Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix hole in dash
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

Hi, "a friend" made a hole in the dash while trying to install a grab handle.
What's the best way to repair this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

The best way is to strip back the paint and weld a piece in...fill and sand, then paint. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but that is the correct way. I am sure people will chime in with some variants.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

I'm also through this. 4 holes in and under the dash, also expanded radio cut out. I only repainted the center section we repaired with a spray can. The inserts and glove box door are original paint.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

Or, if you whish no further body and paint messing, you could "patch it" with some cardboard/plastic thing and cover it with some insignia or otherwise sticker, and call it done. An appropriate period sticker as an example, I mean: unwind window, before closing door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

classicbug wrote:
Hi, "a friend" made a hole in the dash while trying to install a grab handle.
What's the best way to repair this?

The best way would be to have your "friend" fix it.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
Or, if you whish no further body and paint messing, you could "patch it" with some cardboard/plastic thing and cover it with some insignia or otherwise sticker, and call it done. An appropriate period sticker as an example, I mean: unwind window, before closing door.

Good idea. A "Tourist Badge" from Tomi would be perfect. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2453780
They are very thin and you should be able to easily bend one to conform to the radius of the dash "rib".
The oblong badges in my photo measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/4"

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

I'd just stick a bandaid over it and write "ouch" with a sharpie on the dash. But my car isn't nearly as nice Laughing
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
The best way is to strip back the paint and weld a piece in...fill and sand, then paint. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but that is the correct way. I am sure people will chime in with some variants.

It's relatively easy to cut a sheet metal patch with the right shape and contour and weld it in. That's where the fun begins. You'll want to remove the windshield, the grab handle and the glove box before welding. You'll ruin your windshield with spatter, you may melt your grab handle and you may set your glovebox on fire.

The good news is the welds can be ground and filed down with all that stuff out of the way. I wouldn't use any fill at all.

Or:

Glue a silver coin over the hole with silicone adhesive. A pre- '65 silver quarter will cover a relatively large hole. I keep Mexican 5000 peso coins on hand for larger holes.

Or:

Use a glass eye intended for taxidermy behind the hole. It would be hilarious to stick an LED behind the eye so it lights up.

AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

An easy way to fix this without welding would be to:

1. Cut a thin piece of metal, a little larger than the hole, and press it over the hole from inside the trunk so that it generally assumes the same contour as the missing dash piece; it does not have to be perfect.

2. Then, use JB weld to glue the contoured metal piece from inside the trunk so that it covers the hole. The metal patch will of course not sit fully flush with the dash surface. That is OK.

3. After JB Weld cures, use Bondo to fill the repair. Contour and sand the Bondo. It will be just like how it used to look.

4. Paint the dash.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

Do you need to stop your mind from wandering where it will go?

Link
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
An easy way to fix this without welding would be to:

1. Cut a thin piece of metal, a little larger than the hole, and press it over the hole from inside the trunk so that it generally assumes the same contour as the missing dash piece; it does not have to be perfect.

2. Then, use JB weld to glue the contoured metal piece from inside the trunk so that it covers the hole. The metal patch will of course not sit fully flush with the dash surface. That is OK.

3. After JB Weld cures, use Bondo to fill the repair. Contour and sand the Bondo. It will be just like how it used to look.

4. Paint the dash.

I would do something like this before I welded a patch in. As stated earlier, you would have to pull the windshield and welding will cause a lot of damage to the surrounding paint. This area isn't structural, exposed to the elements, or easily visible from the inside of the trunk. If you are very careful you could limit the damage from sanding the patch area to the area that is already damaged. Welding and grinding will scorch the paint much further. You would also have to worry about warping the metal. If you don't know what you are doing, you could create a much bigger problem for very little gain.

I would make the metal patch as close to the same thickness of the dash metal as possible though to keep the expansion rates of the metal as close as possible.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

Cardboard taped over the windshield will work so you don't have to remove it. But you will definitely need to get welding blankets and such to cover the inside.
The suggestions for a "non welded" repair are good. Look at an epoxy type filler (think boat repair) not an automotive filler(bondo) as the Bondo stuff usually shrinks and cracks at the seam. Epoxy a little square of cloth over the hole from the inside, and when it's dry fill the hole on the dash side.
VW_Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

I would recommend 3m panel adhesive. I had a car that had a bad hole cut in the dash I used it to put in a new one. You could bend a piece of sheet metal to fit then 'glue' it in, sand and paint, avoids the heat of a welder. Here is a video https://youtu.be/schvDSIxQnA
Here is a pic of my finished radio
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

VW_Driver wrote:
I would recommend 3m panel adhesive. I had a car that had a bad hole cut in the dash I used it to put in a new one. You could bend a piece of sheet metal to fit then 'glue' it in, sand and paint, avoids the heat of a welder. Here is a video https://youtu.be/schvDSIxQnA
Here is a pic of my finished radio

I would agree but that stuff is quite expensive. For such a small patch, JB Weld should work fine but if he wants to spend the money, the 3M adhesive would be the way to go.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fix hole in dash Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
I'm also through this. 4 holes in and under the dash, also expanded radio cut out. I only repainted the center section we repaired with a spray can. The inserts and glove box door are original paint.

Nice job. I'm going to have to do this with mine.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: