Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Wasn’t planning on buying another Ghia prior to beginning actual work on a recent purchase, I did just that yesterday. The car was a short drive from my home in Tampa at an Orlando area car lot who specializes more in Muscle cars.

Long story short I made them an offer they couldn’t refuse. They produced 6 plus pages of invoiced and paid receipts for work done on the car that didn’t include any interior work but totaled in excess of $9300. This one is not for the purists as it is a 1973 Chassis and a yet to be identified 1960’s era? Body. The dealer had no clue and my best guess was maybe a 1967?

Any help with the identification of the year of the body would be appreciated. It has a clear Florida title but previously titled in Indiana where it was given a reassigned VIN. The VIN below the back jumpseat is indeed a 1973 production.

I’m thick skinned so if you think I’m an idiot don’t hold back. Altogether it was a good transaction in my mind and affordable as it was bought below the cost of the aforementioned repair totals.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Ok I ruled out ‘67 because of the dash on this one. Seems ‘66 was the last year of this type dash. Pale Blue color appears to be Bermuda Blue. Any guesses or is it too far of a range to discern the actual year of the body on a ‘73 VIN pan?

Shown next to ‘72 project when I brought it home. Rear view was when I splashed enough gas in it to get me home from Orlando to Tampa. Gas fill is under the bonnet on drivers side.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

I know you said there is a VIN tag on the pan. What about the body?
In the trunk? On the dash? Doors? Hopefully something still there
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:
I know you said there is a VIN tag on the pan. What about the body?
In the trunk? On the dash? Doors? Hopefully something still there

I’ll look closer today to try to find any VIN associated with the body. Thanks

For sure the pan is ‘73
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Had an idea to contact the shop that did the majority of the work on the vehicle and the owner recalled the car. He stated to me that he believed it to be a 1966 body on the 1973 Pan. '66 checks out to what he said was the original paint of Bermuda Blue and the I believe last year ignition on the painted dash, BUT.... the placement of the ashtray on the dash isn't consistent with 1966 design I don't believe.

Last edited by Heljestrand on Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Heljestrand wrote:
'66 checks out to what he said was the original paint of Bermuda Blue and the I believe last year ignition on the painted dash.

A '66 had a one year only dash trim...look for holes used to secure the trim. If there's no sign of them it's not likely to be a '66.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Heljestrand wrote:
'66 checks out to what he said was the original paint of Bermuda Blue and the I believe last year ignition on the painted dash.

A '66 had a one year only dash trim...look for holes used to secure the trim. If there's no sign of them it's not likely to be a '66.

You are absolutely CORRECT. I just finished editing my earlier post because as you said the 66 was one year only and the ashtray is not below the radio but up on the dash face. Still searching.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Have a look through the Ghia user manuals in The Samba Archive, a picture of the dash appears in the first pages of each: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Have a look through the Ghia user manuals in The Samba Archive, a picture of the dash appears in the first pages of each: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia.php

Thanks John!
Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

That inner door handle started -64 and considered the dash I would say -64 or -65..

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Viktor Cz. wrote:
That inner door handle started -64 and considered the dash I would say -64 or -65..

Thank you Viktor! Narrowing it down it seems to those years.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Look in the front, spare tire well, passenger side, see if there's a body stamp in there. That will tell you when the body was made.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694505
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

1965 last year for that ashtray on the dash. 64/65 difference is heater control handles (i think). 64 has a twist handle on tunnel, 65 pulls at side of the E brake handle. Enjoy it!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
1965 last year for that ashtray on the dash. 64/65 difference is heater control handles (i think). 64 has a twist handle on tunnel, 65 pulls at side of the E brake handle. Enjoy it!!

Not sure if these heater control handles are original to the car but here is their configuration by emergency brake and aftermarket seatbelt buckles.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

You won't be able to use the heater controls as any indicator of the body's model year, because they're the originals from the 73 pan.

It's either a late 64 or 65 body. The way you tell the difference is the front trunk latch. 64 still had the earlier latch. 65 was the first year for the later latch.
The rear view mirror will also be different. 64 still head the earlier rear view with the sun visors attached to the mirror. 65 had the 65-66 mirror where the sunvisors are attached to the body so they can pivot for shading from the side.

But since you said the PO recalls the original color as Bermuda Blue, I'm going to say it's a 65 because Bermuda wasn't offered in 64.

BTW the reason I would say late 64 above and not all of 64 (if it does have the early trunk latch) is because the front turn signals changed halfway through the 64 model year. Early 64 got the earlier glass front turn signals, and they switched to the later plastic ones halfway through the year. Of course it is entirely possible that the original glass ones could've been replaced by plastic ones at some point.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
You won't be able to use the heater controls as any indicator of the body's model year, because they're the originals from the 73 pan.

It's either a late 64 or 65 body. The way you tell the difference is the front trunk latch. 64 still had the earlier latch. 65 was the first year for the later latch.
The rear view mirror will also be different. 64 still head the earlier rear view with the sun visors attached to the mirror. 65 had the 65-66 mirror where the sunvisors are attached to the body so they can pivot for shading from the side.

But since you said the PO recalls the original color as Bermuda Blue, I'm going to say it's a 65 because Bermuda wasn't offered in 64.

BTW the reason I would say late 64 above and not all of 64 (if it does have the early trunk latch) is because the front turn signals changed halfway through the 64 model year. Early 64 got the earlier glass front turn signals, and they switched to the later plastic ones halfway through the year. Of course it is entirely possible that the original glass ones could've been replaced by plastic ones at some point.

Great detective work, thanks! Seems early 1965 due to Sun Visor’s and Bermuda Blue paint code for 65 model year.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Agree with Era, 65. If 64, the turning heater knob or evidence of once being there would survive. Not a good rear view mirror pic, would also be diff. The rear deck lid on 1965 originally had a Volkswagen script like...

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Agree with Era, 65. If 64, the turning heater knob or evidence of once being there would survive.

It's on a 73 pan though, so there wouldn't be evidence of the heater knob even if it was a 64 body

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Agree with Era, 65. If 64, the turning heater knob or evidence of once being there would survive.

It's on a 73 pan though, so there wouldn't be evidence of the heater knob even if it was a 64 body

Yes, youre right, and i still agree with you. Embarassed
Heljestrand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a 2nd Ghia 73 Chassis earlier body ID help please Reply with quote

Guys thank you so much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: