Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

yeah but you have no idea what it was doing while you weren't watching.

Link

I had to google DKU.

Link

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

EV Tractor.
Timely given the current price of diesel.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/business/tesla-semi-pepsi/index.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

They aren't ALL bad.... (Converted Ghia)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165798855924?hash=item269...000%7C2500

no affiliation
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Yup that's a baddd ghia. Couldn't make reserve on BaT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-23/
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If only I had watched videos about Tesla engineering from Dunning Kruger University graduates ….

I’ve driven it 200. Miles and am showing 60 miles left. I’ll drive it 30 miles to the airport today to finish, without recharging all week

Interesting add on. I would not do that in a gas car as I don’t go below 1/4 tank in winter for protection of the fuel pumps.

pix or it didn't happen.

you're the type of guy looking to prove everyone wrong, so pony up the photos

I'll wait for the "I didn't have time" excuses. Your smugness wouldn't let you drive one without documentation, so lets see it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Abscate wrote:

If only I had watched videos about Tesla engineering from Dunning Kruger University graduates ….

I’ve driven it 200. Miles and am showing 60 miles left. I’ll drive it 30 miles to the airport today to finish, without recharging all week

Interesting add on. I would not do that in a gas car as I don’t go below 1/4 tank in winter for protection of the fuel pumps.

pix or it didn't happen.

I'll wait for the "I didn't have time" excuses. Your smugness wouldn't let you drive one without documentation, so lets see it

Bad form, Skilz. Bad form.

When someone posts personal experience instead of hearsay take it at face value and move on.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

NachoCar wrote:
They aren't ALL bad.... (Converted Ghia)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165798855924?hash=item269...000%7C2500

no affiliation

Interesting lot. 83 Westy for $37K. That's wishful thinking.
https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/vehicle/SCT/1113/1983-Volkswagen-Vanagon-Camper
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Yup that's a baddd ghia. Couldn't make reserve on BaT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-23/

I’m guessing the reserve was $50k
Not unreasonable IMO.
It’s engineering seems well thought out but the second I saw it was being sold by Gateway I was instantly turned off.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

speaking of Rich...

as always, a great watch. his rant at 22:00 is spot on. actually, the whole video is great

and at 26 mins onwards he's bitching about the price to charge Laughing

YeA ElEcTrIc

Yeah, I’ve passed several Teslas limping along at 45-50 on 95 between Fredericksburg & DC. Quite amusing considering I was in a 50+ YO slow ass VW.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

pix or it didn't happen.

You’ve got me 100% wrong. I love to be proven wrong because it means I learned something. Proof has to be in logical form, though not MUS.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Abscate wrote:

pix or it didn't happen.

You’ve got me 100% wrong. I love to be proven wrong because it means I learned something. Proof has to be in logical form, though not MUS.

So, 230 miles on a single charge? Not bad.

I'd like some more data, though (if you don't mind), just to get a complete picture of what the car is capable of.

Average ambient temps?

Which model Tesla?

Drove it like you stole it, or like you had an egg under your foot?

Starting percentage of battery charge vs ending percentage?

Projected range vs actual range?

Highway miles vs city miles?

Amenities (cabin heat, heated seats, GPS, Bluetooth, autopilot, etc.) on or off?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

speaking of Rich...

Link

as always, a great watch. his rant at 22:00 is spot on. actually, the whole video is great

and at 26 mins onwards he's bitching about the price to charge Laughing

YeA ElEcTrIc

Even before I watched this video, I pretty much already knew what he was going to say (politicians dictating policy are living in a bubble, EV's are expensive and impractical, the infrastructure has a long way to go, car dealerships are actively lying to you, Best Western sucks, etc.), with one HUGE exception. At 26:50, he shows how much it was costing him to recharge his batteries. I was SHOCKED by this. I had to re-watch that part three times! $77.46 to gain a little over 200 miles of range? Are you kidding me? Even at $4.00/gal, I could go the same distance in my Bug for about 1/4 the price! He spent $67.87 to go from 13.1 kWh to 106.5 kWh. That's nearly 73 cents per kWh!

I just love the part where he recommends charging your EV either at home, or at a friend's house as much as possible. Man, if ever one of my friends shows up at my house and asks if he can recharge his EV, I'm gonna tell him to go plug it into his own arse!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

having watched a few (too many) wham baam teslacam videos it occured to me that quite a few are written off after accidents. I wonder what the percentage of teslas written off is, and what happens to the remains - are they stripped for batteries etc and recycled?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are ba Reply with quote

Get an insurance quote for a comparable price ICe car. The loss will be reflected in the premium to first order
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
steve244 wrote:
You're so easy...

Guilty as charged!

steve244 wrote:
$0.12/kWh is what I pay AT HOME to Marietta Power and Water whether it's for drying my clothes or charging the car. . .

Ok, so you charge at home. You're saying you pay ONLY 12 cents per kWh? No Customer Charges? No Delivery Fees? No Maintenance Fees? Not even Sales Tax? If that's true, I'm thinkin' I may need to move to your town! I'm not too sure about the squealing, though. . .

steve244 wrote:
Lot to break down here. No idea what my employer pays. I suspect commercial rates are less than domestic. But my employer has a couple hundred solar panels. So technically I'm charging for free (if we discount the capital cost of solar panels).

On the losses at the Charging station. It's just a switch, not a transformer. The car has its own rectifier to charge the batteries. So what it says at the charging station is what I consume. We've already discussed line losses due to resistance.

If you say so.

Where I live commercial rates are higher than residential. In some cases, A LOT higher. But the solar panels are a nice touch (that's one HELL of a discount if you're not counting the cost of those things!).

steve244 wrote:
On the costs in CT , CA or HI, I don't expect anyone to pay more for using electric vehicles than gasoline. Do you?

YES!

Hawaii Electric currently charges $0.44/kWh, plus $11.50 Customer Charge, plus 4% Sales Tax. 12 kWh per day over 30 days would cost me $176.70. Gasoline costs $5.097/gal in Hawaii. If I consumed one gallon per day for 30 days, that would cost me $152.91. Total for both: $329.61

12 kWh per day for 30 days, plus another 12 kWh per day for my EV would cost me $341.43.

I would save $11.82 per month if I drove my Beetle instead of your Leaf. Don't worry, I may be conceited, but I'm rarely ever smug.

steve244 wrote:
Yeah baby, you've just hit on the true cost of driving fast! Friction my child. Friction. This affects everyone. Maybe EVs a bit less as they are designed to be slippery. Vanagons not so much. Well that and regenerative braking. You keep forgetting that bit.

Yes, aerodynamic drag would explain some of that, and regenerative braking too (I haven't forgotten, I know it's important to you). EV's also have a ton (quite literally!) of weight to move around, so I would think the regenerative braking would only help recuperate some of the extra energy lost in constantly accelerating all that mass. If I really thrash on my Beetle, I can lose 15%, maybe even 20% of my maximum "range". But the loss of range on the highway for an EV, at least in the EV's I looked at, was like 40% - 50% compared to city range, especially in cold weather. I imagine that will have a considerable impact on the practicality of these vehicles.

My point was, I don't expect anyone to buy an electric car when gasoline is cheaper. Except UgoCarSkilz. He will be subjected to the awesomeness of electric propulsion and love it so much he never goes back.

Marietta power and water's payment structure was detailed in the link I posted. The rate I gave is correct: $0.12/kWh. Southern Co is trying to raise rates though so I don't know how long that will last. The utilities commission is scratching their heads trying to figure out how benefiting stockholders benefits electric customers. But Gov Kemp's gas tax vacation is bound to end soon and gas will go back up to the national average. $3.20/gal is without GA state tax.

Research Teslas... they are engineered to keep their range even in winter. They also have better heaters than the Leaf's.

The Leaf does pretty good (check summer/winter charts to compare). But with a winter range of around 70 miles and a summer range of around 80 (difference is mainly if I heat the cabin) I'll not be taking any long trips in it. It is nice to walk out to a toasty cabin on cold GA mornings though. Just have to remember to plug it in the night before.

Ftom a buy standpoint it was smart to buy that used, but unless your commute is small they are dangerous used.

It’s much harder to turn over a new Leaf.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate, Why is a Nissan Leaf “Dangerous used?”

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
low range mostly.

You need to be aware of any EV that the batteries degrade with use and time. This can vary widely from car to car.

There are displays that show what the battery capacity is, not just the percentage charge and estimated range. Understand these before shopping.

Otherwise the danger is you'll like it.

Here's a prime example. Asking $8000 for a car that's worth... nothing.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehiclede...pe=listing
Can you see why?

Try doing that with an ICE!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I’ve hooked my Monday morning Fish….
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

mondays Rolling Eyes
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xevin wrote:

I’ve hooked my Monday morning Fish….

I understand the humor in your idiom. I’m not sure why a used Leaf is dangerous. Can you explain the dangers you speak of. Any examples or links?

I ask because there is an outfit in Portland that specializes in selling used Leaf cars and a friend is considering buying one. They put a new battery in it to bring the range back up to factory specifications. They also have two other battery options to increase the range. I wonder how long their new batteries hold up?

See the link below.

https://evridesllc.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 68 of 235

Jump to: