Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

There are ethical standards that an attorney must comply with if he wishes to continue to practice law. No real attorney is going to commit fraud in a vehicle sale and risk disbarment.

Last edited by DeathRay64 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Perhaps if the seller sends the "buyer" $400 in Walmart gift cards the whole problem will disappear.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

What are the guys damages? Did he arrange for shipping or something like that? My only concern here is that I don’t think that the state of FL needs another VW kit car so hopefully this deal just goes away for you. 😂

Air Cooleds Only wrote:
Hey guys. I have a guy in Florida trying to legally threaten me into selling him my VW kit car.

Facts:

Me and the car are in AZ

He's a FL attorney and he's a real person.

I signed a Florida bill of sale

I asked for a deposit, however there's been NO money transferred or timeline/info to do so.

I told him I wanted to back out of deal because I found a buyer who will meet my terms.

Now he's upset and threating me saying I'm locked into the deal and I have to sell it to him and he will take me to court for damages if I don't follow through.

Very weird deal, if anyone has some USEFULL INSIGHT please help.
Thank You
Chris
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Good point, you have to have damages to sue for damages. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Good point, you have to have show damages to sue win damages. Cool

FTFY

Laughing

OP…I am not a lawyer but I’m not sure if that “contract” would be considered executed in FL or AZ , I don’t think who published it determines that. It’s probably where you signed it.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Nope, that is not how contract law works.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Ok, what would be the result then if you win?

Are you having to pay out money as a penalty alone without showing any loss?
If so, how is that determined or is it simply up to the judge to assign some random(?) amount?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

ignore the bastard, if he really wants you car he will pay.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

If so, how is that determined or is it simply up to the judge to assign some random(?) amount?

You seem to be focused on actual damages. We are not talking about awarding damages here. The correct term would be remedy; this is a breach of contract issue. Breach remedies are not limited to monetary compensation of actual damages; remedies can include specific performance (making the breaching party hold his end of the bargain) or even, depending on the jurisdiction, a statutory (meaning set in law) amount based upon the nature and value of the agreement. Remember Ealon Musk and Twitter? The court was asked to consider making him buy the company; that is an example of specific performance. Of course, it never came to that because he bought the company and fulfilled his end of the bargain. You think he would have paid $44 Billion if his lawyers had seen a way out?

As I said in my earlier post in this thread, every case turns on details and without a looking at the details, without going over all communications parties have had, without examining the verbiage, without looking at local statutes, no one can say what the remedy would be.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Can I ask what kind of kit and the agreed to sales price?

Only asking because I doubt any Attorney would buy a kit (like the ones I have bought which were barely completed and really not worth much) and would go forward with a suit in a different state.

Not many kits are worth that amount of effort.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

So the buyer is a real person....but are they a real lawyer??

https://www.lawyerlegion.com/associations/state-bar/florida
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

You seem to be focused on actual damages. We are not talking about awarding damages here. The correct term would be remedy; this is a breach of contract issue. Breach remedies are not limited to monetary compensation of actual damages; remedies can include specific performance (making the breaching party hold his end of the bargain) or even, depending on the jurisdiction, a statutory (meaning set in law) amount based upon the nature and value of the agreement. Remember Ealon Musk and Twitter? The court was asked to consider making him buy the company; that is an example of specific performance. Of course, it never came to that because he bought the company and fulfilled his end of the bargain. You think he would have paid $44 Billion if his lawyers had seen a way out?

As I said in my earlier post in this thread, every case turns on details and without a looking at the details, without going over all communications parties have had, without examining the verbiage, without looking at local statutes, no one can say what the remedy would be.

Ok, got it, thank you.

It's weird to me to use the term "damages" (quote below) instead if saying something to the effect of "I will enforce the contract we have made" but I understand what you are saying.

Quote:
he will take me to court for damages

vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

judge could order specific performance.

OOPS...missed someone already mentioned that..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

We are just parsing the vernacular vs the accurate legal terms here.

I would be interested to know what is the venue for a contract signed by two parties in two different states if the applicable law isn’t stated

My guess is the drafter of the contract is obligated to clarify so who ever wrote it has to do defer to the other signer.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I would be interested to know what is the venue for a contract signed by two parties in two different states if the applicable law isn’t stated

You are asking about Jurisdiction.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Correct. Since the bill of sale doesn’t specify applicable jurisdiction my non-lawyer guess is it defaults to the state where the property is located as the subject in dispute

So getting back to OP, it might have nothing to do FL law but in fact be AZ Law

IANAL
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

With Covid etc going on and the courts being backed up, the judge would order the case to mediation and let them work it out. This according to my son who will be graduating from law school in May and just finished clerking for a circuit court judge.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know Florida Contract Law regarding Selling a Vehicle Reply with quote

Glad you worked it out. Looking back over this thread, it appears you signed a notice to the state of FL that you were not the legal owner of the vehicle any more. The court would have asked you why you didn't consider yourself the legal owner anymore when you signed it but yet are now claiming that was an error. That said, any transfer without compensation of some kind is a gift.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: