Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

jlinares wrote:
frenchroast wrote:
jlinares wrote:
What do you think it's the best oil for 1300 engine? Where I live temperature ranges between 9°C to 20°C, 48°F to 68°F.
I was looking at brands like liqui molly and Mobil 1.

You'll want oil with zinc added like Valvoline VR1 or Brad Penn. SAE30 should be fine in a mild climate.

Thanks for the reply. It's difficult to get those oil brands in my country, so I wonder if it would be fine to use a more common oil, but with a zinc additive?

The oil available where you are at likely has the right amount of zinc and other anti-wear additives to start with, especially if it is straight weight oil or a multigrade with a second number of 40 or above. Don't go turning your crankcase into an experimental chemistry lab, especially one where there are no controls or standards.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
[qu

The oil available where you are at likely has the right amount of zinc and other anti-wear additives to start with

Agreed. Your oil suppliers should have a Tech Line you can call for more detailed info (in the US they're 800 numbers). I'm guessing after a call to Tech you'll find many or most oils meet your needs. It is false info that modern cars all run roller cams, there are a ton of current production cars running flat tappet camshafts. For this reason many oils have the proper additives you want.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guack007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Is everyone referring to Valvoline 10W30 VR1 conventional (silver bottle) or synthetic (black)?

Is this correct:

Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 10W-30 High Performance High Zinc Motor Oil 1 QT, Case of 6 https://a.co/d/h8GHAXc
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I have been purchasing the Valvoline VR1 (with zinc!) for my aircooled engine, but always have grumbled at the price per quart.

Castrol GTX is now available (with zinc!) for a few bucks less a quart, but Walmart has an exclusive deal to sell it retail. Five quart bottles only, AFAIK.

Just a data point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Anyone, other than myself, running Mobil 1 V-Twin oil? Its got plenty of zinc and phosphorus...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

static wrote:
I have been purchasing the Valvoline VR1 (with zinc!) for my aircooled engine, but always have grumbled at the price per quart.

Castrol GTX is now available (with zinc!) for a few bucks less a quart, but Walmart has an exclusive deal to sell it retail. Five quart bottles only, AFAIK.

Is this the 10w/40 High Mileage Synthetic?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drewnashty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
static wrote:

Is this the 10w/40 High Mileage Synthetic?

The 'Castrol GTX with Zinc' mentioned is probably the "Castrol GTX Classic" that states right on the front label "High Zinc Content". I have only seen it in SAE 20w50, with a very reasonable $25 per 5 Qt price at Wally World
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Over the years there has been an overabundance of engine oil myths. Here are some facts you may want to pass along to customers to help debunk the fiction behind these myths.

The Starburst Oil Myth -- The latest myth promoted by the antique and collector car press says that new Starburst/ API SM engine oils (called Starburst for the shape of the symbol on the container) are bad for older engines because the amount of anti-wear additive in them has been reduced. The anti-wear additive being discussed is zinc dithiophosphate (ZDP).

Before debunking this myth, we need to look at the history of ZDP usage. For over 60 years, ZDP has been used as an additive in engine oils to provide wear protection and oxidation stability.

ZDP was first added to engine oil to control copper/lead bearing corrosion. Oils with a phosphorus level in the 0.03% range passed a corrosion test introduced in 1942.

In the mid-1950s, when the use of high-lift camshafts increased the potential for scuffing and wear, the phosphorus level contributed by ZDP was increased to the 0.08% range.

In addition, the industry developed a battery of oil tests (called sequences), two of which were valve-train scuffing and wear tests.

A higher level of ZDP was good for flat-tappet valve-train scuffing and wear, but it turned out that more was not better. Although break-in scuffing was reduced by using more phosphorus, longer-term wear increased when phosphorus rose above 0.14%. And, at about 0.20% phosphorus, the ZDP started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling.

By the 1970s, increased antioxidancy was needed to protect the oil in high-load engines, which otherwise could thicken to a point where the engine could no longer pump it. Because ZDP was an inexpensive and effective antioxidant, it was used to place the phosphorus level in the 0.10% range.

However, phosphorus is a poison for exhaust catalysts. So, ZDP levels have been reduced over the last 10-15 years. It's now down to a maximum of 0.08% for Starburst oils. This was supported by the introduction of modern ashless antioxidants that contain no phosphorus.

Enough history. Let's get back to the myth that Starburst oils are no good for older engines. The argument put forth is that while these oils work perfectly well in modern, gasoline engines equipped with roller camshafts, they will cause catastrophic wear in older engines equipped with flat-tappet camshafts.

The facts say otherwise.

Backward compatibility was of great importance when the Starburst oil standards were developed by a group of experts from the OEMs, oil companies, and oil additive companies. In addition, multiple oil and additive companies ran no-harm tests on older engines with the new oils; and no problems were uncovered.

The new Starburst specification contains two valve-train wear tests. All Starburst oil formulations must pass these two tests.

- Sequence IVA tests for camshaft scuffing and wear using a single overhead camshaft engine with slider finger (not roller) followers.

- Sequence IIIG evaluates cam and lifter wear using a V6 engine with a flat-tappet system, similar to those used in the 1980s.
Those who hold onto the myth are ignoring the fact that the new Starburst oils contain about the same percentage of ZDP as the oils that solved the camshaft scuffing and wear issues back in the 1950s. (True, they do contain less ZDP than the oils that solved the oil thickening issues in the 1960s, but that's because they now contain high levels of ashless antioxidants not commercially available in the 1960s.)

Despite the pains taken in developing special flat-tappet camshaft wear tests that these new oils must pass and the fact that the ZDP level of these new oils is comparable to the level found necessary to protect flat-tappet camshafts in the past, there will still be those who want to believe the myth that new oils will wear out older engines.

Like other myths before it, history teaches us that it will probably take 60 or 70 years for this one to die also.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Over the years there has been an overabundance of engine oil myths.

The argument put forth is that while these oils work perfectly well in modern, gasoline engines equipped with roller camshafts, they will cause catastrophic wear in older engines equipped with flat-tappet camshafts.

Despite the pains taken in developing special flat-tappet camshaft wear tests that these new oils must pass and the fact that the ZDP level of these new oils is comparable to the level found necessary to protect flat-tappet camshafts in the past, there will still be those who want to believe the myth that new oils will wear out older engines.

Like other myths before it, history teaches us that it will probably take 60 or 70 years for this one to die also.

Agreed, this myth will take a generation or two to die out. My most recent COVVC column:

On various classic car forums I’ve seen considerable misinformation regarding the amount of flat tappet (non-roller) cams in modern cars. It seems that many people believe that all cars built in the last 20 years have roller cams and flat tappet cams are distant history. As a result of this, there is constant debate about the perceived amount of zinc needed in oils used in our older cars that do have flat tappet cams. I recently tore down a 2018 Ford F150 engine which had flat tappets in it, see pictures below. First, some facts: There are many millions of flat tappet cars on the road built in the last ten years. Here is a partial list:

Ford 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 4 cylinders used in Edge, Escape, Explorer, Fusion, Mustang, Ranger, Transit Connect, MKC, Flex, Taurus, Continental through at least 2020 and probably current production.

Ford 2.7, 3.3, 3.5 V6 engines used in many sedans, SUVs and trucks up until at least 2020 and probably to current production.

In Toyotas, flat tappets are used in their 1.5, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 4 cylinder engines up until at least 2015. Their 4.0 V6 truck engines also used flat tappets during this time.

Jeep 2.0 and 2.4 used flat tappets through 2016

Hyundai 1.4, 1.6, 2.4 Engines

Kia through 2022 in some engines

Why is this interesting? Because the classic car crowd is all in a twist about how much zinc is in each oil formulation and they are worried that if there is not enough zinc in the oil, their flat tappet camshafts will fail. First, all oil manufacturers have 800-tech lines that you can call and ask them, so please do so. I’ve called several of them over the years and you’ll find they all will tell you there is enough zinc in most or all of their oils to protect flat tappet engines. I’ve been in the industry my whole life and can’t remember a late model camshaft/lifter failure in anything, and they’re all using a lower zinc content oil due to EPA regulations and to prevent poisoning catalytic convertors. Most or all of the engines listed above specify synthetic or semi-synthetic oils and many have crazy oil change intervals in the 10,000 to 20,000 mile range. In my opinion, any camshaft/lifter failures in classic car engines are mostly due to substandard materials used in their manufacture, not a lube failure. Aftermarket parts are generally designed with cost being more important than quality, OEM parts are generally designed with quality being above cost.

I’m trying to avoid this being a “what type of oil should I use” column. If you are building a new engine, use the cam lube supplied by the cam manufacturer to protect the camshaft during break-in and the oil of your choice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

There is a lot more than "flat tappets" that affect cam wear. The added weight of heavy lifters, push rods, and rocker arms means the use of heavier valve springs this of course means higher contact pressures between the cam and the lifters. Ratio rockers have an effect here as well. Type 4 engines have a notorious wear problem as the cam and lifter run up the miles as well. Not only does each lobe on the cam operate two valves on VW aircooled engine, on a Type 4 the lifters are oddly offset on the lobes causing proportionally more wear in the center of the lifters making them wear concave at lower mileages, and once they become concave the wear to the lifters and camshaft accelerates. The difference in wear rate between a Type 4 with hydraulic lifters and a Waterboxer running the exact same lifters is extreme and even when comparing a Type 4 with solid lifters to a Waterboxer with hydraulics there is a big difference in the wear rate.

That said there have been big improvements in oils since the low ZDDP oils came into use with the SM standard 20'ish years ago. Today there are other antiwear additives added to the oils besides ZDDP and the ZDDP that is used does not degrade as readily meaning less is needed to get the job done.

At this point I typically run extended oil changes using either 5w40 Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil or 5w40 Mobile 1 European Car Formula Oil. If you don't want to pay the price for synthetics while getting most of the benefits run a straight 30wt oil, as today's straight weight oils are not your grandfathers oils, but a more highly refined replacement that still doesn't depend on viscosity modifiers.
BigGar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

After reading much of 540 RAT's oil blog I'm going to get some Amsoil 10w50 Dirt Motorcycle Oil or some Harley Davidson 20w50 Screamin' Eagle SYN3.
Ultra high thermal breakdown and excellent wear protection.

I feel like thermal breakdown temperature being as high as possible alongside extremely high wear protection is hard to beat.
I just picked up a little Manx clone with a fairly fresh 2180.

I do need to put a clutch in it soon so I'm just getting my air cooled VW feet wet again after nearly 50 years of not playing with dune buggies.

I live just north of San Diego and most of it's use will be around town here or running the beach and trails of northern Baja.

Rarely any use at temps under 50 but quite possibly a lot of hard running in warm weather between 75 to 95. That, and sitting in SoCal traffic.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

The '64 baja I got several months ago, with a '65 40HP, is an oil burner for sure. The dipstick level drops pretty quickly driving it around the small amount I do currently. It had a very sludgy oil strainer when I changed the oil, so it was highly neglected. Sad

It has "ok" compression across all 4cyls. Not great but it's not totally done for yet either. (around 100-110)

It's currently running 15w40 diesel oil, because I always have some around for my old '85 diesel motorhome. (brand always varies)

Thinking I might add some STP to the bug to slow the oil burning. The bottle says it adds ZDDP so that's in addition to the zinc in the diesel oil.

Yeah Castrol GTX classic 20w50 isn't too expensive online for 5qts, but I'm an RV nomad, so I can't always get mail easily. Diesel oil + STP can be bought most anywhere. Bottle says full bottle for 4-5qts, so half a bottle (7.5oz is half) should be plenty for the bug. And only add it once per oil change, only oil after that.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
The '64 baja I got several months ago, with a '65 40HP, is an oil burner for sure. The dipstick level drops pretty quickly driving it around the small amount I do currently. It had a very sludgy oil strainer when I changed the oil, so it was highly neglected. Sad

It has "ok" compression across all 4cyls. Not great but it's not totally done for yet either. (around 100-110)

It's currently running 15w40 diesel oil, because I always have some around for my old '85 diesel motorhome. (brand always varies)

Thinking I might add some STP to the bug to slow the oil burning. The bottle says it adds ZDDP so that's in addition to the zinc in the diesel oil.

Yeah Castrol GTX classic 20w50 isn't too expensive online for 5qts, but I'm an RV nomad, so I can't always get mail easily. Diesel oil + STP can be bought most anywhere. Bottle says full bottle for 4-5qts, so half a bottle (7.5oz is half) should be plenty for the bug. And only add it once per oil change, only oil after that.

I have had good luck running a 15w50 Mobile 1 to cut down on oil use. In theory at least it is less affected by higher temps than a dino oil. I wouldn't use it if the oil use stayed high after having run it for a while though, instead just run the cheapest house brand you can find.

I believe that STP actually has the same low level of zinc as a 10w30 or thinner SM/SN oil, so if you added it to a 15w40 or thicker oil it will reduce the zinc concentration. This includes the red bottle if I am not mistaken.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I believe that STP actually has the same low level of zinc as a 10w30 or thinner SM/SN oil, so if you added it to a 15w40 or thicker oil it will reduce the zinc concentration. This includes the red bottle if I am not mistaken.

Good point about STP's zinc content.

It has some leaks so I'd rather not try more expensive oils. I guess I'll return the STP next time I go to town and just get another gallon of 15w40. I used a partial bottle of "Mobil Delvac 1300 Super" to fill the bug, that I had already from changing the RV's oil last time. I have a sealed jug of O'Reilly 15w40 I can tap into if needed, and I probably will soon.

I have been looking into the idea of "Restore" also:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restore-8-Cylinder-Formula-Engine-Restorer-and-Lubricant-16-oz/33753854

It's $8 for the 4cyl botte (9oz) or $10 for the 8cyl bottle (16oz). So if I was gonna try it, I might as well pay the extra $2, use only half the bottle, and have an extra dose for later.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Huh, wow. Supposedly Delvac has only 879ppm of zinc:
http://pqiadata.org/Mobil_Delvac_15W40_732018.html

Compared to 1,127 for O'Reilly:
http://pqiadata.org/OReilly_15W40.html

Other mainstream/easy to get brands all seem to have over 1,000 except for Delvac and Delo.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Since fewer diesel oils are now carrying an "S" rating along with a "C" rating, I found this article to be worth the read.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/diesel-oil-in-gasoline-engine/
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Since fewer diesel oils are now carrying an "S" rating along with a "C" rating, I found this article to be worth the read.

"Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines requiring the API SN specification."

Source: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-businesses...per-15w-40

That's what I have in it right now. I just checked the actual label on the bottle of O'Reilly brand 15w40 diesel oil and it also says SN too, it should be fine to use to top off the bug since I used up the last of the Delvac for the bug's oil change. It was a partial jug from my RV's last oil change.

The rest of the article you link is pretty much repeatedly saying how bad it is for "today's" cars.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:

The rest of the article you link is pretty much repeatedly saying how bad it is for "today's" cars.

Yes the point is that not all diesel oils are optimum for use in gasoline engines. While I don't think we will find a gasoline engine wear test between Shell T6 and Delo 400XSP, following the ratings on the "donuts" is likely a good way to determine which oil will give the better service in a gasoline engine. I know from an experience 45 years ago that not having enough antifoaming agent in the oil can cause the crankcase to empty itself in a few miles and I would rather not repeat that.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I tried telling you this 5 years ago. Diesel oils should not be used in gasoline engines.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I tried telling you this 5 years ago. Diesel oils should not be used in gasoline engines.

I'll say it again: "Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines requiring the API SN specification."

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 233 of 235

Jump to: