Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Machine Work Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Yes, it’s true. 10L and 13 inch south bends typically run more than the 16 inch. This one was just small enough to be moved with my 2 ton engine hoist with the boom extended half way out. Catalog lists the weight as just shy of 1800 Lbs. I was able to roll it around pretty easy with the engine hoist. Balanced perfectly just ahead of the headstock with the saddle and tailstock moved all the way over towards the motor base.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Thosed smaller ones are more expensive than the really big gigantic ones. Not everyone can bring home a 10,000 lb behemoth. But those 1000-pounders you can put on your back and bring it home. Laughing

Truth. I got two 16x60 southbound lathes for a grand several years back. 3, 4, and six jaw chucks with one, and a full collet set with the other. I kept the better one and all the tooling, and sold the other but included delivery as not many people can move such things. It sold in a day. It's too long for 99% of what I do, but every once in a while I need to make a driveshaft and then I'm thankful to have it.
For home shop use I would like to have a gap bed lathe that can swing a full 15" wheel. I often have to straighten wheels, or cut the centers out and weld them into new barrels. The 16" south bend isn't big enough, so I've been using a modified drum brake lathe. It works but is pretty gnarly to use.
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:
nsracing wrote:
Thosed smaller ones are more expensive than the really big gigantic ones. Not everyone can bring home a 10,000 lb behemoth. But those 1000-pounders you can put on your back and bring it home. Laughing

Truth. I got two 16x60 southbound lathes for a grand several years back. 3, 4, and six jaw chucks with one, and a full collet set with the other. I kept the better one and all the tooling, and sold the other but included delivery as not many people can move such things. It sold in a day. It's too long for 99% of what I do, but every once in a while I need to make a driveshaft and then I'm thankful to have it.
For home shop use I would like to have a gap bed lathe that can swing a full 15" wheel. I often have to straighten wheels, or cut the centers out and weld them into new barrels. The 16" south bend isn't big enough, so I've been using a modified drum brake lathe. It works but is pretty gnarly to use.

You need to find a SB16/24 which is a SB16 with 4” riser blocks. Maybe even find a great deal on one that the bed is shot and transfer the appropriate parts to yours.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

So here is a question for guys experienced in honing cylinders.

I would like to bore out and shorten some 913 Deutz cylinders for a future T4 engine. The 913 cylinders are 102mm, and I would like to take it up to 103. When boring the cylinder, how much material do you leave on it for an automotive machine shop to hone it to final dimensions?

rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Ask your machine shop how much to leave. Great thread. Haven't been on here in a while, life gets in the way. I will post some pics of my 1958 LeBlond Regal 13, Excello 602 and SB shaper. I don't pretend to be a machinist but I took a machine shop course at a community college while I was going to engineering school, the only course in 4 years that I understood, LOL.I made my own rotary phase converter with a 10 HP new idler I got for 100, two big a#$ GE contactors I got for a prayer and of course a few capacitors.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

leave .005" unless you bore it very rough than leave more. a good boring bar(rottler) will fracture the iron about .002" deep witch is. .004" dia. so leave .005" to be sure it's honed back to good material. many times many machine shops leave .002 0r .003 to be honed out and they end up not lasting as well as destroying the pistons with all the iron that"breaks off" while it's running. and cheep china or cheep cast iron rings like the grant shit just makes it worse.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Traditionally instructions (from lets say sunnen), would be bore no closer than .005" short of size.
Rough hone to to .003 from size, then start your base finish.
That is conservative IMO but still a good place to start, for your first few hundred.

Using the AMC C4 I now bore .003" -.004" short, but that is a very large and very good boring machine and I'm quite good at running it.
Mostly just saying that to pis off mark. Best to play it safe.
But it depends on size too. a 2" bore I'd bore .002" short.

And old fashoned and worn out boring bar..... (like one shop I've done honing for), then you'd best to leave .006"

One guy brought in harley cylinders he bored himself with his bridgeport and it looked like some kind of a failed threading operation. Shocked

As they say your results may vary, but for sure the worse your results are the more you should leave.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

It all depends on how bad the taper is from the roughing cuts. The idea is to leave enough material so after you hone to size, you actually got a straight hole.

Am I close, Modok? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

This shop can hone your cylinders using a profilometer

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2564196

Not cheap, but very good
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

I talked with my local automotive machine shop. They recommended no more than 10 thou of material to hone out, and that 5 thou of material to hone out would be good. Sounds reasonable to me.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone come across a source for prints of VW engine parts? I would be interested in complete prints for Type 4 heads or cases. So far, this is all I have been able to turn up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

I have been experimenting on some junk bolts/all-thread, trying to find a tool I like which could be use to create waisted shank fasteners. I tried rounded nose left hand and right hand tools, but didn’t like switching tools. Then I found this RCMT10T3M0 round insert. Looks promising so far. It is tough getting it started in the threads, but once it is in, it worked surprisingly well.

To make something like a waisted shank head stud, I will definitely need to rig up a follow test for the lathe, but this might be the ticket. Turning down some 180,000 PSI rolled threaded rod, and then polishing, could make some nice heavy duty custom length Type 4 head studs.

Best to experiment on scraps. Good high strength rolled all-thread is not cheap.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

I got a chance to play around with some more scrap threaded rod to figure out the best way to turn waisted shank head studs.

My problem now is that I don’t like how I would have to rig up a follow rest to reduce chatter. I would have to turn an inch of so, stop, choke up on the support fingers, and start again. I wish I could do it in one continuous operation rather than stop/start. Think Think Think

And this is why we experiment with cheap scrap instead of diving in head first with $$$ rolled 12.9 (180,000 psi) threaded rod. Laughing

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Has anyone come across a source for prints of VW engine parts? I would be interested in complete prints for Type 4 heads or cases. So far, this is all I have been able to turn up.

Fr tho. I've searched Many times with high hopes, but Google ain't giving up the goods.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I got a chance to play around with some more scrap threaded rod to figure out the best way to turn waisted shank head studs.

My problem now is that I don’t like how I would have to rig up a follow rest to reduce chatter. I would have to turn an inch of so, stop, choke up on the support fingers, and start again. I wish I could do it in one continuous operation rather than stop/start. Think Think Think

And this is why we experiment with cheap scrap instead of diving in head first with $$$ rolled 12.9 (180,000 psi) threaded rod. Laughing

Does your follower have enough surface area to be okay riding on the threaded portion without damage? The spinning threads will want to wear away the follower I think, but you could set it up to ride on the headstock side of your cut so you don't have to adjust to ride on the cut part of the threaded rod as you get going.

-Derek
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Also the higher hardness threaded rod will cut MUCH differently.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

It does cut differently. I tried a few 12.9 bolts, and chewing the threads off is a little more dramatic, but once you have something smooth, it turns alright.

As for the follow rest, I have 3/4” brass rods.

I wonder about putting a center in the brass rods, and then capturing a 8mm ball bearing in it. That way I could plunge my cutter, adjust the follower rest, then turn all the way to the other end without having to stop. As long as the ball bearing is less than 10mm (diameter of my insert), it could be left engaged the whole time without bumping into the radius at either end of the shank. I would probably have to chew off the threads before the follower could ride on it, but surface finish doesn’t matter until after the threads are gone anyways.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Your tool radius is causing some of the deflection problem.
put your transition radius's in first then use a smaller radius tool (.016-.03) to finish between, you will still need a follow rest.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

I've thought it might also help to have the stud in tension, but that's not simple to try. I used a pointy tool then ground the radius after.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Machine Work Thread Reply with quote

Two separate operations could be done. First durning the radius and either end, then straight turning the center. I have also considered dressing a grinding wheel and setting up a tool post grinder on the lathe.

At any rate, shorter waisted shank cylinder head stud prototype number one completed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: