 cents per kWh, plus standard Customer and Energy Use surcharges. "Customer Charges" and "Energy Use Charges" is code for, "you think you used 14 kWh, but you really used a lot more than that, and we're not givin' you nuthin' for free". Different electric companies have different names for these surcharges, but they all amount to the same thing.

$2.50 to go 40 miles is still pretty good though, regardless of who actually had to pay for it. But that's only if you're paying 14 cents for a kWh. Go ask the people in Connecticut, or California, or Hawaii how much they pay for a kWh, and see if they think 14 kWh of electricity to go 40 miles is still worth it!

One other thing: you're right when you say efficiency is everything. But I noticed that the Nissan Leaf loses A LOT of efficiency when driving on the highway compared to driving in the city (180 Wh/mile city vs. 290 Wh/mile highway). I assume this is because electric motors produce max torque at zero RPM, so maybe they're happiest in stop-and-go traffic. I was very surprised by this, seeing as how the exact opposite is true for ICE.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

By the way, just to put this in a proper perspective, I use about 12 kWh of electricity on average every day at my house. If I had an electric car that used 12 to 14 kWh to get me to and from work, that would be the same amount of electricity that I use in my entire house every day.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
By the way, just to put this in a proper perspective, I use about 12 kWh of electricity on average every day at my house. If I had an electric car that used 12 to 14 kWh to get me to and from work, that would be the same amount of electricity that I use in my entire house every day

That’s covered above upthread

Average house uses 30 kwhr per day.

Average EV commute is 10 kWhr per day.

The point being the grid isn’t overwhelmed by EV charging as it can be done off peak at night.

12 kwhr per day is extraordinarily low...well done. That’s greener than any EV !
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
I assume this is because electric motors produce max torque at zero RPM, so maybe they're happiest in stop-and-go traffic. I was very surprised by this, seeing as how the exact opposite is true for ICE.

This blanket statement is not entirely true. Diesel engines are more efficient at light loads than gasoline engines. The same is true for propane. Both will idle all night without a noticeable change on the fuel gauge. A gasoline engine will use a half of a tank overnight. (Yes this is done at low temps and high wind chills in this part of the world.)

My Buddy bought a diesel Rabbit back in '75 and religiously logged every tank of fuel. Highway mileage was 60 mpg and around town it was consistently 55 mpg. Running at city speeds without the stops and starts I suspect could have yielded a higher mileage number than all highway.

I too have logged many many tanks of fuel over the years with our TDIs but only about 5% or less of our miles are city so I have not seen that trend.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

Aaah, you're using a ChargePoint station at work. So that's how you get it so cheap! The company that owns the charging station can charge whatever they want per kWh (they can even, and sometimes do, make it "free" if they want). They just have to pay ChargePoint a commission for using the station, and also pay the electric bill, of course.

Ok, so from your point of view, you are getting 12 kWh of juice for a buck forty-four, and that gets you the 40 miles to and from work. That's a pretty sweet deal for you, no doubt about it!

You're so easy...

$0.12/kWh is what I pay AT HOME to Marietta Power and Water whether it's for drying my clothes or charging the car. GA has come a long way since Deliverance. Can you squeal like a pig?*

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At work it's "free". I have to share it with foogin' f150s and other riffraff though:

Floating VW wrote:

But here's what's really going on: 12 kWh went into your Leaf battery, but more like 14 kWh went through the charging station. To get 14 kWh to the charging station, about 16 kWh were generated at the power plant, which required about 23 kWh of fuel (probably coal) to generate it. The company you work for then paid the electric company for those 23 kWh, which probably cost them somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.50. That's assuming 14 cents per kWh, plus standard Customer and Energy Use surcharges. "Customer Charges" and "Energy Use Charges" is code for, "you think you used 14 kWh, but you really used a lot more than that, and we're not givin' you nuthin' for free". Different electric companies have different names for these surcharges, but they all amount to the same thing.

$2.50 to go 40 miles is still pretty good though, regardless of who actually had to pay for it. But that's only if you're paying 14 cents for a kWh. Go ask the people in Connecticut, or California, or Hawaii how much they pay for a kWh, and see if they think 14 kWh of electricity to go 40 miles is still worth it!

Lot to break down here. No idea what my employer pays. I suspect commercial rates are less than domestic. But my employer has a couple hundred solar panels. So technically I'm charging for free (if we discount the capital cost of solar panels).

On the losses at the Charging station. It's just a switch, not a transformer. The car has its own rectifier to charge the batteries. So what it says at the charging station is what I consume. We've already discussed line losses due to resistance.

On the costs in CT , CA or HI, I don't expect anyone to pay more for using electric vehicles than gasoline. Do you?

Floating VW wrote:
One other thing: you're right when you say efficiency is everything. But I noticed that the Nissan Leaf loses A LOT of efficiency when driving on the highway compared to driving in the city (180 Wh/mile city vs. 290 Wh/mile highway). I assume this is because electric motors produce max torque at zero RPM, so maybe they're happiest in stop-and-go traffic. I was very surprised by this, seeing as how the exact opposite is true for ICE.

Yeah baby, you've just hit on the true cost of driving fast! Friction my child. Friction. This affects everyone. Maybe EVs a bit less as they are designed to be slippery. Vanagons not so much. Well that and regenerative braking. You keep forgetting that bit.

Everybody sing!!!

It's fun to be: S M U G... It's fun to be: S M U G... La Da Di Da, La Da Di Da...**

https://www.energysage.com/local-data/electricity-...ta%2C%20GA

**to the tune of Village People's YMCA. crap I can't get that out of my head now.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...

Last edited by steve244 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Wind resistance not friction!

Yes the vast majority of drivers out there have zero comprehension that driving fast costs money. Even with record high fuel prices NO ONE is slowing down! I don't get it! Confused

Enjoy the saving on power for your car while you can. It will change big time and I suspect it will happen in the near future to bring the cost of driving up on par with all other energy sources. The correction has to happen or someone is going to be down on corporate profit. It's just the way the free market system works. Get everyone in at basement bargain prices and then tighten down the screws!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Why is there a power cord going to your Vanagon? Those engine block heaters won't work on an ACVW unless you were lying to me!. Laughing Laughing Laughing
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Wind resistance not friction!

Yes the vast majority of drivers out there have zero comprehension that driving fast costs money. Even with record high fuel prices NO ONE is slowing down! I don't get it! Confused

Enjoy the saving on power for your car while you can. It will change big time and I suspect it will happen in the near future to bring the cost of driving up on par with all other energy sources. The correction has to happen or someone is going to be down on corporate profit. It's just the way the free market system works. Get everyone in at basement bargain prices and then tighten down the screws!

sheesh. WIND RESISTANCE IS FRICTION.

Energy isn't subsidized in this state. Unless you count the federal support for nuclear. Plant Vogtle 3 & 4 are costing the taxpayers a pretty penny and bankrupted Westinghouse.

ELECTRIC IS 3 TIMES AS EFFICIENT!!!

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Why is there a power cord going to your Vanagon? Those engine block heaters won't work on an ACVW unless you were lying to me!. Laughing Laughing Laughing

vanagon got jealous and wants its battery charged too.

Link

Last edited by steve244 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There are block heaters for any kind of engine. We have had them for air cooled engines for 60 years here in Canada.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

He meant coolant heater.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

DIY used solar panels for the win! But maybe not as rates do seem to go up when usage goes down. Would have to cut the cord 100% at some point.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Young man, there’s a place you camp

You can charge there, when you your low on your amps

You don’t need…no…stinky….fossil fuels…

Charge charge charge charge charge!

It’s fun to post on the S….M..B…A

And watch all the Nabobs go ape

It’s a beautiful thing , the electric bling…it will make you …..happy
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Another victim of obsessive mind tunes...

It's going to take days to get over it.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I get those obsessive mind tunes quite frequently. Lately its been Green River and since my all-time favorite band is CCR its a good one.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
. . . The point being the grid isn’t overwhelmed by EV charging as it can be done off peak at night.

12 kwhr per day is extraordinarily low...well done. That’s greener than any EV !

Thanks, man. My absolute best so far was during the month of October in 2021. I averaged 9.1 kWh per day. What is everyone else doing that they need so much power?

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that this would overload the grid (that's a different subject, entirely). I just wanted to put an actual face on what 10 or 12 kWh is.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Abscate wrote:
. . . The point being the grid isn’t overwhelmed by EV charging as it can be done off peak at night.

Thanks, man. My absolute best so far was during the month of October in 2021. I averaged 9.1 kWh per day. What is everyone else doing that they need so much power?

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that this would overload the grid (that's a different subject, entirely). I just wanted to put an actual face on what 10 or 12 kWh is.

Propers to you Floating VW. Well done Applause
How long to charge your phone on that? I really need to do better Wink Embarassed

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I only use about 6 to 7 Kw per day. Went down a lot when I switched to all LED
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Abscate wrote:

What sort of expression does 33.5 kWh have?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 235

Jump to: