Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering coupler install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

I replaced the coupler with the Dorman coupler and I am still running it today.

Did your Dorman coupler look like the above(slightly undersized)

Thanks

Yes it does.

I didn't install the spacers, like with the factory rag joint.
Like I said above. Been running it for a number of years, without issues.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Installed a urethane coupler on my 67(that long on jackstands) about 20yrs ago. Getting close to getting it back on the road and several folks have suggested that I replace it with a rubber coupler. I picked one up at Oriellys for a 67 and the bolt pattern is a tad smaller. It will go on if I force it with some effort while the urethane coupler was a perfect fit. I’m concerned that the rubber coupler would fail prematurely due to the added stress of being stretched to fit.
Is this normal?

Thanks

I used the same 31002 Dorman one that your posted. It fits just fine for me. I used the bushings out of my old one for two of the bolts (steering box side) and used the supplied long bolts with build in spacers for the other two (steering wheel side). Fits just fine.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Some joints have an issue with 6V beetle.

Their holes are internally electrically connected.

So the horn is continuosly on.
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

I am putting my bug back together and going as high quality of parts as I can where they are needed, steering is one of them.

Here a part from Cip1 that claims to have the internal fibers.

https://www2.cip1.com/c33-b45765/ and from the "manufacture's" site. https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-beetle/beet...hia_13602/

For what it's worth.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
you won't be sorry using the rubber plied one. Another 'safety' feature I added in case the joint breaks. Longer mounting bolts mounted towards each other. US cars do it. If you have short bolts and the joint breaks the steering wheel will just spin freely. This causes the upholstery to pucker. If longer bolts are used the extended ends 'interfere' with each other and you will have some steering control until you can stop.

Never had a bug coupling break on me at speed but a F150 truck did and I was impressed that I had some control to keep from going in the ditch or oncoming traffic til I stopped.

I'm not sure I understand what the bit about longer bolts is trying to say. Can someone explain this in some more detail?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

I did a search and found this link to a steering coupler with fibers binding the layers together. Has anyone tried this part from PartsGeek?
https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=111415417

lojoma wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what the bit about longer bolts is trying to say. Can someone explain this in some more detail?

The concern with low quality couplers is they will come apart or crack basically disconnecting the steering wheel shaft from the steering box. The steering box connects to two opposing holes in the coupler. The steering shaft connects to the other two holes. You can see this in the pic below (steering shaft on the right, steering box on the left):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This means if the coupler breaks there is no definite connection between the steering wheel/shaft and the steering box and you would loose steering control... very bad if this happens at speed.

Looking at the above pic and imagine that the two bolts connecting the steering shaft to the coupler were extra long and extended further to the left. If the coupler were to crack the extra long bolts could still make steering inputs you would just need to turn the wheel an extra 90-180deg in either direction until the long bolts make contact with the steering box flange and apply pressure to rotate the flange. Not definite steering control but not 100% loss of steering.
If the coupler were to completely disintegrate you would likely still be screwed, but as long as the coupler kept the two partially linked to prevent the shaft from dropping below the steering box you could still maintain some control long enough to slow down and pull off to the side of the road.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

I used this one:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6213.htm
Very nice and doesn’t conduct like some others.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
I did a search and found this link to a steering coupler with fibers binding the layers together. Has anyone tried this part from PartsGeek?
https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=111415417

No haven’t used that one but the 31002 Dorman that I used, has fibers binding the layers. Comes with long bolts and was locally available at O’Reilly’s.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: