Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear body mount rust repair
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

Over the last few months I have started some rust repair on my 65'. I thought I would post a few pics of how I did it in case it could help someone out. First the replacement rear body mount panels (wheel well) suck. The metal is thinner and the body mount anchor is not reinforced like the stock version. So I decided to repair what I have.

The metal behind the anchor (mount) was super rusted. I used an air chisel and took off the mount without drilling out any spot welds. I then cut out the old metal with a cut off wheel. There is another piece of metal behind the metal that the mount welds to. So in all I replaced two pieces of metal for the mount (anchor) to weld too. After this was done I had to grind down the old spots welds on the mount so I can fit it to the new pieces I put in. Then I drilled some spot weld holes into the mount.

VW put these cars together in layers (like a onion). So when cutting out metal you are not replacing one piece, you will be replacing multiple pieces that overlap.

I am not a welder or body man. I do not pretend to be. This is a daily driver for me so it will suffice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

some square rubber pads fit into the bottom of that bracket. You might need to grind it out some so those pads fit in there
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

You have to get that mount brace EXACTLY in the right spot. If not the door gets REALLY STICKY!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
some square rubber pads fit into the bottom of that bracket. You might need to grind it out some so those pads fit in there

The pads actually go under the bottom of the bracket since it is the mounting point to the chassis.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
You have to get that mount brace EXACTLY in the right spot. If not the door gets REALLY STICKY!

Correct. That is why I took measurements before and after.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

Weld thru primer is highly recommended between the mount and body. Had VW used the weld thru primer there, many cases of rust at that location would be minimized

Water will get between the two parts, paint alone is not a good chaulking, it will fail. A caulking material around all the edges can prevent water ingress.

suggest weld thru primer and chaulking for longest lasting repair.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Weld thru primer is highly recommended between the mount and body. Had VW used the weld thru primer there, many cases of rust at that location would be minimized

Water will get between the two parts, paint alone is not a good chaulking, it will fail. A caulking material around all the edges can prevent water ingress.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used cold galvanizing paint to cover it for now. When I get the rest of the rust taken care of everything will be seam sealed.

I will definitely get some weld thru primer.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I used cold galvanizing paint to cover it for now. When I get the rest of the rust taken care of everything will be seam sealed.

What you can do, what I have done sometimes too, is use aerosol paint back there after welding. You can put spray straws from a carb cleaner or wd40 aerosol on the spray paint aerosol you can swap the nozzles. the straws can even be squished with pliers to give a fan shaped spray or to get into real skinny locations. I used this technic and it can be effective. aerosol paint is very thin, and with the straw you can direct it right into the seams, do it from the top and allow to run out, wipe up excess. then spray from every direct you can from every gap. allow to dry days, or speed up with a lamp, not too hot! You want fully cured paint before applying a water proof urethane body sealer on the seam

To get maximum and free flowing paint, I heat the aerosol cans in warm water before use, specially important in the winter when can has been kept in an unheated garage. you want warm (NOT HOT) spray paint can .
There are several styles of nozzles and cans not all can swap. some straw maybe a tad to big to fit a given nozzle, so whittle the straw down in diameter with sand paper or a knife to fit.

when you buy the paint, open the cap and make sure it uses the same style noozle fitting as your straw nozzles are.
I use this method in addition to weld thru primer, It should be very effective verses bare metal.

Paint it.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear body mount rust repair Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

What you can do, what I have done sometimes too, is use aerosol paint back there after welding. You can put spray straws from a carb cleaner or wd40 aerosol on the spray paint aerosol you can swap the nozzles. the straws can even be squished with pliers to give a fan shaped spray or to get into real skinny locations. I used this technic and it can be effective. aerosol paint is very thin, and with the straw you can direct it right into the seams, do it from the top and allow to run out, wipe up excess. then spray from every direct you can from every gap. allow to dry days, or speed up with a lamp, not too hot! You want fully cured paint before applying a water proof urethane body sealer on the seam

To get maximum and free flowing paint, I heat the aerosol cans in warm water before use, specially important in the winter when can has been kept in an unheated garage. you want warm (NOT HOT) spray paint can .
There are several styles of nozzles and cans not all can swap. some straw maybe a tad to big to fit a given nozzle, so whittle the straw down in diameter with sand paper or a knife to fit.

when you buy the paint, open the cap and make sure it uses the same style noozle fitting as your straw nozzles are.
I use this method in addition to weld thru primer, It should be very effective verses bare metal.

Paint it.

Thanks a ton for the great info! This should be a sticky somewhere. Take care.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: