Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you use your home efficiency?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Mr Vanderbilt your car is ready.

Oops doxxed.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

I think glenn is trying to pull another scam..... Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I think glenn is trying to pull another scam..... Wink

You can put a lot of trailers on the property

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

The only reason a guy would build Big House Is,,,,so he can Hide from the bitchie O'lady Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

I'll play

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

House to the left, hangar/air strip to the right

2800 sqft house built in the end of 08. 3 bed/3 bathroom house, but could be 5 bedrooms pretty easily.

Blew my wad on insulation, whole house is spray foam, wrapped in 1/4", foundation/floor in 2" Styrofoam panels.

We use pretty much all of it, the "bonus room" is basically a walk in attic but it's 95% finished.

Basement was poured to 11' as I recall, so it could be finished with a drop ceiling to hide the mechanicals and not bang your head on anything.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
oprn wrote:

Our home is a very modest 1.5 story 1000 sq. ft. older farm house with 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, Kitchen/dining room, living room and family room.

This can't be correct? 1,000 sq ft?

Yes, the whole house consists of tiny rooms, basement completely finished and two bedrooms in the attic. I have considered opening up the two bedrooms on the main floor and making one because once you get a double bed in either one there is hardly room for a dresser. The ground floor bathroom is actually a combined laundry room and back entry with a toilet in one corner and sliding doors for privacy. It used to be two separate areas that were so small you had to go out into the kitchen to turn around, but I opened it up.

Last edited by oprn on Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

My aunt and uncle were in a 500 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home with 5 children for some years (the oldest lived in an adjacent small outbuilding and ate with the family) while my uncle built a new house. The new one was 3500 sq. ft. 4 level split with 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 furnaces, 2 hot water heaters and an attached garage. By the time they moved in the first son was gone. In the next 8 or so years saw the rest of the family off on their own and they spent the next 25 years shutting down furnaces and boarding up unused rooms to get utility costs down.

I have seen this scenario played out over and over in the past. Life seems backward, by the time we can afford a nice home we don't need it and it just becomes a burden!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

It’s the equity driven housing market. No one wants to loan 100k mortgages , not enough profit to skim. Instead of building reasonable houses for needs , we build for Wall Street and then convince people 3500 square feet is normal.

We had 8-9 people raised in 2000 square feet , then downsized for retirement
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

It's land prices and zoning.

A 1/4 acre lot in Marietta costs $400,000. No one is going to buy a small home and pay $550,000 when they could buy a McMansion for $650,000.

As much as I like my house, it's a waste of space. They should have torn it down in the 90s and built cheap townhomes. Zoning prevents that.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

The McMansion developments are popping up everywhere. Beautiful big houses with no property and a HOA. No trailers or old beetles sitting in the driveway. But, most of those houses are very impressive inside. And great if you got little kids. Not for me.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

2700 sq.ft. two-level 100+-year-old house with unfinished basement and barely any insulation.
Gas furnace ducted to most of the rooms except one upstairs guest bedroom and an addition on the back of the house. The guest room as an electric fireplace, the addition has a gas fireplace plus electric baseboard and we have a wood burner in the living room for extra comfort/ambiance.

There are only two of us full time but I feel it's important to heat all the rooms to prevent mold etc. The only rooms we don't use regularly are the two guest bedrooms and guest bath.

Our heating costs are about the same in peak winter, and much lower in spring and fall, than our previous 1200 sq. ft. townhouse that was heated solely with electric baseboard.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

1949 house we have owned for 40 years.
Originally it was 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath and 1300 sq feet. No insulation at all.
When we started having kids we added a second story with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. The house is now 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms (2 full, 1 half and one 3/4). 2400 Sq feet.
Insulation on the 2nd floor was R19 in the walls and R30 in the ceiling. We were able to retrofit about half of the first story with R11.
This all was very comfortable with 3 kids, family visits, 2 dogs and 2+ cats.

With just two of us here (and all of our "kids" living out of state) it is way too much. We use one bedroom and one bath upstairs, one downstairs bedroom is the office. But we love it here and do not plan to move.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Now in an 1832 1900 sf house with limited insulation, 2 unheated sheds, and a good sized barn. House is post and beam, clapboard over 2" plank sheathing with lath and plaster. The shitty vinyl windows have a better R value than the walls. The house is a bitch to heat, unless I gut it and build into the house to add insulation. Oil fired steam heat with radiators located as far from the outside walls as possible. Have a forced air wood/coal furnace in basement that heats the first floor and keeps the rest of the upstairs tolerable.
When I saw #2 fuel oil at $6 gal in June I bought 6 tons of coal....
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Oil fired steam heat with radiators located as far from the outside walls as possible. Have a forced air wood/coal furnace in basement that heats the first floor and keeps the rest of the upstairs tolerable.
When I saw #2 fuel oil at $6 gal in June I bought 6 tons of coal....

dam. that's hard core. you're in CT too correct?

When we built I knew energy wasn't ever going to be cheap again so I pulled the money gun and shot it at all the stuff that mattered. Kitchens, bathrooms etc will always be "updated" but it's REAL hard to go backwards with insulation/windows etc.

Typical winter here I usually do 1 tank of oil for heat/hot water for the 3 of us. It was about a tank-tank and 1/4 for a while when the kid was young and took baths.

We were able to squeak in 1 extra flue for the chimney, so I do have the option for a woodstove in the basement, but the house is so dam efficient the effort just isn't there....yet.

it was amazing coming from a house built in 1930 with a stone foundation despite the stones being chinked the basement was always a bit drafty. that house was an 1100 sqft cape and really ate a lot of oil. That had a pretty cool central fireplace with blowers and was well worth burning wood there. Great house, but don't miss it and if I ever move (I'd probably build again) I'd be hard pressed to move into something NOT spray foamed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Yeah, Ct, close to the sound.

The plan has always been to gradually redo the exterior walls from the plank in, put in half inch continous rigid insulation on the sheathing and build 2x4 interior stud furring filled with closed cell spray foam, and putting in hot water heat. It also means redoing all the window and door casings, jamb extensions and baseboard.
Contractor bids right now say I can buy a lot of coal and not live in a construction site.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Our place was built in 1984, we bought in '95, 3.5 acres, 2000 sqft, 3 bed, 2 bath, faces South, built into the hill, super insulated, we burn about 4 cords of wood a year, if it's sunny in the Winter, we don't feed the fire until nighttime, otherwise it gets up to 80-85 degrees upstairs, the downstairs is fully finished living space, where the wood stove is, we have a Gas hot air backup system, but hardly ever use it. We have a Tesla battery for backup power.
12 solar electric panels & 2 solar hot water.
We use about 65% of the house, the kids have long moved away, the wife wants to build a handicapped accessible house in our back field for us, for when we are old and drooling in our oatmeal, which for me feels like it's getting closer everyday!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Just add a hoist to the 2nd level to haul your ass up. A 12V electric winch will do the trick.

Cool setup. Did you do all the wiring plumbing?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Just add a hoist to the 2nd level to haul your ass up. A 12V electric winch will do the trick.

Cool setup. Did you do all the wiring plumbing?

We did look into a lift; it would be cheaper than building a new house, I really don't want to move out back, or mainly, I don't want to rent this place out to strangers, my hope is to move from here to the graveyard......
The place is awesome, big back field, plenty of space for cars/trucks, 3/10ths of a mile to the tar roads, about $4300 a year in taxes.
We did not do the upgrades, we wired the garage, but all the rest was done by pro's.

We had the garage built right after we bought the house.

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

Very nice.

Did you have a hard time rationalizing the cost of solar?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Home use efficiency Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Very nice.

Did you have a hard time rationalizing the cost of solar?

No, it was $$ from my mothers-in-law's estate when she passed on, she was very frugal and big on alternative energy, my wife thought it would be a good way to honor her.

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: