Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Master Cylinder short comings
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Master Cylinder short comings Reply with quote

Will be replacing the master cylinder on the 72 squareback. Are there any short comings, tricks, beware ofs etc. Chime in both the removal and install. It will be going to Jim Abney for refurbish. Unless someone has a nice full functional non chinese one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

Just the obvious... replace all the soft lines while you are at it. Rebuild your wheel cylinders/calipers while you are at it, too. Re-check your pedal freeplay when done. Read up on DOT3/43/5 options.
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

And follow Jim's advice and recommendations. His recommendations are sometimes prescient or psychic. He suggested looking at the grommets to the frame which I had not thought of, and all were rotten.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

*** edited out. Use the FCP link just below

Last edited by Erik G on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

FCP has them for a good price & free shipping right now.

I personally don't mess with rebuilding this stuff. Pay attention to those ports on install. They aren't all the same

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-master-cylinder-fastback-squareback-311611015j

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/ate-fag-brake-master-cylinder-113-611-015/

Before you go with a Beetle one read the thread below.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674637
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Erik G wrote:
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/ate-fag-brake-master-cylinder-113-611-015/

Before you go with a Beetle one read the thread below.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674637

My bad, I know better, I searched for the 311 part number, I'm not sure why that one showed up... Yeah I wouldn't use a bug master either - thanks
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
FCP has them for a good price & free shipping right now.

I personally don't mess with rebuilding this stuff. Pay attention to those ports on install. They aren't all the same

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-master-cylinder-fastback-squareback-311611015j

-Lucas

yes - this one right here, I had the wrong part. FCP is badass, lifetime warranty on almost everything they sell - even clutches and brakes, belts and hoses. almost everything - not empty cans of paint, WD40, etc.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

What i am honestly wondering is are there metal sleeves in the firewall like the type 1?
I have replaced the type 1 bug master cylinders before.

On the FCPEuro link for the master cylinder, how many here have used this one and how reliable is it?? I have some a few type on mst cyl fail in 3 days multiple times. AKA junk.
Keep feeding me information. I have not started the job yet, yes I have the Bentley manual.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
What i am honestly wondering is are there metal sleeves in the firewall like the type 1?
I have replaced the type 1 bug master cylinders before.

On the FCPEuro link for the master cylinder, how many here have used this one and how reliable is it?? I have some a few type on mst cyl fail in 3 days multiple times. AKA junk.
Keep feeding me information. I have not started the job yet, yes I have the Bentley manual.

NO on the spacers\sleeves - type one MC itself is threaded while the type three bolts chassis support.

While I have not used this exact MC from FCP I buy lots of stuff from them for my VW's and Euro daily drivers. As Eric said above- they are a great company with many quality parts. I would not hesitate to buy from them. Plus they are relatively close to me and my parts arrive fast, sometimes the next day

There really is not a lot to this other than dealing with brake fluid (one of my least favorite chems) , two bolts, two switches, 3 brake lines. I am assuming you are having some brake issues so the rest of the system should be inspected, rebuilt\replaced as others have said above.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

The other componentsin the brake system fine an gone thru already. Probably will order from them.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: MasterCylinder short comings Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

ATE is a good brand. Go with it when you can along with FAG/FTE.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cylinder short comings Completed<<< Reply with quote

Here is the follow up to the short comings.

Master cylinder arrived campared to what is mounted to the car, looks the same.
Removed the old one came apart with ease. Upon reassembly is a short coming as my arms are not long enough to hold the brake pedal down to push the rod thru the firewall. Called the assistant over to depress the brake pedal while I lined up the mst cyl, as I moved closer to the fire wall the assistant held slight pressure so things stayed together, slowly releasing the pedal. Bolted it up to the fire wall. Connecting the lines is always interesting. One always want so be difficult and it was.
Back onthe road.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: