Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro parking lights question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

Dear fellow Sambanistas,

Do Euro spec cars have front parking lights? I know there is no separate bulb in the headlight bucket like US models. Does that mean the turn signal on top of the fender is a dual filament bulb? Or are there parking lights only for the rear?

Have never seen one in person.

Thank you!
S.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

As far as I know, all Euro spec Beetles have parking lights. Both my `59 and `66 Euro spec Beetles have the small bulb that sits right in front of the headlight.. The only parking light difference in 1966 Beetles is that when the headlight switch is pulled all the way out the parking light stays on with the Euro spec Beetles. On the US cars, the parking light goes off when the switch is pulled all the way out.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

Euro headlights were not the sealed beam type. They had a "city light" or parking light built into the main reflector, something like these later conversion types:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

Seb67 wrote:
Do Euro spec cars have front parking lights? I know there is no separate bulb in the headlight bucket like US models. Does that mean the turn signal on top of the fender is a dual filament bulb? Or are there parking lights only for the rear?

I spot checked many of the older wiring diagrams and see the parking light as part of the headlight assembly or as a city light in the headlight housing going back into the '50s. Even for the non-US spec models.

It wasn't until the '67 Beetle model year that VW moved the parking lights to the top of the fender as a dual-filament turn signal + parking light. It actually looks like the Euro spec '67 was still using the '66-earlier headlights and so the parking light was still in the headlight housing.

Can you post a pic of a Euro spec early headlight assembly w/o the parking light?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

Thanks for replies so far. Can you show me in this photo, where the parking light is?

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's on that version. That looks like a screw-in bulb, not a bayonet. But the retouching makes it hard to make out.

Clearer in these photos of the bayonet style:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581904

Yet another style:
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

For the Euro headligts the parking light (ba9s bulb used) was in the reflector.

For the original tilted/ pre-67 headligts the ba9s bulb holder usually was part of the high/low beam bulb holder. Before 1961 the high/low beam bulb was ba20d (bayonete) and the low beam symmetric. After it the bulb used was P45T and the low beam asymmetric (replaced in the 70's with H4, P43t).

In the US headlights you can fit "universal 7" euro reflectors (reflector and glass in one unit/ separate bulb as above). Today usually for a H4 = P43T bulb, but there were also a P45T version. If the H4 are fitted for parking lights, the ba9s usually are in a separate bulb holder in the reflector.

The photo of the headlights in the post above is a coctail of different parts. VW US version headlight bucket, porsche 911 H4 glass and reflector are (?) possible 7" H4 with the fluted H4 glass removed?

50's Euro headlight assembly

Bulbs used (high/ low beam)

from the left:
-BA20d (for me this is the BA= bayonet, two locking pins for push in and twist to lock)
-P45t
-P45t halogen (aftermarket)
-P43t "H4" (here fitted with a yellow cover)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Euro parking lights question Reply with quote

That makes much more sense. I think I understand now.

Tack så mycket!

I love the Samba VW Logo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: