Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSV moves up and down slightly
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

So the CSV rubber around the wires has disintegrated, I used electrical tape to replace the rubber.
The plastic connector has no obvious damage.

The CSV does not seem to be snug in the port. It moves up and down about a third of an inch when I move the hoses.

I know there is a gasket but is there a seal or something as well?

Would a bad gasket be causing the movement?
What else could it be?

The idle is pretty good for about 3 minutes after start but then she shuts off after warming up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

I see I need to move the clamp on one hose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Quote:
about a third of an inch
if you are saying that the plastic part of the CSV moves about 1/3" compared to the metal part, I would not trust it. When new they barely wiggle. If the plastic breaks free you could have a terrible fire. Also use a clamp with rounded edges and not the straight edge kind you get at a FLAPS. You can also get replacement rubber boots from NAPA and other places.

New ones are near impossible to find. Some folks have made work arounds with other model CSV that are similar. A new D-jet CSV is on Ebay for like $450 these days. Some people bypass them so they aren't even connected. They are still able to start.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

What is the bypass process?
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Grand!

The gasket is shot.

The injector seem pretty solid.

Cleanup time!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

where is that gasket from? Was it inside the injector or between the injector and plenum?

If it was between the injector and plenum the bolts must have been loose to get 1/3 inch play. The gasket under the CSV is 022-133-075A
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Yes, the bolts did seem loose.
I’m so stoked!
Going to get fuel-pro gasket sheet now🤗
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
Yes, the bolts did seem loose.
I’m so stoked!
Going to get fuel-pro gasket sheet now🤗

what city are you in?
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

After installing a new gasket at plenum post and getting that bastard lower screw tightened, I am almost running smooth. But still a tiny hiccup after idling for many minutes now instead of one or two minutes.
Is there a gasket inside of the Cold Start Valve.
I cleaned it as well as possible, is there a way to clean it better?

Thank you
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
After installing a new gasket at plenum post and getting that bastard lower screw tightened, I am almost running smooth. But still a tiny hiccup after idling for many minutes now instead of one or two minutes.
Is there a gasket inside of the Cold Start Valve.
I cleaned it as well as possible, is there a way to clean it better?

Thank you

it is only on for a few seconds when you start cold. Did you test the TS2 and also make sure the threads were not corroded?

An occasional hiccup can also be a little water in the fuel tank. If so add a fuel dryer from your flaps to the fuel. It will soak up the water and add it to be burned with the fuel. Typically a high percentage alcohol is in them but they don't cost much. Look for a product named something like Heet.

Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

I cleaned the bolts but yes the screw holes looked dirty. Didn’t clean them.
Bought the Heet.
But while idling the only idle chand I noticed was when I moved the Decel valve to intake elbow. I’m going out again and check but the metal attacher hose ringy dingy seemed loose.

May need a new boot. I have silicone for a temp fix.

Do I have to wait the 24hrs to set before I turn on and test it?

Probably 😤
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

there is a groove in the S-boot if I recall that the metal pipe of pipe sits down into.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that groove for the first time tonight.
There is a small sliver of the boot plastic crossing the groove.

Is the S Boot supposed to be soft?
Mine is inflexible, I think Robbie had mentioned it in my earlier post.

It’s probably a good idea just to order a new boot.

Now I’m thinking about Robbie’s comment about dropping the engine may be a good idea, I’ve learned so much as of late and realize how important it all is. I’m tired of the hackery I’ve done in there.

First I want to sell my fiberglass top and luggage rack so I can do it properly though.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: CSV moves up and down slightly Reply with quote

Hmmm, should I remove my boot clean it well, fix the small plastic strip? I didn’t know the ridge of the metal fit into the boot crack but it makes sense why it leaks. Maybe I don’t need a new boot, it has never been a problem in the past.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: