Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Heheh, right. Took me TWO/DUE/DOS tanks of gas to get that quarter panel on the '74 right enough to get Duraglass on it. That's a lot of welding and grinding!

As for this guy, I knocked out another item on the long-running punch list w/the help of the younger of my two descendants. Replaced this bent/warped passenger side bracket w/a straight original...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now the hood opens evenly...

and closes w/a very nice line on the cowl. Woohoo!

Sorry for quoting the entire post but I was too lazy to edit down to the side pic of the hood. I'd love suggestion as to how you got the hood gap so perfect. Mine is easily twice that wide. I tried fiddling with it one day with ZERO change in the gap so went on to other things but that's the hood gap I want.

H2OSB
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

H20, I adjusted it by loosening up the bolts that hold it to the hinges, then sliding it slightly back or forwards depending on how it sat when closed. Did that until I got it right. I did have a helper. Also, make sure you have a pull cable or some way of opening the hood w/out the button, because it can end up getting stuck shut w/just the "right" amount of shift.

Mine originally sat high on the passenger side because of the bend in the old hinge. The good hinge allowed it to sit at the correct height, that driver side was already good.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

No glam shots yet..this is the I95 corridor south after all. Unless you're fascinated by Jesus, South-of-the-Boder and Adult Superstore billboards - which apparently are all a thing in South Carolina along the highway....

There was this quick shot as I headed south in VA,

And my travel buddy, Ginger.

Car did great 70 all the way from the NC border to Altamonte springs FL. About 850 miles all told, 14 hours with stops. Haven't calculated mpg yet. Today the rest of the trip to Miami, I'll get some decent shots down there.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Beautiful sunrise. Perfect sized co-pilot for a road trip. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

She's awesome. Btw, oil temps at 185-90 after each highway run

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

This is a as close to glam shot as I've gotten yet. Coconut Grove today around 1:30 pm, that's one of those ancient ficus trees we have down here. Or is it a banyon...I should know..anyway.

No trip to Miami would be complete w/out the requisite Tsunami. (Note I accidentally saved the video in slow motion...but you get the picture.)

Link

All in, about 1,100 miles. I'll throw some MPG guesstimates of GPS vs rebuilt factory speedo. BIG DIFFERENCES.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I don’t get it. Why is there water on your front windshield? Never seen water on a car before, except for washing them!

Just kidding. That is some serious water!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Here's how this old rebuilt speedo compares to the GPS. I edited the GPS to match the speedo to start:

STARTING MILEAGE BOTH: 21,563.1
Ending GPS: 22,655.21
Ending Speedo: 22,580.4
Difference: 74.81

Not as bad as I thought - 1.00331 GPS miles for every Speedo mile. Still, adds up over time. The old speedo (odometer stopped turning back in February) was recording .9 miles for every GPS mile.

During the first stretch in VA - about 180 miles - I kept it at 65MPH and averaged 29.25 MPG.
At 70-75 the rest of the way to Miami, 25.42 MPG.

[EDIT] Btw, I had to add 3/4 quart of oil after the 850 mile leg of the trip. No change in level after completing the trip. And oil temps were always a perfect 180-195 or so, hard to tell precisely on the thermometer dip stick other than that it never reaches 200. Tires were all abou 4lbs low after 850 which was weird.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
This is a as close to glam shot as I've gotten yet. Coconut Grove...

Beautiful Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Monster rainstorm last night out in west Miami. I felt like the guy driving the VW into the lake in the early 70's TV commercial. Note to the wise - I should have just crawled thru this because my dash brake warning light lit up while taking this video. Haven't checked this morning so I'm not sure if that was a temporary thing or if I damaged the MC switches by driving too quickly thru the swamp.

Link

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Btw, a couple of days ago I was troubleshooting a possible vacuum leak, as I'm getting a slight surging up and down of RPMs at idle. Not a lot, maybe 200 RPM or so just gaging by the sound. I haven't found any leaks checking carb throttle links and base, carb mounting nuts are tight, throttle plate is adjusted properly, no leaks detected at intake boots or manifold-to-head. I used carb cleaner to check because, well, it's what I have here.

However, a couple of weeks back I discovered that my '72 oil bath air filter had "jumped" off of the carb, probably hitting a neighborhood speed bump too hard or something. I put it back in place, tightened enough to hopefully not have that happen again. And I likely missed this at the time and only discovered it while checking for vacuum leaks 2 days ago. I'm *guessing* that whatever bump dislodged the oil bath, it then came down hard and awkwardly off-centered on the carb top. Hopefully the piece fell in the engine bay or got blown out the exhaust valves w/out destroying an intake valve...but I'm concerned because of the surging. Engine sounds and runs fine except for this. Rings I'm thinking were spared because I'm not smoking oil or experiencing any loss of power.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Your next build should be a baja Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Your next build should be a baja Wink

Trust me, I've thought of it, but more along the lines of what TCDTDI has done w/his GHIAPet replacement Bug, more of a Class 11 style. But man them are some serious fab skills involved!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Began the trip back to VA today. Made it 751 miles to Lumberton NC then ran out of steam. 358 to go tomorrow per Waze.

In prep for the trip, yesterday I checked oil and for the fun of it pulled a spark plug. Whattaya think....?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Began the trip back to VA today. Made it 751 miles to Lumberton NC then ran out of steam. 358 to go tomorrow per Waze.

In prep for the trip, yesterday I checked oil and for the fun of it pulled a spark plug. Whattaya think....?

Dude that looks lean as fuck.

White is lean. Black is rich. Tan is right on.

p.s. I'm so jealous that you are traveling the world in your bug. Enjoy the drive!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Dude that looks lean as fuck.

White is lean. Black is rich. Tan is right on.

Uh-oh. I just put a lot of miles on it like this. Car runs great, oil temps are good. Open up the volume screw? Or put in a bigger main jet?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Go up 1 step on the main and reset the basics. Then recheck tomorrow morning.

You should really check the valves too. No sense setting basics if the valves are too loose or too tight.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

751 miles, thats like twelve to fourteen. hours non stop!

kudos
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Actually I did it in 12!
I adjusted the carb this morning, opened the volume screw 1/2+ turn then adjusted the idle. Valves will have to wait for VA. Getting 26+ mpg at an average of 68 mph.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Made it the 351+ miles in under 6 hours. Overall on the trip back, the MPG kinda sucked, averaged just over 24. Course I was doing over 70 most of the time.

[EDIT]
Final GPS ODOMETER READING: 23,877.46
Final Speedo Odometer Reading: 23,776.5
1.0042 GPS miles for every Speedo mile.
If I believe the GPS (and my rudimentary math is accurate), my total actual mileage since building the Super is:

Here's what hours and miles look like on a long I-95 drive...

Link

And here's what the same spark plug looked like at the end of the trip after this morning's carb adjustment. Still too lean...? Btw - I'm pretty sure I'm running a 125 main w/a 55 idle jet.

Overall a great trip, though, had a great time w/family in Miami, and always enjoy driving the heck out of the Super...although I'm getting old for these long drives!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 51

Jump to: