Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 beetle build?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 beetle build? Reply with quote

Allow me to introduce myself. Name's Adam. I am a 27 year old graphic designer and I have grown up around ACVW my entire life. My dad was a VW mechanic back in the 70's in Baltimore. Of course when I finally stated to drive I bought a GTI and spent the first ten years of my driving career bouncing around in mk2s and eventually a passat wagon. I always helped my dad with his air cooled cars and knew i would eventually want one. My love for watercooled cars was dying out and I was disgusted with most events and the trends so I lost interest. Here they are for good measure in case anyone remembers them (spent a lot of time on vwvortex as kinkerstinker)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then, one day, my dad offered me his 65! Did i mention that I have the coolest dad known to man? we call him Johnny.

Anyway, the story on the car is pretty cool. Its a sea blue 65 that he bought from the original owners in baltimore. I was with him when he got it and i was probably 4 or five at the time. I still remember pulling onto the block that it was parked on and seeing it for the first time. I remember getting stuck in the lap belt and not knowing how to un-latch it. We took this beetle to many bug-outs in Manassas when i was younger. I remember not being able to sleep the night before those shows because I was so excited. Heck I even learned to drive stick in this thing.

My dad "restored" the car once. Restored is in quotes because I think that word gets thrown around way too liberally these days. The car was not restored to factory. It has 67 seats, a 62 decklid, european bumper, no turn signals... and the list goes on. It was painted and all of the rust was fixed though.

This was how my dad wanted the car. He has never been one to get too hung up on originality and is super into modifications that only the nerdiest people would notice and start a conversation about.

So, onto me getting the car, I wanted to keep the car as "johnny" as I could. The fact that the car was pretty much given to me and how much history I have with the thing made me want to mostly leave it alone. I did, however, want to lower it. I've always had lowered cars and to me there is just something about them.

so here are a bunch of pictures.
here is a shot of the body being lifted off the pans. They were super crusty and were replaced with a 68 rolling chasis that I had purchased.

and here it is married up for the first time. It has at this point a 2" beam with drops and 1 outer click in the rear.

the first cruise

from here (dad's shop)

to here (my garage)

for the rest of that summer, I just drove it as is and enjoyed it.

Then the winter came. I ordered the.dub.lab drop plates when he started re-making them and got a taller tire for the front. tweaked the suspension to sit how I liked and went on my way again.

Next came the engine. It has a 1600 single port. bone stock. I acquired a set of delorto FRD34's and decided to rebuild them and throw them on. (ill snap a pic of them later if anyone is interested)

This is pretty much where I am at with it now. I have adjusted the suspension a little more since then and found the original hood and threw that on.

Plans for the future are to keep adding minimal touches of my own to it while keeping my dad's touches there. I want to build a bigger motor down the road. I'm getting married this fall so cash is tight there haha.

I know Johnny has a bunch of old pictures of me with the car at shows when I was little and when he had just painted it. I'll try to dig them up next time I am down at their house. Anyway thanks for looking and reading my story. I'll be sure to update this as I do things.

Last edited by kinkerstinker on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hater KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Great looking bug. The stance is perfect.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hater KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Great looking bug. The stance is perfect.

thank you very much.
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hater KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Perfect looking to me. Looks great, but is obviously still a driver. I love it.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

thanks for the kind words!

here are some engine shots.

little baby guys back there!
[/img]
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

here you can see my 65 about 12-13 years ago sitting next to my dads old Hoffman 52 standard and another shot of them in the garage right after we finished it. miss that car. sorry the quality is low. they are digital pics from the early 2000's haha

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

kinkerstinker wrote:

I think it's safe to say that you and your family are horders Shocked
In the good kind of way Very Happy
Nice line up of cars along the house.
And the stance on your car is fantastic.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I think it's safe to say that you and your family are horders Shocked
In the good kind of way Very Happy
Nice line up of cars along the house.
And the stance on your car is fantastic.

haha thanks. I should set that pic up again with the cars that we have now. would be cool to put them side by side.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Did a quick vector today over lunch. That is all.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Nice car. The name however ??
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Nice car. The name however ??

It's a joke. The very first thread I started on my red car was called Everyone hates Kinkerstinker as a joke and I have named every one of my threads some iteration of that since.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Took ol blue nose downtown for date night on friday.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

I know that these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have wanted one ever since I was a little kid. I've had it sitting on my dresser for months and finally took the time to do it. Was more of a pain than I thought it would be, but I didn't have to swear at the car too much.

Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Ha, I like how you chose a wheel that says 65 on it for your 65. Its the littlest things that stick out the most sometimes.
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

kinkerstinker wrote:
I know that these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have wanted one ever since I was a little kid. I've had it sitting on my dresser for months and finally took the time to do it. Was more of a pain than I thought it would be, but I didn't have to swear at the car too much.

What was the worst part of that? I have a roller already, but was considering changing the wheel to an RC touring car wheel and tire.
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 type1 edition Reply with quote

Jay-Rod wrote:

What was the worst part of that? I have a roller already, but was considering changing the wheel to an RC touring car wheel and tire.

if you already have a roller, i would imagine the only thing you'd have to do is find a bearing to match the id of the rc wheel.

Zorba2.0 wrote:
Ha, I like how you chose a wheel that says 65 on it for your 65. Its the littlest things that stick out the most sometimes.

wow. didn't even notice that but I'm definitely going to pretend that I meant it. thanks man! Laughing
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone hates KinkerStinker 65 beetle build? Reply with quote

Wow. I totally forgot about this thread. Not much has changed with the car honestly. I just drive it and enjoy it. Here it is in my new garage at my new house.

I did, however, just pick up a turkis 63 that should help me have something to cruise and finally fix the rust on this car. I have the original pan and most of the original engine still so I would love to get it back to numbers matching.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: