Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I spent a lot of time thinking about what size dc to dc charger to get. I ended up with a 20amp charger. My alternator is a 120 amp charger. Camped with the heater running I use maybe 10 amps a night. Once on the road, my SOC is 100% in less than an hour of running the engine. Curious, how much power are you folks using in a 12 hour period?

There’s also the element of camping several nights and days in one spot. The amp usage over that period of time can quickly climb especially with more features built into the rigs. Overbuilding the battery system usually has the end goal of making it invisible. It’s a luxury, sure, but it’s nice never to have to worry about a depleted battery despite camping several days in the shade with nice comfort and features. It’s not for everyone of course, but the footprint of a well built ~300Ah lithium battery can be considered modest compared to the conveniences it offers. I’m building a 300Ah system right now with all the guts that should fit nicely in about half of the Westfalia bench storage, including all the fuses, low voltage disconnect, shunt, killswitch, and 30A shore, solar and DC charging.

Though I guess that’s not really the point of this thread Razz again, a capacity question distraction!
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

True there is no one size that fits all.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

Question: Does switching profiles while charging damage the charger?
Answer: Good question Brandon, the charger won’t allow a profile change whilst charging, this can only happen whilst the charger is idle and not engaged…
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Question: Does switching profiles while charging damage the charger?
Answer: Good question Brandon, the charger won’t allow a profile change whilst charging, this can only happen whilst the charger is idle and not engaged…

Not ideal but not the end of the world either I guess. First stop and go would change the profile. I wonder if the profile would change if the charging side of the BMS is deactivated and reactivated (as can be done with Bluetooth BMS). Or if the profile didn’t get a chance to change, the battery could still be charged up to 90%. And 90% with 280Ah or 300Ah is still way more than enough for a long weekend of electrical debauchery Laughing
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

So internally mounting the Redarc 50amp dc-dc without any passive cooling results in the unit overheating and throttling your charging speed, pretty significantly.

I plan to relocate the unit to the rear pillar, behind the tail light, for airflow cooling. I will have to add a switch to control charging profiles for my unit.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Externally mounting the Redarc DC-DC Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Curious, how much power are you folks using in a 12 hour period?

In Baja, two people working on their laptops 8 hours a day, with 200w of roof-top solar, we were consuming about 100-150ah a day. We had a 300ah and a 150ah battery on board, and we had to move every 3 days to recharge our battery.

It's mainly my i9 laptop with it's 230w charger. While charging, it pulls 12amps DC / hour.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: